What's new

India plans to upgrade T-90 Main Battle Tank

not licensed, rather a joint venture. As of today, NO Chinese engineer is working in any factory in HIT.

Back to t-90..

NEW DELHI — The Indian Army will upgrade more than 600 Russian-built T-90 tanks by adding new features and replacing their thermal imaging sights, navigation systems and fire control systems at a cost of more than $250 million.

The Indian Ministry of Defence formally approved the Army’s three-year-old proposal for the T-90 upgrade Feb. 24, and the tender for the upgrade will be sent only to domestic defense companies, an MoD source said.

The upgraded T-90 tanks will have air-conditioning systems, which will be developed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The tanks’ existing armor protection systems, navigation gear, thermal imaging sights and fire control systems will be replaced.

India contracted to acquire 310 T-90s from Russia in 2001, 190 of which were license-produced at the Avadi-based, state-owned ordnance factory. Another contract was signed in 2007 for the licensed production of 330 tanks. The lack of an air conditioning system in these tanks caused damage to their thermal imaging systems when operating in hot climates, an Army official said.

The Army plans to procure a total of 1,657 T-90s by 2020, which will include 1,000 tanks produced indigenously under full transfer of technology from Russia, with all parts made in India.

“DRDO had earlier attempted to mount air conditioning systems on the tanks, but were stopped by Russia, citing intellectual property rights,” said Arun Sehgal, a retired Army brigadier general and defense analyst.

“The Russians were then asked to fit the air conditioning systems in the T-90 tanks, but the attempt was unsuccessful,” Sehgal said. The intellectual property rights issue has since been resolved between India and Russia.

Another Army official said, “The thermal imaging system of the T-90 tanks were faulty from the initial stage.”

Rahul Bhonsle, another retired Indian Army brigadier general and defense analyst, said, “A major part of the proposed upgrade will include providing an enhanced fire control potential because in the comparative trials between the Arjun and T-90 tanks last year, the Arjun had demonstrated a superior sighting system than the Russian tank.”

The Army carried out comparative trials between the heavier homemade Arjun and the lighter Russian-built T-90 in the deserts of Rajasthan last year, with the aim of assessing the Arjun’s combat worthiness.

Both the Arjun and T-90 are being produced at the Avadi factory. Production of the Mark-1 model of the Arjun has begun with 124 tanks ordered. The first Mark-2 models, of which 124 also are ordered, are expected by early 2016.

The indigenous production of about 1,000 additional T-90s has been contracted, but production has not yet begun.

“The Russians have not provided full-scale [intellectual property rights] and are withholding some critical designs; thus, full-scale indigenization has been held up in Avadi,” Bhonsle said.

A Russian diplomat, however, said Russia is supplying all necessary technology, and that the responsibility for production delays rests with the Avadi factory.

An official of the Ordnance Factory Board, which administers the Avadi factory, said the Russians have supplied only 40 percent of the technology and nearly none since 2008.

Indian Army To Upgrade T-90 Tanks With Domestic Help | Defense News | defensenews.com

tanka.png

ukrainengine.png

Last edited:
This is the dirt cheap Al zarrar

7c5648d967e84d9377c83049e59b1424.jpg

it looks like some thing from a 1950 black & whiTe film.

Now this is what we call modern tanks

Dazzler look and weep

28e45a16965f21e55687c86dd404603a.jpg

bb17c3c0e47cf646da91ca3b68b0ed37.jpg

DAZZLER

The problem with you guys YOU never have any real funds to buy real military hardware.

You make do with second used stuff

or cheap upgrades like your T69 called AL ZARRAR

Last edited:

View attachment 94140

Dazzler look and weep

View attachment 94153

View attachment 94154

DAZZLER

The problem with you guys YOU never have any real funds to buy real military hardware.

the problem with you is false pride without looking at the mess your army is in. Imagine the horrid of no mbt without issues as i explained in my posts, look, read and try to comprehend if you can.

Lol 4 million USD per tank?
That also Pakistan could not sell?
Al Khalid MBT-2000 / Type 2000 Main Battle Tank
hey kid,

your source is way too wrong, out dated and has all wrong information. atleast google properly.
dont let me expose your arjun stories in a t-90 thread or i will bury it for good.

search project p-90 in google if you like alkhalid that much, it will teach you something.

back to t-90...

there is more to the story, initially there was interest in shtora APS but Russians wanted a separate contract to be signed, so the plan got cancelled. More later..

Last edited:
Lol 4 million USD per tank?
That also Pakistan could not sell?
Al Khalid MBT-2000 / Type 2000 Main Battle Tank

yes they can, they are joint partners so they can and have attempted to do so to saudi arabia and malaysia, alkhalid version.

Problem is that you guys have no info but love to jump the gun. FYI, bangladesh has paid $5 million per tank for mbt 2000 version

View attachment 94140

Dazzler look and weep

View attachment 94153

View attachment 94154

DAZZLER

Just to refresh Storm force memory, posting 10 years old pics of Al-Zarrar doesn't prove your point. It only means you need to update your knowledge

69b96a15fd492df48400b83ad32d0032.jpg

2ufrdip-jpg.38129
10455203_10152306588002663_4788446377515703222_n-jpg.38051

ll-jpg.38054

Just to refresh Storm force memory, posting 10 years old pics of Al-Zarrar doesn't prove your point. It only means you need to update your knowledge

View attachment 94337

2ufrdip-jpg.38129

ll-jpg.38054

well,
you are wasting your breathe on a wall that has no knowledge, no comprehension ability and yet loves to present his mighty numbers..

i know ground realities and talk about them, not at liberty to discuss any further. the fact is that t90 has several issues of varying nature despite being in service for almost a decade which should not be acceptable at all. more later.

