What's new

India's 700,000 Army for Kashmir Occupation, while Pakistan Freely recruits from Azad Kashmir!

If true, go ask the Azad kashmir Prime Minister, Azad kashmir government, Pakistan is responsible for Defence, Communications and Currency matters. If women in Azad kashmir are doing this, it has to be catered for, Pakistan can raise this issue, not a big issue. This is exactly what the anchors and people in program say, go ask the PM of Azad Kashmir.

As the anchor said, Azad kashmir need to first get it AZAD by Pakistan's help.

FIRST: The Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) is not a political outfit. As per your Vajpayee ji 'It is a cultural and social organisation and I do not think objection should be raised on anybody joining it, said Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee.

RSS political or not, doesnot matter, like in Pakistan MQM political or not, doesnot matter, RSS is a Hindutva terror group. RSS killed the officer who was investigating the Samjota Express, which killed many innocent Pakistanis. RSS terror is everywhere, RSS lives on Hindu sponsored terror, even Sikhs call RSS, Bajrang Dal, Shiv Sena has certified terror groups.

The Police officer is not a individual infact a Mumbai state Police Office responsible , who labels Indias biggest terror group as The RSS, the India's number one terrorist organisation, there is no doubt on this," said Mushrif, referring to the 2007 Mecca Masjid bombing in Hyderabad, the 2006 and 2008 Malegaon blasts in Maharashtra and the 2007 Samjhauta Express bombings among others.

SECOND: The Terrorism Watch & Warning database contains over 1,00,000 Open source intelligence (OSINT) excerpts from 1999 to present on terrorism and security related issues, attack database of over 10,000 attacks, original terrorism analysis, terrorism document repository, Homeland Security Fact Sheets and profiles over 500 Terrorist/Threat Groups. These are US government sponsored and endorsed think tanks. RSS assasinated Gandhi and has been involved in terrorist activities for 100 years even before India became independent.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/terrorist-rss.77802/#ixzz4ITPriRnT

What's your age?

FIRST: I specifically said RSS is not political, technically, but in reality it has political influence in form of BJP. Can you read that?

Now whether its political or not, RSS is not listed as terror organization in any relevant forum of this world. So stop bullshitting and come up with proof.

1- Is it listed in UN as terror org?
2- Is it listed in Pakistan as terror org?
3- Is it listed in India as terror org?

If not, excuse yourself and no need to quote me back with more rubbish of yours.

SECOND: Quote me official US reading which says RSS is terror organisation. Here is the official list
http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Rahul Gandhi of Congress 2 days back, in a court hearing, back track from his statement which accused RSS of being Gandhi's assassin. Gandhi was father of Indian nation and if Indian courts do not consider RSS as his killer, who are you to say that?

If you have no logical argument with proper citation, please excuse me and engage someone with your mentality, capacity and attitude.

I feel you are the banned member @starwars.

You are funny. :lol:

@Star Wars who ever you are, Hi to you.

Last edited:
What's your age?

FIRST: I specifically said RSS is not political, technically, but in reality it has political influence in form of BJP. Can you read that?

Now whether its political or not, RSS is not listed as terror organization in any relevant forum of this world. So stop bullshitting and come up with proof.

1- Is it listed in UN as terror org?
2- Is it listed in Pakistan as terror org?
3- Is it listed in India as terror org?

If not, excuse yourself and no need to quote me back with more rubbish of yours.

SECOND: Quote me official US reading which says RSS is terror organisation. Here is the official list
http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Rahul Gandhi of Congress 2 days back, in a court hearing, back track from his statement which accused RSS of being Gandhi's assassin. Gandhi was father of Indian nation and if Indian courts do not consider RSS as his killer, who are you to say that?

If you have no logical argument with proper citation, please excuse me and engage someone with your mentality, capacity and attitude.

You are funny. :lol:

Hey desperate Indian: :lol:

FIRST:

So anything that UN lists becomes a terror organization when is India start following UN, when India considers UN legitimate, what about Kashmir UN Resolutions. Why not implement that. How about listing US, UK, Syria, Isreal has UN designated terror countries,? lol. As I said Indian own law and order state Maharashtra consider RSS, Bajrang Dal, Shiv Sena as terror organisation, am not bringing Kashmir, Or Pakistan or any other Muslim country yet.

SECOND:

Again: The Terrorism Watch & Warning database contains over 1,00,000 Open source intelligence (OSINT) excerpts from 1999 to present on terrorism and security related issues, attack database of over 10,000 attacks, original terrorism analysis, terrorism document repository, Homeland Security Fact Sheets and profiles over 500 Terrorist/Threat Groups. These are US government sponsored and endorsed think tanks

Actually India and Indian govt really sucks in politics and diplomacy and even in media propaganda, thats why India and its media keep getting humiliated.

