What's new

India flexes its muscles, sends Super Hercules aircraft to Ladakh

which is equal to 5000 meters. IL 76 can cruise at much higher altitude. If I am not wrong ( although its long time)- I travelled by IL 76 to Antarctica and that was at more than 10,000 meters . I will have to check my old photos I had taken photo I flight information ..but photo is in India ....

bro service ceiling is not an issue here, what matters is whether an aircraft can take off or land on such altitude because of low air pressure. What C-130J did today is a world record that an medium transport aircraft landed on such an altitude.

if India is using its own planes to land anywhere in India what is the big deal out of it, specially for its own security , it is bolstering its capabilities..why does China needs to be worried or the other way around, if China has airports or infra developed near its border, its his business...but if chinese cross over loc ..then we need to be fighting back..

as per this link ...routine IL 76 sorties have been carried at this sector at DBO also ... although it's not very explicit ...

Daulat Beg Oldi - wikipedia@pedia

bro service ceiling is not an issue here, what matters is whether an aircraft can take off or land on such altitude because of low air pressure. What C-130J did today is a world record that an medium transport aircraft landed on such an altitude.

see post # 63 ...

Nice read...indeed. India Today articles always look pragmatic and balanced .

By the way C 130J and IL 76 are the only two aircrafts which can land in hostile places like Antarctica on snow-strip. Infact C-130J 's prototype first landed in Antarctica under Operation Deep Freeze in 1956. Got to be damn sturdy aircraft to land in Antarctica .

I wonder if IAF has used IL 76 in ladakh ,siachen sector ... ?

/cough /cough

C-17:

c17_antartica.jpg

c-17-antarctica.jpg

C-17.arrival.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...-fP0AWAj4GwAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=568&bih=268

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...RK4qY0QWtroGADg&start=10&sa=N&biw=568&bih=321

I don't think that the link is correct. AFAIK only An-32s and Mi-17s are operated from there. @Abingdonboy

I'm not sure tbh but I've not heard anything about IL-76s operating from DBO- I'm pretty skeptical of such news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indeed for your information Air pressure is very low in Antarctica ....It being the highest continent despite being placed right at bottom of the earth ....!

A HD vid of this event would be pretty spectacular given that background terrain and the beautiful C-130J.

I'm not sure tbh but I've not heard anything about IL-76s operating from DBO- I'm pretty skeptical of such news.

Somebody from IAF should be able to clarify ..whether IL 76 was ever deployed at DBO ....

As far as capability to operate at that altitude is concerned ...It seems IL 76 has requisite capability .

So much damage to the plane in one landing- is it feasible?-

A HD vid of this event would be pretty spectacular given that background terrain and the beautiful C-130J.

You should watch clips from Headlines Today or Times Now. Go to their website, there must be some video about it.

Well It doesn't say that its operated from there. AFAIK IL-76 are operated from Leh and Nyoma but not DBO. Though An-32s can be from any of the three.

AN 32 is much smaller aircraft ...no big deal if it can . And again ALCI ( Antarctica Longistics Centre International ) Russian company uses both IL 76 and AN 32 type aircraft even today in Antarctica . IL 76 for heavy transport from Cape town ( South Africa ) to Novolazarevskaya-Maitri airfield (Antarctica ) distance approx. 6000 km ) . AN 32 ( light transport ) is used to connect other bases in Antarctica from main airfield as connecting flight with maximum distance of 1200 km . Halley-VI ( UK ) research base is approx. 800 km from this air field ...that's why I know .

I have no doubt about IL 76 capability ....because it is used to paraddrop fuel tanks to Vostok station ( Pole of Cold ) . Altitude , air pressures and blizzards all are worse in Antarctica than anywhere else on earth !!!

Back
Top Bottom