Source: India plans to upgrade T-90 Main Battle Tank | Page 4
Oh, I would love to hear the ground realities. But your posts seems like dick comparison contest. I don't remember saying that the tanks are not with out problems. I clarified the bigger picture. The T-90's have problems, the crew drives/sits in the tank with the hatches open. But its still a tank, a tank that is by all measure not too far off from the performance or PA tanks. Your tanks, where designed around the T-72. So please enlighten me on any more issues, because it still doesn't make a difference to the IA numerical superiority which leaves PA funding tactical nukes. The rounds for the T-90 are not usable for T-72. Any issue with ammunition can be resolved, but I don't think a crew that drives a death bucket like T-72 would be afraid of their own ammunition during war. If the situation is as bad as you make it sound with your 1 liners with no conclusion the PA wouldn't need to spend money on tanks or artillery. That isn't the case is it? Bit of advice, don't be blind sided by your nationalism. Soldiers who don't underestimate the enemy win wars, not the ignorant soldiers. But then again Pakistan has a track record of losing wars even when they have a technology, numerical advantage.

@narcon @Storm Force @jatt
forget it mate, you cant argue with Dazzler. He will continue with my PA stronk, your IA weak argument. Despite giving him perfact evidence that atleast 70% Of all IA tanks including Arjun, T72 & t90 being already integrated with night vision, he is still stuck with 1/3 of our tanks doesn't have NV argument. Only thing he stated without a fault was integration of ac system to t90s. Other than that, others are usual blabaring.
From his point of view Al khalid: Al Zarrar > Arjun, T90 , T72.
So no point arguing with him, he knows more than our own generals & soldiers.

View attachment 94337

2ufrdip-jpg.38129

ll-jpg.38054

Advice the same to your mate. He is also kind of person who keeps on bringing 5-10 years old news articles & proclaims to know more than our generals.
Al Zarrar with upgrades looks modern. Good job by engineers. Cheap solution for army's need of mbts, but I like the approach. Can you kindly elaborate details of al Zarrar upgrades.

Last edited:
Whenever I think of these shiny new T-54 derivatives AL Zarrars, this image reminds of the ground fact:Hollow threat.
And please, no one leaves air as filling material in combat zone.

8077b11b08f1413c680e08b74d399245.jpg

Only a country like Pakistan would modernise a fifty year old tank.

I am not convinced that these tanks have suitable engines armour or fire control or ammo to last in a modern battlefield .

This is like India upgrading vijantya tanks.

Thankfully we showed better sense ordered t90 and inducted arjuns

The main reason our army enjoys s budget five times their size

Only a country like Pakistan would modernise a fifty year old tank.

I am not convinced that these tanks have suitable engines armour or fire control or ammo to last in a modern battlefield .

This is like India upgrading vijantya tanks.

Thankfully we showed better sense ordered t90 and inducted arjuns

The main reason our army enjoys s budget five times their size

nope, include russia, china, ukraine, czek republic to that list too ;)

As i said, you better not open mouth on things you have no clue about kid.

@narcon @Storm Force @jatt
forget it mate, you cant argue with Dazzler. He will continue with my PA stronk, your IA weak argument. Despite giving him perfact evidence that atleast 70% Of all IA tanks including Arjun, T72 & t90 being already integrated with night vision, he is still stuck with 1/3 of our tanks doesn't have NV argument. Only thing he stated without a fault was integration of ac system to t90s. Other than that, others are usual blabaring.
From his point of view Al khalid: Al Zarrar > Arjun, T90 , T72.
So no point arguing with him, he knows more than our own generals & soldiers.

the article is from2014 and 2013, are you that weak in maths??

Instead of addressing issues at hand, it is this false pride and absolute wrong knowledge of handling things that has led IA into the mess they are in today. Heck, they dont even have a replacement for vintage artillery like Bofors. Before you jump again, TATA gun is yet to be tested, finalised. I have so many mishaps to share but it would make your life miserable, nights unsleepable so i leave it at that for.

The worst part about the t90 equation is that it is serving well with all customers, except India. Ask Algerians why they never had an issue when it is operated in parts of sahara region? Why its optics, fcs, engine and transmission keep working there? While you are at it, also ask them to fit a proper cooling solution atleast for electronics if not for crew. :hitwall:

Last edited:
nope, include russia, china, ukraine, czek republic to that list too ;)

As i said, you better not open mouth on things you have no clue about kid.

the article is from2014 and 2013, are you that weak in maths??

Instead of addressing issues at hand, it is this false pride and absolute wrong knowledge of handling things that has led IA into the mess they are in today. Heck, they dont even have a replacement for vintage artillery like Bofors. Before you jump again, TATA gun is yet to be tested, finalised. I have so many mishaps to share but it would make your life miserable, nights unsleepable so i leave it at that for.

The worst part about the t90 equation is that it is serving well with all customers, except India. Ask Algerians why they never had an issue when it is operated in parts of sahara region? Why its optics, fcs, engine and transmission keep working there? While you are at it, also ask them to fit a proper cooling solution atleast for electronics if not for crew. :hitwall:

I was talking about links u posted earlier, not about the latest one. I also agreed with you about IA mishandling & integration of ac systems. About replacing artilary, it was all due to bofors scam & baning other vendors. Yup IA was at fault, but mostly Congress govt who is to blame for delays in aquisation.
Anyways, take a chill pill. :)

Back
Top Bottom