While India keep supporting terror extremists groups like RSS, Bajrang, Dal, Shiva Sena etc etc, Pakistan will make sure to bleed India while raising the voice for the rights of Kashmirs to independent Kashmir state.

Kashmir State is a reality. Kashmir is going to be the next country...it take 1 day, 1 month, 10 years or 100 years, Kashmir will keep the 700,000 Indian army bleeding economically.

India spent $ 21 Billion in Jammu and Kashmir and with the recent increase in violence and uprising in Kashmir, the cost is going to escalate even higher...Indian blood treasure all lost and keep on escalating in Kashmir valley.

http://www.kashmirnewz.com/n000272.html
Please continue.... Please continue to keep supporting terrorist groups. You have already waited for 70 years, we will make sure that you continue to wait.

At the same time i am not sure where you got the the figure of 21 billion defense spendings. Only if you would have read the link which you have posted. a big LOL

"The government in Indian administered Kashmir today said that the cumulative spending will reach $ 21 billion in the next fiscal year.In the last five years including the current fiscal, and the next financial year, we would have spent around Rs 87,000 Crore ($ 21.75 b) and raised approximately INR 80,000 crore ($ 20 b)."

So dude this is the budget of the entire state not the budget of the army. LOL. we have a 2 trillion economy hope you are not forgetting that. UP has a budget of 51 billion. Come again??

And for your pipe dreams of doing russia on India lol our defense spendings are just 1.7 percent of GDP which is way lower than yours and China.

Most of the rant of your answer is more of emotional not substantial. India has still not brought out big guns where it is trying to assimilate dissenting factors and giving them a chance. Once that moment has been passed you will see what it means to be "handled by the army".

ENGINEER RASHID ON PRESENT SITUATION IN KASHMIR WITH SYED ROUF:

FIRST:

So anything that UN lists becomes a terror organization when is India start following UN, when India considers UN legitimate, what about Kashmir UN Resolutions. Why not implement that. How about listing US, UK, Syria, Isreal has UN designated terror countries,? lol. As I said Indian own law and order state Maharashtra consider RSS, Bajrang Dal, Shiv Sena as terror organisation, am not bringing Kashmir, Or Pakistan or any other Muslim country yet.

SECOND:

Again: The Terrorism Watch & Warning database contains over 1,00,000 Open source intelligence (OSINT) excerpts from 1999 to present on terrorism and security related issues, attack database of over 10,000 attacks, original terrorism analysis, terrorism document repository, Homeland Security Fact Sheets and profiles over 500 Terrorist/Threat Groups. These are US government sponsored and endorsed think tanks

we are ready for Kashmir resolution.

So when are you handing over your side of illegally occupied Kashmir back to india to start with?

FIRST:

SECOND:

FIRST: No legal authority, not even Pakistani, call RSS a terrorist organisation. :lol:

I am not sure why I am wasting my time on a fanboy here. :tsk:

SECOND: This database could not convince the US to list RSS as terror organisation along with many terror organisation from Pakistan it has listed. :lol:

I got you. You have got nothing from any legal org from UN, US, UK, EU, Russian, Chinese or even Pakistani . You are a warrior who has got private firms, individual opinions which are politically influenced, and you tube videos as his armaments.

Thus, from now on wards, you are ignored.

Thank you.

So when are you handing over your side of illegally occupied Kashmir back to india to start with?

Brace yourself for you tube videos and rhetoric.

How dare you talk logic. :lol:

Please continue.... Please continue to keep supporting terrorist groups. You have already waited for 70 years, we will make sure that you continue to wait.

At the same time i am not sure where you got the the figure of 21 billion defense spendings. Only if you would have read the link which you have posted. a big LOL

"The government in Indian administered Kashmir today said that the cumulative spending will reach $ 21 billion in the next fiscal year.In the last five years including the current fiscal, and the next financial year, we would have spent around Rs 87,000 Crore ($ 21.75 b) and raised approximately INR 80,000 crore ($ 20 b)."

India spends billions and billions to occupy Jammu and Kashmir, nearly 50% of Indian army is in Kashmir. Actually the figures are much higher how much Kashmir is bleeding Indian forces and its strains on economy.
When did I ever said that $21 Billion is what India spend in arms to control Jammu and Kashmir, I said this $21 you spend is all lost any way, this includes the minimum u spend on development in Kashmir.

