How is the plan?

• Good

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Average

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 18.0%

• Total voters
In a 4 lane road you can give 2 lanes to buses and it will work smoothly... the best example is the bus lanes in london roads. They are very well managing it even in narrow roads and the traffic never come to a hault here becoz of bus lane or buses. Here during peak time vehicles other than london buses and taxis are not allowed to use bus lane.

Sajan I suggest you type BRT Delhi... it is totally different from other systems..
and giving half the lanes dedicated to buses where other vehicles cannot stray is insane...

The politicians, govt officials, police, commuters everyone is against it.. it is a failure of unprecedented order..

The most importan thing is people should obey basic traffic rules. In India or generally in South Asia most of them dont obey traffic rules. I think this is becoz most of them are getting licence through back doors. This should be stopped for ever. :disagree:

It is not about license but about going scotfree Delhi's traffic sense is not the best but not the worst either... Certain roads which are monitored by cameras and traffic cops have higher compliance rates...

^^^^Delhi's Traffic sense is the WORST in India. Don't try to convince me otherwise.

Every 2nd vehicle in Delhi has a dent on it.

Bombay is far more civilized in these terms.

So over all in zone wise which zone is better and in state wise which state is better?

zone wise is debatable...
Its been South or West
North is riddled with contrasting states
East has no star..

State wise Punjab was better this time. I am betting Gujarat or Haryana or Delhi to usurp that position soon.

North is too preoccupied with identity politics. The potential in north is huge given the dynamism of the people, but getting wasted due to bad politics and governance.

South and West are the stars now. East is a laggard. North is having pockets of great growth but not general improvement all across.

To give an example of Gujarat blazing ahead...
Yes, your reading it right, a single project generating 4000Mw of electricity.

Editorial: Three cheers for UMPPs
Business Standard / New Delhi April 28, 2008

The funding commitments which have been secured for the Rs 17,000 crore ($4.2 billion) "ultra mega" power project (or UMPP) at Mundra in Gujarat should silence the critics of the UMPP policy.

When the idea was floated a couple of years ago, there were doubts about the ability and willingness of companies to come forward and build such large (4,000 Mw) projects. And even if there were some brave companies who were to step forth, they were expected to have trouble finding financiers.

Well, not only has there has been a long list of bidders for these projects, now the first such project to get off the block — backed by Tata Power — has also managed to secure long-tenor funding of up to 20 years despite the sub-prime crisis.
A host of public sector banks, led by the State Bank of India, have committed Rs 5,550 crore to the project. The exclusion of the private sector banks can be explained by their aversion to such long-tenor funding as well as their higher cost of funds vis-à-vis the public sector banks. About half of the non-rupee funding of $1.8 billion has been sourced from the International Finance Corporation and the Asian Development Bank for a 20-year period.

There is also a funding commitment from the Export-Import Bank of Korea and the Korea Export Insurance Corporation, which can be linked to the fact that a Korean firm, Doosan Heavy Industries, has bagged the order for project equipment (boilers). Then there is the equity contribution of Rs 4,250 crore by the promoters of the project, which is to be based on imported coal.

Equipment has already started arriving at the site and commissioning of the first unit of 800 Mw is expected in September 2011, while the whole 4,000 Mw is expected to come on stream by end-2012, more than a year ahead of the committed schedule.
In one wide sweep thus, the country will be adding more capacity than the city state of Delhi typically has access to.

There are two key lessons that need to be drawn from this successful "ultra mega" experience. First, it helps to think big. The larger the project, the lower is the effort per Mw required to push it through. It is therefore better to work on a 4,000 Mw project rather than a 500 mw one, especially when the same 50-odd clearances will be needed for either project. In any case, with a huge demand-supply gap to be plugged in all key infrastructure sectors, no one can afford the indulgence of managing by tweaking policy at the corners. Instead, bold steps are required. Secondly, the government needs to work on "pre-cooking" more infrastructure projects, so that some basic work on greenfield projects is done before they are offered to private investors.

The UMPPs, for instance, were housed in shell companies floated under the public sector umbrella. These special purpose vehicles piloted the preliminary work on clearances and supply linkages, and also signed provisional power purchase agreements with the buyers of power. This pre-cooking effort needs to be expanded in the power sector, as well as in other infrastructure sectors, so that a shelf of bankable projects is ready for picking. Otherwise, the $500 billion investment that is required to fix the country's infrastructure gap over the next five years may never materialise.

