What's new

IAF at Farkhor Air Base in Tajikistan present & future Ambitions

The origins of India stationing Fighter and Heli units in Tajik airbase lie in 1999 Kandahar hijacking ..after IC-814 was hijacked and flown to Kandahar.

Indian govt realized they had no base in the region from which launch a covert mission against the Pakistani hijackers or the Taliban fighters who were giving them protection, giving them no wiggle room but to negotiate with the terrorists.

Hence with Russian assistance, Tajikastan was approached.. with India paying for renovation and the expansion of the base ..in exchange for India being allowed to station Mi-17, Mig -29 and probably some special forces units.

Indeed I have already but forgive me if I cant provide you with a "link" about what PAF briefings are on this matter ;)
the airbase itself and the presence of IAF is well established from countless pictures and news items.

for China and Pakistan this base presents a possible/ potential threat regardless of the fact how small or bit it is.
whether its active or dormant, whether its just a surveillance setup or actually aspired to spearhead possible attacks on Pakistan from the Western side is all down to personal opinion and assumptions.

but since the news of the IAF combat planes came out our Sakardu base has also got the visits and possible permanent stay of the F-16s. which means PAF is not dismissing the significance of that base.

the discussion will most probably move to what combat planes PAF can field there. we know F-16s are there now and so will be JF-17s which are replacing our legacy aircraft's that used to be stationed at Sakardu.

1207314.jpg

whatever the real purpose of the Farkhor Airbase. PAF is not taking any chances. I cant speak for the Chinese on how they see it. maybe someone from their side can comment on it.

your basic assumption that the base is a threat to Pakistan and China is wrong.

Nobody including china believes that it's a threat to China.

Regarding Pakistan, Unless you are huge fauji fan, India was never a threat nor will ever be a threat to Pakistan, for the following reason:

The only Land that India seeks or still claims but is controlled by Pakistan is *** and even that dispute has been further complicated by Pakistan by seeding some part of it to china. Most importantly though, India is committed to dialogue as way to solve the conflict not war and demonstrated it by showing impossibly strong restraint after Mumbai attacks. (You might think Nuclear deterrence played the part but it didn't )

This base is just not one base but its significance to change in indian foreign policy....now we are thinking out maintaining airbases and possibly entire army base in foreign country. This type of strategic changes are made in period of years and this airbase is one of the earliest attempts. It also sends a strong message to neighboring countries about the offensive nature of the armed forces and putting them always on alert on a front which wasn't the worry in the past. This airbase is breathing down the neck of Pakistan and China, even if its a small base of at max 1 squadron, subsequent resources to counter it have to be used making other country to spread it resources and creating gaps.....

Andaman and Nicobar islands are consider as unsinkable aircraft carrier of india...similarly if india makes similar airbases in Seychelles or Maldives, or along SA or eastern Africa, the majority of arabian sea and bay of bengal will be covered without depending more on our aircraft carriers.

As Irfan said, its the spread of an empire, in our case a nation over achieving the title of Indian ocean as "India's" Ocean in south and installing our assets on northern end in CARs countries to diverge the attack of an aggressor from north.

We have a presence in Antananarivo, Madagaskar. Also we may get something in Mauritius in the near future.

Your ambitions are no different then america's To be the sol & regional super power,but that's only in your dreams.Let the time decide because time is the best judge.You've been our friend throughout 65 years.Its you our friend who wants to kill your friend by water.Isn't that right???

As far as region is concerned, there's no debate even today. These moves have no implications for region. These are bigger issues. Pakistan need not concern itself with these things. You have your Nuclear weapons as deterrent anyway and India has no interests in war. why would you be concerned?

As far as region is concerned, there's no debate even today. These moves have no implications for region. These are bigger issues. Pakistan need not concern itself with these things. You have your Nuclear weapons as deterrent anyway and India has no interests in war. why would you be concerned?

until our core issues are not resolved we are hostile to each other, so any move that has a military angle to it has the potential to cause alarm on the opposing side.

consider the news of a PAF base in China bordering India and then decide if you would accept our assurances or not?

the base might have more regional goals not entirely focused for Pakistan but given the proximity, its location and our less than impressive relationship only leave us with the choice of caution and prepare accordingly.

Base in Madagascar and Mauritius makes a lot of sense in order to maintain sole dominance in the Indian ocean

They are primarily for anti piracy operations and to keep an eye on foreign naval vessels transiting through.

There is no vote of innocence here.. Here is the line that my post is meant to address

thats the exact reason why I am requesting you to dont give it more importance than a fanboy Jingoism & boasting.
the more you will keep coming back to that statement the more you will waste yours and my time.

They are primarily for anti piracy operations and to keep an eye on foreign naval vessels transiting through.