At least four corps of the Indian army, corps III and IV in the north-east and XV and XVI (the largest of them) in Jammu and Kashmir, are engaged in internal security operations. Eighty per cent of the nearly one million-strong CPMFs are deployed for internal duties. For instance, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has 85 battalions fighting Maoists and 62 battalions in Jammu and Kashmir. To put it another way, more than 50% of the armed forces are engaged, one way or another, in internal security. There are ways to prevent conflicts escalating into physical fights. And even if a fight breaks out, it is possible to prevent it from escalating through means other than military. Could exploring other options have prevented augmentation of the armed forces?

http://www.sacw.net/article4786.html

Indian Army's Intelligence Spending in Kashmir Surfaces | Media Point :

http://www.mediapoint.pk/indian-armys-intelligence-spending-in-kashmir-surfaces/

We need to settle the Kashmir pandits back to their homeland.
Not just pandits,all the kashmiris who want a peaceful life and not blinded by the wahhibi ideology.all the wahhibis should be crushed not smashed.

Pakistan side, is already Azad Kashmir. PM Azad Kashmir ask Pakistan Army, no issue, infact lets decide together for de-militarisation of Kashmir. An arangement has to be talked out...planned out... Pakistan is ready..It has Azad Kashmir Regiment, India has 700,000 Indian Military soldiers in occupied Kashmir,

Lets talk about Kashmir, lets resolve Kashmir, Lets make an arrangement. Don't run like pussies and cowards as you have been doing since Muslim rule over India for 1000 years.

India spends billions and billions to occupy Jammu and Kashmir, nearly 50% of Indian army is in Kashmir. Actually the figures are much higher how much Kashmir is bleeding Indian forces and its strains on economy.
When did I ever said that $21 Billion is what India spend in arms to control Jammu and Kashmir, I said this $21 you spend is all lost any way, this includes the minimum u spend on development in Kashmir.

At least four corps of the Indian army, corps III and IV in the north-east and XV and XVI (the largest of them) in Jammu and Kashmir, are engaged in internal security operations. Eighty per cent of the nearly one million-strong CPMFs are deployed for internal duties. For instance, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has 85 battalions fighting Maoists and 62 battalions in Jammu and Kashmir. To put it another way, more than 50% of the armed forces are engaged, one way or another, in internal security. There are ways to prevent conflicts escalating into physical fights. And even if a fight breaks out, it is possible to prevent it from escalating through means other than military. Could exploring other options have prevented augmentation of the armed forces?

http://www.sacw.net/article4786.html

Indian Army's Intelligence Spending in Kashmir Surfaces | Media Point :

http://www.mediapoint.pk/indian-armys-intelligence-spending-in-kashmir-surfaces/
Lol chalo lets assume what you are saying is right, we are still spending 1.72 percent of the entire GDP on defence which is still lower than yours.

Let me agree with you on everything for the name sake and then explain it to you

we are still at a stage where we allow separatists to come to delhi and spew venom in Delhi
we still allow them to live, thrive and survive,
we still allow them to have indian passports
we are still not using AK47s instead of pellet guns.

The day security forces took out actual guns instead of pellet guns all these so called protesters will be in their rat holes

Now lets turn the tables and see if move comes to shove and when India starts to assert itself. Who will stop us? Pakistan?? Suicidal much lol
China? For what? They will lose billions of dollars worth of trade and for what, to help their ally gain some territory.
Islamic nations? We are second highest muslim population... ch ch ch
Rest of the world? Now this is becomming funny.

We are still giving a chance Indian way, with peace. So even in the scenerio where India starts to assert you lose.

Pakistan side, is already Azad Kashmir. PM Azad Kashmir ask Pakistan Army, no issue, infact lets decide together for de-militarisation of Kashmir. An arangement has to be talked out...planned out... Pakistan is ready..It has Azad Kashmir Regiment, India has 700,000 Indian Military soldiers in occupied Kashmir,

Lets talk about Kashmir, lets resolve Kashmir, Lets make an arrangement. Don't run like pussies and cowards as you have been doing since Muslim rule over India for 1000 years.
we are ready for talks.
we are ready for resolution of Kashmir
lets move the pundits back to kashmir.

But that is not going to happen at gun point. You cannot blackmail us. Remove all your terror assets. Punish Hafiz Saeed. Stop glorifying terrorists and stop safe havens for terrorists.

As per the UN resolution, Pakistan will have to hand over Kashmir to India in totality. India will maintain minimum forces for security as per mandate. 0 Pakistani presence. Then UN forces will conduct the refrundum. we are ready for it. Bring it on....

Kashmir Is Killing India’s Military and Democracy

It will continue to bleed India.