Business Standard

What about the Narmadha Sardar Sarovar project and Sethu Samudhra canal project? How will that canal project benefit for India? Why the Indian Gov is lagging the Vizhnjam deep sea container terminal project. Actually India dosent have a big port like Colombo,Dubai, Singapore or Salala? I read somewhere that if Vizhnjam project is finished it will become another Singapore in India..! Then why the Gov is not taking initative in setting these projects??:disagree:

What about the Narmadha Sardar Sarovar project and Sethu Samudhra canal project?

Mate both are different, former is an irrigation and hydroelectric project over Narmada river between maharashtra and gujarath while the latter is a canal or a sea lane akin to suez or pnama that runs near Tamilnadu and SRILANKAN WATER WAYS.
Sajan you are a Srilankan, can you give me an idea as to how Sethu project is viewed there over your place because from what I gather the project was put on hod for several years due to Srilankan pressure as it wuld cause enormous loss to SL since ships need not circumnavigate over SL.

Cheers

What about the Narmadha Sardar Sarovar project and Sethu Samudhra canal project? How will that canal project benefit for India? Why the Indian Gov is lagging the Vizhnjam deep sea container terminal project. Actually India dosent have a big port like Colombo,Dubai, Singapore or Salala? I read somewhere that if Vizhnjam project is finished it will become another Singapore in India..! Then why the Gov is not taking initative in setting these projects??:disagree:

I dont even know of this project mate. I would be grateful if you can provide me details...

Mate both are different, former is an irrigation and hydroelectric project over Narmada river between maharashtra and gujarath while the latter is a canal or a sea lane akin to suez or pnama that runs near Tamilnadu and SRILANKAN WATER WAYS.
Sajan you are a Srilankan, can you give me an idea as to how Sethu project is viewed there over your place because from what I gather the project was put on hod for several years due to Srilankan pressure as it wuld cause enormous loss to SL since ships need not circumnavigate over SL.

Cheers
Mate i know that these two projects are different. But i just want to know the current progress of those two projects. I heard that Narmada project is under pressure from Human rights organisations and Environmental organisations. Well about Sethu Samudhra project.. i am actually not aware of the Srilankan situation becoz i left Sri lanka about 15 yrs back and dont have any contact there now. Wish to go back one day.. but its not so easy.
But i may and can come and settle down in TN or Kerala with my family one day. Thats my dream.:smitten:

I dont even know of this project mate. I would be grateful if you can provide me details...
Malaya , I am surprised to know that you dont know any thing about this "vizhinjam" project. well i guess this link will help u.:agree:
Newsandmore...: Vizhinjam project likely to get rolling

Mate, Delhi has changed SO much in the last 5 years itself, forget about 10, i bet you wont be able to recognize Delhi. Trust me, there is obnoxious amount being spent in Delhi over road infrastructure. Its a road and highway building boom in Delhi and NCR.

Personally, I never had much positive feelings for Delhi.

Sorry for such sweeping generalizations, but it is often said that Delhi has no heart. People don't help each other. If a man is dying on the road, people will continue to walk by and do nothing about it.

Mumbai on the other hand, always had this human quality. Citizens used to lend a helping hand to people who needed it.
Mumbaikars are a lot less agressive, and more civic-minded than perhaps any other city.
Of course, all this is changing fast, thanks to the changing demographics.

In any case, I think Gurgaon is overhyped for now. I"ll post some pics of Navi Mumbai. I think the infrastructure there is a lot better than Gurgaon for the moment.

Personally, I never had much positive feelings for Delhi.

:what:

Sorry for such sweeping generalizations, but it is often said that Delhi has no heart.

I believe the saying goes Dilli Dilwalon ki...

People don't help each other. If a man is dying on the road, people will continue to walk by and do nothing about it.

Heard of crowd mentality happens all over the world.. but never heard of such a thing specifically for Delhi...

Mumbai on the other hand, always had this human quality. Citizens used to lend a helping hand to people who needed it.
Mumbaikars are a lot less agressive, and more civic-minded than perhaps any other city.
Of course, all this is changing fast, thanks to the changing demographics.

Not sure that people really paint such a rosy picture of Mumbai... cramped houses, narrow roads, slums, high rises, stinking sea, heat etc.

but Delhites are very aggressive and civic sense to an extent is lacking...
even the Lt. Gov of Delhi I remember said that North West Indians take pride in breaking the law.. :partay:

In any case, I think Gurgaon is overhyped for now. I"ll post some pics of Navi Mumbai. I think the infrastructure there is a lot better than Gurgaon for the moment.

How far is Navi Mumbai from Mumbai?
Gurgaon IMO is underhyped... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom