What's new

India could seek foreign help for light combat aircraft

all those who think that the LCA is dead and buried just a point of view 3 countries of the world are working behind it now, israel,russia and france now just need to do a rethinking.
thanx

Any proof on this regard will be appreciated..

I am amazed that you are asking for proof.
Its an agreement and available on many websites.
You can consult wekiepeida
Its a joint venture project :D

Last edited:
all those who think that the LCA is dead and buried just a point of view 3 countries of the world are working behind it now, israel,russia and france now just need to do a rethinking.
thanx

Atlast India went for International support

thanx

lol it took india almost 3 decades to put LCA operational with the assistance of France Isreal US Russia and just imagine how many years it would have taken india if they were making this plane 90-100% on their own! 50-60 years? just amazing.

Any proof on this regard will be appreciated..

JF-17 stands Joint Fighter - 17

The PAC JF-17 Thunder (Urdu: تھنڈر), also known in China as the Chengdu FC-1 Fierce Dragon (Chinese: 枭龙; pinyin: Xiāo Lóng) [1], is a single-seat, multi-role fighter aircraft jointly developed by Chengdu Aircraft Corporation of China and Pakistan Aeronautical Complex of Pakistan. The "JF" and "FC" designations stand for "Joint Fighter" and "Fighter China" respectively. The first two aircraft were delivered to the Pakistan Air Force on 12 March 2007.[2] The JF-17/FC-1 is designed to be a cost-effective aircraft which can meet the tactical and strategic needs of air forces of developing countries. On 22 January 2008, Pakistan started serial production of the aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra

Reference for your kind information:-
JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol it took india almost 3 decades to put LCA operational with the assistance of France Isreal US Russia and just imagine how many years it would have taken india if they were making this plane 90-100% on their own! 50-60 years? just amazing.

sir thats not the way it should be viewed firstly india tried themselves and partialy succedded then suddenly the economic boom brought lot of cash in its hand,to bet with then came the big indian elephant:lol:the MRCA .it made the competitors to sway the indians in their own way,france is ready to offer engines and work jointly,the us is acting directly and indirectly through israel with avionics package,the mig is ready to part with important tech on aircraft design and engine development,unconfirmed and widely speculated thought also came out that mig was willing to part will all the blueprints and technical expertise with its 1.44 ,.142 project which might pave way for some 5th gen technology to be developed by india itself.

thanx

Every one learns from ones mistakes, so if you can get help on how to avoid those mistakes, its a good idea to do so instead of going through trial and error. Although LCA has recently been facing alot of troubles, there is a good chance that the longer it takes to get it right, the better it will be.

If a developed country was taking on such a project. And the longer it stays on the drawing tables, testing and the sort, the more the developers will see the trend changing and new technology arriving in the world. And they will want to enhance the capabilities of their plane to match the rest of the world. So in the end the product would be much better than it would have been. But since India is not a developed country I can't say for sure that it would actually be any better.

Also I would like to say currently JF-17 MK1 is widely regarded as 3.5 gen plane, and the J-10A 4 gen. The J-10B or FC-20 that PAF will be getting will be 4.5 gen plane. JF-17 MK2 will most likely be very close to 4 gen, with the potential to go higher (but that would be a waste of resources, because PAF requirements will be met already by then). And if the LCA comes out in the near future, it will most likely be in the same class as the base 3.5 gen plane and the MK2 version most likely being 4 gen. There is no chance that it will be any better, a country which has never made fighter jets before, doesn't just start making 4.5 gen planes from the get go, you have to learn and research before you start doing trials, and then fix your mistakes. China has a better chance of making a 4.5 gen or 5 gen plane because they have been making jets for a long time.

Every one learns from ones mistakes, so if you can get help on how to avoid those mistakes, its a good idea to do so instead of going through trial and error. Although LCA has recently been facing alot of troubles, there is a good chance that the longer it takes to get it right, the better it will be.

If a developed country was taking on such a project. And the longer it stays on the drawing tables, testing and the sort, the more the developers will see the trend changing and new technology arriving in the world. And they will want to enhance the capabilities of their plane to match the rest of the world. So in the end the product would be much better than it would have been. But since India is not a developed country I can't say for sure that it would actually be any better.