Pankaj Mishra

In July 1995, an Islamic fundamentalist group called Al Faran kidnapped six foreign tourists, including two Americans, in Kashmir. For a few weeks, the world’s attention was fixed on the Himalayan valley as the allegedly Pakistan-backed militants negotiated with Indian security officials and foreign diplomats.

Eventually, one of the Americans escaped. Another hostage, a Norwegian, was beheaded. The other four were never found.

The Meadow: Kashmir 1995 -- Where the Terror Began,” a staggeringly well-researched new book by two respected journalists, Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clark, concludes that the hostages were killed by local mercenaries funded and controlled by Indian army and intelligence.

The authors argue that the drawn-out negotiation, during which Indian intelligence allegedly knew the hostages’ whereabouts, was a charade, part of India’s larger effort to portray Pakistan as a sponsor of Islamist terror, thereby delegitimizing the Kashmiri struggle for freedom.

Certainly, India today no longer needs to highlight the role of the Pakistani army and intelligence in sponsoring extremist groups. It has appalling facts of its counter-insurgency operations in Kashmir -- tens of thousands killed, and innumerable many tortured, mutilated and orphaned. The tallying in 2009 of 2,700 unmarked graves containing the remains of people (often buried in groups) killed by security forces barely provoked any comment in the international media, let alone expressions of concern by Western leaders.

KILLERS IN KHAKI

But India’s diplomatic and public relations success has been achieved at considerable costs: the rise of militaristic nationalism, the assault on civil liberties, and a dangerously enhanced role in politics for men in uniform.

Most of the million-plus men and women in the Indian military still manifest what Shashi Tharoor once described as “increasingly rare” qualities in India: “high standards of performance, honesty, hard work, self-sacrifice, incorruptibility, respect for tradition, discipline, team spirit.” As a child, I had myself wanted, like many Indians of my generation and class, to acquire the virtuous glow of an army officer’s uniform, and even attended a military school.

It was therefore shocking and demoralizing to encounter, during a visit to Kashmir in 2000, accounts of extrajudicial killings and torture and rape by Indian soldiers -- stories that, though commonplace in Kashmir, were largely kept hidden from the Indian public by a patriotic media.

But to those who reported from Kashmir in the past decade and a half -- as opposed to the many more who were content to disseminate briefings from Indian army and intelligence officials -- “The Meadow” presents a disturbingly familiar picture.

I was there when, during Bill Clinton’s visit to South Asia in March 2000, Indian army officers allegedly kidnapped and killed five Kashmiri villagers and presented their mutilated corpses to the international news media as the Pakistani killers of the 35 Sikhs who had been murdered by unidentified gunmen just hours before Clinton’s scheduled arrival in India. It has taken 12 years for India’s legal system even to acknowledge this well-documented atrocity: Last week, the Supreme Court gingerly asked the army how it wishes to prosecute the officers suspected of the coldblooded murder.

Since 2000, the number of armed militants has steadily decreased in Kashmir. But the human rights situation has not improved. Under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in effect in Kashmir and the northeastern states (where the Indian army was first deployed in counter-insurgency), soldiers can kill on the basis of mere suspicion while continuing to enjoy near-total legal immunity.

REGIME OF IMPUNITY

The result is a regime of impunity. A coalition of Indian human rights groups in a report to the United Nations this year documented 789 extrajudicial killings in the northeastern state of Manipur alone between 2007 and 2010.

In recent years, the army has also been dragged into Operation Green Hunt, the Indian state’s extraordinarily big, armed offensive against Maoist insurgents in central India. Predictably, the use of scorched-earth tactics once deployed in border areas has undermined the general rule of law in the states of Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and West Bengal.

The widened powers of the military against the new electronic media’s background chorus of hypernationalism have given army officers a public role they never had. Breaking with old protocols, the previous army chief openly speculated about a “limited” war under a “nuclear overhang” with Pakistan.

It is also not at all clear if there is any proper governmental oversight of the Indian intelligence agencies, which, mimicking the doomed Pakistani quest for “strategic depth,” have been trying out potentially useful proxies in Pakistan’s Balochistan province as well as Afghanistan. These adventurist spies and the perennially belligerent men in uniform now seem to constitute as formidable a lobby against peace between India and Pakistan as the Islamic zealots on the other side of the border.

Backed by Hindu nationalist leaders, they even dare to overrule elected politicians such as Omar Abdullah, Kashmir’s chief minister, who has been pleading in vain for a withdrawal of the much-despised special powers act.