I do agree there is always a threat from somali pirates among others but dont you think that "Anti piracy operations" is just an excuse and politically correct way of telling the world that we are establishing a naval base in the region ;)

until our core issues are not resolved we are hostile to each other, so any move that has a military angle to it has the potential to cause alarm on the opposing side.

consider the news of a PAF base in China bordering India and then decide if you would accept our assurances or not?

the base might have more regional goals not entirely focused for Pakistan but given the proximity, its location and our less than impressive relationship only leave us with the choice of caution and prepare accordingly.

Don't repeat what your Diplomats talk on the media.

Core issues, my ***. There are no core issues. Pakistan is just trying to squeeze some parts of Kashmir. that's truth.
That's why this Kashmir solidarity(officially), Jihad e kashmir(unofficially).
The worst part is Kashmiris feel, what do these Pakistanis think of themselves? It's because of them we are in such am mess and living in a highly militarized conflict ridden situation.

As long as there is Pakistan, there will be no "azadi" to them(within India or otherwise). so either demise of Pakistan with azadi to kashmir or Pakistan can stay and forget p O k and Kashmir as per Indian proposals or continue this low intensity conflict.

Don't kid yourself with terms like 'core issues' and 'bone of contention'.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Just because one party says it's the core issue, that doesn't become one. The other side must agree too.

Why do you keep harping on the Kashmir issue ... this is what leaders both military and civilian are doing for last 60+ yrs to return to power ,loot the countries and make fools of ordinary civilians , do you really think there is/will be any visionary leaders on either side who can solve the K-issue???

Maintaining status quo is the only option we have vis a vis Kashmir or turn LOC to IB .. come on be fair you already have a share of Kashmir and we have a share of Kashmir .... All we need to do is improve the standard of living of average kashmiri on either side of the border . Or if you have a better solution to core problems which will be acceptable to both countries please advise !

Why do you keep harping on the Kashmir issue ... this is what leaders both military and civilian are doing for last 60+ yrs to return to power ,loot the countries and make fools of ordinary civilians , do you really think there is/will be any visionary leaders on either side who can solve the K-issue???

Maintaining status quo is the only option we have vis a vis Kashmir or turn LOC to IB .. come on be fair you already have a share of Kashmir and we have a share of Kashmir .... All we need to do is improve the standard of living of average kashmiri on either side of the border . Or if you have a better solution to core problems which will be acceptable to both countries please advise !

Riled you the very hint of it yea? That’s what needs to be addressed.
My response was to a seemingly innocent question in post number 35, which pretty much made the poster loose the plot, but since I am involved in this thread so I chose to ignore him but since you chose a less inflammatory reaction so a response is in order.
So the reason I have regarding your opening statement styled in the question is.

-Because it is this issue which has caused almost all wars between the two countries
-Because it is this issue which has forced both of us get locked in a fight in the tallest and coldest battlefields.
-Because of it you are forced to place over a million strong army to suppress the local uprising & dissent.
-Because we both disagree upon the way chain of events took place.
-Because we both disagree about its status and question about the rights of Kashmiris.
-Because it is the main reason why we both have most of our armies amassed along the borders on either side.

I am not willing to make it another Kashmir argument thread so i wont comment on your last paragraph. That’s why I didn’t even use the word but it had its effect on you. So unfortunately for you and us, whenever we or someone else will try to understand why we fought before and why we have one of the most militarized borders with the Nuclear aspect as well then they will come to the same answer which you term as harping. I don’t want to defend my stand and am not rejecting yours either but just stating the reasons as they are.

It is the very reason that our past attempts didn’t bear fruit when we tried to overlook this issue. You blame us and we blame you and that doesn’t deescalate the situation and thus we see each other with suspicion whenever there is a development having a military angle.

Riled you the very hint of it yea? That’s what needs to be addressed.
My response was to a seemingly innocent question in post number 35, which pretty much made the poster loose the plot, but since I am involved in this thread so I chose to ignore him but since you chose a less inflammatory reaction so a response is in order.
So the reason I have regarding your opening statement styled in the question is.

-Because it is this issue which has caused almost all wars between the two countries
-Because it is this issue which has forced both of us get locked in a fight in the tallest and coldest battlefields.
-Because of it you are forced to place over a million strong army to suppress the local uprising & dissent.
-Because we both disagree upon the way chain of events took place.
-Because we both disagree about its status and question about the rights of Kashmiris.
-Because it is the main reason why we both have most of our armies amassed along the borders on either side.

I am not willing to make it another Kashmir argument thread so i wont comment on your last paragraph. That’s why I didn’t even use the word but it had its effect on you. So unfortunately for you and us, whenever we or someone else will try to understand why we fought before and why we have one of the most militarized borders with the Nuclear aspect as well then they will come to the same answer which you term as harping. I don’t want to defend my stand and am not rejecting yours either but just stating the reasons as they are.

It is the very reason that our past attempts didn’t bear fruit when we tried to overlook this issue. You blame us and we blame you and that doesn’t deescalate the situation and thus we see each other with suspicion whenever there is a development having a military angle.

Circular reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom