What's new

India successfully test fires nuclear capable Dhanush missile

Dhanush Missile

Dhanush-missile.jpg

dhanush6.jpg

prithvi.jpg

^^ I think same vehicle will be used for transport(while being transported from production facility to warship)

The Dhanush concept always takes me by surprise. Nuke-capable Ballistic missiles fired from warships to
attack land targets! A stop-gap measure until SSBNs get ready, I think!

And by what DRDO scientists say above, it seems India is progressing on ASBM (Anti-ship
ballistic missile) tech to make missiles similar to DF-21D, probably versions of
Shaurya/Sagarika or Agni-V.

well i think you are right.

Arihant can carry 4 K 4 or 12 K 15

K 15s range is just 700 KM, but it can be compensated if it is used as ASSLBM( Anti ship SLBM)

i think the IN already has considered option of K 15 being used to destroy enemy ACs and CBGs

Certainly, if that would have been the case, Dhanush would have been dumped in sea the moment Agni V was launched.. but it seems it is a test bed for something else..

Yeah.. but don't know if Jane weekly has to be believed we have ordered couple of missiles for Sukanya class vessels.

but just have a question.. these vessels always carry missiles? or its only the time when deterrent patrol?

in which goddamn doctrine does Ship launched Ballistic missile has any role for that matter ?

if you read post#17 you will get the answer but can't say it has anything to do with Indian Doctorine

If you see it's just a mobile launcher on Land. It won't be too difficult to put it on ship. But I think it's only our need. No ore country in world seem to want such arrangement.

Have a look at this
(MissileThreat :: Ship-Launched Threat)
Lockheed Continues Study of Ship-Launched Threat
November 9, 2005*::*UPI*::*News
Lockheed Martin continues its study on how to meet the threat of ship-launched ballistic missiles which could be delivered against a U.S. city from a ship or freighter a few hundred kilometers offshore, notes UPI. David Kier, Vice-President of Lockheed Martin’s Protection Division, is quoted as saying, “They don't need intercontinental ballistic missile to attack us. An enemy could put a SCUD on a tramp steamer and launch it off the coast.” Kier’s remarks are similar to the warnings Donald Rumsfeld has made on a number of occasions.
******* In August 2005, Defense Daily quoted Kier as discussing Lockheed’s internal study to explore these threats. UPI’s story reports that Lockheed is furthermore working to

…to develop a system called Passive Coherent Locator (PCL) that could detect such a ship-launched missile and feed accurate tracking information into the existing national missile defense command-and-control system for a response.

The PCL system involves a network of sensors that could be operational from Washington to Boston within two years of government funding and along the entire U.S. coastline some years later.

Some 75 percent of the total U.S. population of 290 million people and 75 percent of its military bases are within 200 miles of the coast. The number of potential launch platforms is immense, with 130,000 registered merchant ships in 195 countries, NWIS said.

Thousands of SCUDs and other inexpensive short-range ballistic missiles have been dispersed, sold worldwide with some in countries where terrorist groups operate openly.

Iran test-launched a tactical ballistic missile from a ship last year and the threat has become much worse with the rapid proliferation of cruise missiles. China has already supplied many to Iran.

Some 70 countries already possess an estimated 75,000 anti-ship cruise missiles and many of them could be easily converted to land-attack weapons. At least 10 nations already have land-attack cruise missiles and their number is increasing, NWIS said. …

During congressional testimony early this year, Air Force Lt. Gen. Henry “Trey” Obering, director of the Missile Defense Agency, said he was “concerned about” the potential for a ship-launched missile attack on the United States. “There is a difference of opinion in terms of whether that constitutes a real threat, but that’s something I’m personally concerned about. So we're working on it.”

More recently, Obering told reporters: “We launched a SCUD off an ocean-going platform … It was very easy to do.” …

Lockheed Martin’s PCL has received some assistance in system verification from the government, including defense agencies and NASA, Kier said.
******** The UPI story brings attention to important work being done to consider this near term threat. The story, however, seems to confuse the difference between ballistic missile and cruise missiles—although both could of course be launched from a ship.*(Article, Link)*

thanks for info

Instead of Dhanush i hope they concentrate on Ship launched version of Shaurya. It will be a decent Anti ship missile.

d1.jpg

Actual Image of Missile and this test.