Also I would like to say currently JF-17 MK1 is widely regarded as 3.5 gen plane, and the J-10A 4 gen. The J-10B or FC-20 that PAF will be getting will be 4.5 gen plane. JF-17 MK2 will most likely be very close to 4 gen, with the potential to go higher (but that would be a waste of resources, because PAF requirements will be met already by then). And if the LCA comes out in the near future, it will most likely be in the same class as the base 3.5 gen plane and the MK2 version most likely being 4 gen. There is no chance that it will be any better, a country which has never made fighter jets before, doesn't just start making 4.5 gen planes from the get go, you have to learn and research before you start doing trials, and then fix your mistakes. China has a better chance of making a 4.5 gen or 5 gen plane because they have been making jets for a long time.

You are generalising the things here..On the onside people are saying India invested almost three decades of R&D on this project ..some of them are saying the effort is not enough to produce an outright 4th generation fighter..
Reaserch is hard effort no one is denying the fact..but there are exceptions in science also..
How much time it took for US to create a nuclear weapon and end ww11..?

The JF 17 will not be marketed by pakistan---the FC 1 will be marketed by china---.
JF-17 is being marketed by a joint Sino-Pakistani organisation that was set up specifically for this purpose from what I have read.

Also I would like to say currently JF-17 MK1 is widely regarded as 3.5 gen plane, and the J-10A 4 gen. The J-10B or FC-20 that PAF will be getting will be 4.5 gen plane. JF-17 MK2 will most likely be very close to 4 gen, with the potential to go higher (but that would be a waste of resources, because PAF requirements will be met already by then). And if the LCA comes out in the near future, it will most likely be in the same class as the base 3.5 gen plane and the MK2 version most likely being 4 gen.
There is no chance that it will be any better, a country which has never made fighter jets before, doesn't just start making 4.5 gen planes from the get go, you have to learn and research before you start doing trials, and then fix your mistakes. China has a better chance of making a 4.5 gen or 5 gen plane because they have been making jets for a long time.

I agree very much with your post sir. Although I personally feel both LCA and JF-17 can be considered very basic 4th gen combat aircraft, I do understand why many label them as 3.5 or 3.75 gen. Their airframes are simply not as advanced in terms of aerodynamics as a canard-delta or a stealth fighter.

Acer if he is generalising, he is making exactly the same generalisations as every other Western aviation enthusiast out there, including the professionals.
If you look at any decent source (sinodefence, milavia), you will see Pakistan contributed half of JF-17's R&D costs. If you don't want to believe Pakistan is to recieve half the profits, that is up to you - shame you always have to be so biased. You say India has developed LCA for decades, but China has copied, modified, built and sold combat jets for decades. You and many others seem to dismiss FC-1 in spite of that. This is called a double-standard.

Last edited:
Proof will be appreciated ..

Can't you do a simple google search?
Here I will help you with that:
JF-17 marketing organisation - Google Search

I guess I may as well show you the VERY FIRST LINK that appears on the google search page:
Stuck in Sichuan: Pakistani JF-17 Program Grounded? No.

How about I quote a paragraph from the article just to make sure you don't miss it:
April 11/08: Jane’s Defence Weekly reports that:

“Pakistan and China have established a joint marketing organisation to promote international sales of their JF-17 ‘Thunder’ fighter aircraft, the head of the main Pakistani arms export agency has told Jane’s. Major General Muhammad Farooq, director general of Pakistan’s Defence Export Promotion Organisation (DEPO), described the JF-17 in early April as an ideal “choice for countries which are mindful of their finances.”

Another interesting part of the article:
Nov 20/08: Pakistani Chief of Air Staff ACM Tanvir Mahmood Ahmad says that aid the first JF-17 squadron would be inducted into the PAF fleet in the first quarter of 2009.

His accompanying announcement that another 36 high-tech combat aircraft (CF-20, probably a version of China’s J-10) would be inducted into the PAF fleet by 2010 got more attention, however. Pakistan Daily | Pak Tribune.

Acer if he is generalising said:
I never said china and pakistan is not capable of building that .My doubt for profit sharing was from the fact that china is working on the project from past two decades ..Where as pakistan was involved in it only recently(1999).And with an invest ment of less than 100 million..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom