What's new

India can build nuclear aircraft carrier, warships: Kakodkar

This is a credible claim as India has the technology both to build both the hull and also a nuclear propulsion system.

It is weird but India is the first country in the world that has the technology to make nuclear propulsion but not gas turbines for large ships.

india can't even sail a 1950's UK carrier sold for scrap without colliding with a civilian ferry..... nevermind build a nuclear propulsion carrier.

india can't even sail a 1950's UK carrier sold for scrap without colliding with a civilian ferry..... nevermind build a nuclear propulsion carrier.

Actually this is something that India can do.

It make take a decade but they now have the technological base to do it.

I am a 19 year old,i have a election id card , and I can go to a election booth and can vote for a candidate i choose. Just saying.........!

Surely we have the technology to build the propulsion but whether we require it in immediate future that is a question. As India is not a country whose AC need to be on sea for 6 months - 9 months at a stretch. We don't have any adversaries way far as at west as USA has on east. This is also the reason why Russia never tried to compete with USA on this technology. Rather nuclear submarine from my perspective will be more useful as it can remain underwater hidden from enemy surveillance and spy satellites. The other advantage with nuclear submarine is it can remain alone and doesn't need support of a group of ships which is the situation with AC and also one can build 2-3 nuclear submarines at the same cost involved in building a nuclear powered AC.
One more disadvantage of nuclear powered AC for a country like India is that it will unnecessary require India to use more enriched uranium as a fuel to power a AC which doesn't provide any significant advantage over conventional powered AC.

Yaar pahle waise bhi time par bna lo thik se.. Ye CAN wala dialogue rahne do, we all know you Government people even can make space ships also..

Yaar pahle waise bhi time par bna lo thik se.. Ye CAN wala dialogue rahne do, we all know you Government people even can make space ships also..

By the way we are on the way making our own space ship,vehicle i mean.

Frustrate maat ho yaar. India is building AC for the first time, so neither they had good idea about the time it takes nor had the facility which require investment and time. So don't lose hope, I think India post 2020 will completely be a new place than what it is now atleast at the defence arena.

Instead of posting this type of troll first U people practice to take-off and land on AC.

Congrats to India for launching their first indigenous nuclear-powered sub.

While I do think India will eventually build nuclear-powered aircaft carriers on their own, this Kakodkar guy in the article makes it seem like India will start building these ships any time tomorrow. I don't think an indigenously-built Indian nuclear-powered ACC, with modern features, will arrive for at least a few decades. It's one thing building a relatively small nuclear-powered sub, but it's another thing building a whole nuclear-powered ACC with modern features.

China commissioned its first indigenous nuclear-powered sub in 1974 and it's only until recently they've begun to develop the facilities and resources to start building a nuclear-powered ACC. Even then, I wouldn't expect a Chinese nuclear-powered ACC for at least a decade. I know India has been operating ACCs longer than China, but their ACC building experience is limited, even in building small conventional ACCs, let alone a modern nuclear-powered ACC.

I'm not trying to knock India, on the contrary it's a noteworthy achievement to build your own nuclear-powered sub, that only a handful of countries have achieved. It's comments from people like Kakodkar who jump the gun and pronounce they have achieved something they have not yet attained. It prematurely gets Indian's hopes up and sets people up with unrealistic expectations. I'm sure smart military observers know these things take a long time to develop but many casual observers don't and get carried with the premature trumpet blowing. But all the best to India in this endeavour and hope to see these ships in the water in the future.

Congrats to India for launching their first indigenous nuclear-powered sub.

While I do think India will eventually build nuclear-powered aircaft carriers on their own, this Kakodkar guy in the article makes it seem like India will start building these ships any time tomorrow. I don't think an indigenously-built Indian nuclear-powered ACC, with modern features, will arrive for at least a few decades. It's one thing building a relatively small nuclear-powered sub, but it's another thing building a whole nuclear-powered ACC with modern features.

China commissioned its first indigenous nuclear-powered sub in 1974 and it's only until recently they've begun to develop the facilities and resources to start building a nuclear-powered ACC. Even then, I wouldn't expect a Chinese nuclear-powered ACC for at least a decade. I know India has been operating ACCs longer than China, but their ACC building experience is limited, even in building small conventional ACCs, let alone a modern nuclear-powered ACC.

I'm not trying to knock India, on the contrary it's a noteworthy achievement to build your own nuclear-powered sub, that only a handful of countries have achieved. It's comments from people like Kakodkar who jump the gun and pronounce they have achieved something they have not yet attained. It prematurely gets Indian's hopes up and sets people up with unrealistic expectations. I'm sure smart military observers know these things take a long time to develop but many casual observers don't and get carried with the premature trumpet blowing. But all the best to India in this endeavour and hope to see these ships in the water in the future.

I am sure that this 'Kakodkar guy', head of atomic energy commission, one of the top shots of department of atomic energy and among the leaders of the group making and fitting nuke plant in sub is more than just a casual observer.

We have miniaturized a nuke plant enough to fit in a sub, and we have a 'small conventional ACC' under construction.

I agree we wont attempt it anytime soon, but the reasons are more along the lines that we dont need it, we dont want to project power far away from home. Presently or in near future we dont have a support group which can follow a carrier for months. It is costly to build and maintain. And some more.

Back
Top Bottom