Is there any difference in Missile ?

Doesn't look like Dhanush at all from a distance. More like a whole new missile.

Although I believe that the real purpose of ship-launched BMs in anti-ship warfare.

Instead of Dhanush i hope they concentrate on Ship launched version of Shaurya. It will be a decent Anti ship missile.

Don't worry, thats where we're heading.

d1.jpg

I heard about this ship launched ballistic missile , only one on the world, very crazy and funny to put ballistic missile on ship, only one 9m long ballistic missile on one 2000ton ship, a joke in Chinese forum about India
???????? - - ?? - - ²

159_137190_6f48998f4ad9029.jpg

[
I heard about this ship launched ballistic missile , only one on the world, very crazy and funny to put ballistic missile on ship, only one 9m long ballistic missile on one 2000ton ship, a joke in Chinese forum about India

Read if you can
MissileThreat :: Ship-Launched Threat

Lockheed Continues Study of Ship-Launched Threat
November 9, 2005*::*UPI*::*News
Lockheed Martin continues its study on how to meet the threat of ship-launched ballistic missiles which could be delivered against a U.S. city from a ship or freighter a few hundred kilometers offshore, notes UPI. David Kier, Vice-President of Lockheed Martin’s Protection Division, is quoted as saying, “They don’t need intercontinental ballistic missile to attack us. An enemy could put a SCUD on a tramp steamer and launch it off the coast.” Kier’s remarks are similar to the warnings Donald Rumsfeld has made on a number of occasions.
******* In August 2005, Defense Daily quoted Kier as discussing Lockheed’s internal study to explore these threats. UPI’s story reports that Lockheed is furthermore working to

…to develop a system called Passive Coherent Locator (PCL) that could detect such a ship-launched missile and feed accurate tracking information into the existing national missile defense command-and-control system for a response.

The PCL system involves a network of sensors that could be operational from Washington to Boston within two years of government funding and along the entire U.S. coastline some years later.

Some 75 percent of the total U.S. population of 290 million people and 75 percent of its military bases are within 200 miles of the coast. The number of potential launch platforms is immense, with 130,000 registered merchant ships in 195 countries, NWIS said.

Thousands of SCUDs and other inexpensive short-range ballistic missiles have been dispersed, sold worldwide with some in countries where terrorist groups operate openly.

Iran test-launched a tactical ballistic missile from a ship last year and the threat has become much worse with the rapid proliferation of cruise missiles. China has already supplied many to Iran.

Some 70 countries already possess an estimated 75,000 anti-ship cruise missiles and many of them could be easily converted to land-attack weapons. At least 10 nations already have land-attack cruise missiles and their number is increasing, NWIS said. …

During congressional testimony early this year, Air Force Lt. Gen. Henry “Trey” Obering, director of the Missile Defense Agency, said he was “concerned about” the potential for a ship-launched missile attack on the United States. “There is a difference of opinion in terms of whether that constitutes a real threat, but that’s something I’m personally concerned about. So we’re working on it.”

More recently, Obering told reporters: “We launched a SCUD off an ocean-going platform … It was very easy to do.” …

Lockheed Martin’s PCL has received some assistance in system verification from the government, including defense agencies and NASA, Kier said.
******** The UPI story brings attention to important work being done to consider this near term threat. The story, however, seems to confuse the difference between ballistic missile and cruise missiles—although both could of course be launched from a ship.*(Article, Link)*

Read if you can

one Submarine can do better than 10 these ships, this type ships will be driven out if you arrive 500 KM away to other countries, and be locked all the time on sea

This colour scheme is used when they have Dhanush as target during BMD test. Special coating to resist higher temperature during reentry I guess.

Very interesting indeed.

Does it mean that in a normal firing sequence the missile cone does not face high temperatures during the re-entry phase.

This colour scheme is used when they have Dhanush as target during BMD test. Special coating to resist higher temperature during reentry I guess.

Very interesting indeed.

Does it mean that in a normal firing sequence the missile cone does not face high temperatures during the re-entry phase.

Back
Top Bottom