Their jingoism, echoed by hawkish think tanks and websites (India’s own military-intellectual complex), goes necessarily together with dubious arms purchases. India is now the world’s biggest arms market; a series of scandals have not stopped spending sprees that, as the recent outbursts of the outgoing army chief reveal, do little to prepare India for any conceivable war.

INDIA NO BANANA REPUBLIC

Things are about to get worse. The next Indian army chief comes into office later this month, trailed by allegations of his involvement in an extrajudicial killing in Kashmir. He was also in charge of Indian peacekeeping soldiers accused in 2008 of sexual misconduct in the Congo.

Unlike its Pakistani rival, the Indian army remains firmly under civilian control. A sensationalist recent story in a major Indian newspaper claimed that unauthorized movements of soldiers near New Delhi earlier this year had “spooked” the government. But it is hard to imagine the foolhardy army officers who would attempt a coup in India. Although beset by internal wars and draconian laws and chaotic governance, India is very far from degenerating into, as an exasperated Ratan Tata feared last year, a “banana republic.”

Yet there are plenty of reasons for alarm and dismay over a process that, starting in obscure battles in the northeastern states in the 1960s, was accelerated during the two previous decades in the valley of Kashmir. Levy and Scott-Clark’s book mainly excavates one of the many murky incidents of the 1990s. But its revised draft of history also sheds light on the present -- how a democratic state’s addiction to colonial-style dirty wars has damaged not so much the Kashmiri cause of freedom as India’s frail democracy and one of its last uncompromised institutions.

(Pankaj Mishra, whose new book, “From the Ruins of Empire: The Revolt Against the West and the Remaking of Asia,” will be published in August, is a Bloomberg View columnist, based in London and Mashobra, India. The opinions expressed are his own.)

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2012-05-06/kashmir-is-killing-india-s-military-and-democracy

Thi
INFRASTRUCTURE

The first cable bridge in North India at Basoli, J&K

main-qimg-e8a2bbff9504447f0706d022036a4077-c

main-qimg-31f2f1b02c9af5057ca2fcf0c227eeba-c

JAMMU AIRPORT

main-qimg-6a7935791a5064dd3d7e52f670b606a5-c

LEH AIRPORT

main-qimg-53c3cbb7dfb6225b82ec88d39bdaa311-c

SRINAGAR AIRPORT

main-qimg-df585e19d403b5760b83e880638027ab-c

KASHMIR RAILWAYS

main-qimg-cc0e1cbeeed59ea16a4e0c3902b5fc38-c

main-qimg-3fcbff361a3b1f8e642f5c924a8d7537-c

WORLDS TALLEST ARC TYPE BRIDGE COMING UP IN J&K

main-qimg-0d8de7e252cd9ed35d1d1eeb22826f4c-c

There is also plan to build a new expressway from New Delhi to Katra

Government planning India's longest 600 km expressway to connect Delhi and Katra
These roads railways, airport,and other health stuff is for 700000 Indians soldiers so they travel on mean time to kill Kashmiri peoples, any warfare analyst guys will understand good travel network is required for battle field, from so called loc or siachen otherwise shortage of stock may left 700000 trrps in misry as they do suicide dew to stress

That the problem,you call what we have Indian occupied kashmir and we call your part Pakistan occupied kashmir.
what would we be worried about muslims rule over India for 1000 ,even my grand fathers dint bother ,proof is me standing as a non muslim even today and people who are worried are not.

Kashmir Is Killing India’s Military and Democracy

It will continue to bleed India.

Pankaj Mishra

In July 1995, an Islamic fundamentalist group called Al Faran kidnapped six foreign tourists, including two Americans, in Kashmir. For a few weeks, the world’s attention was fixed on the Himalayan valley as the allegedly Pakistan-backed militants negotiated with Indian security officials and foreign diplomats.

Eventually, one of the Americans escaped. Another hostage, a Norwegian, was beheaded. The other four were never found.

The Meadow: Kashmir 1995 -- Where the Terror Began,” a staggeringly well-researched new book by two respected journalists, Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clark, concludes that the hostages were killed by local mercenaries funded and controlled by Indian army and intelligence.

The authors argue that the drawn-out negotiation, during which Indian intelligence allegedly knew the hostages’ whereabouts, was a charade, part of India’s larger effort to portray Pakistan as a sponsor of Islamist terror, thereby delegitimizing the Kashmiri struggle for freedom.

Certainly, India today no longer needs to highlight the role of the Pakistani army and intelligence in sponsoring extremist groups. It has appalling facts of its counter-insurgency operations in Kashmir -- tens of thousands killed, and innumerable many tortured, mutilated and orphaned. The tallying in 2009 of 2,700 unmarked graves containing the remains of people (often buried in groups) killed by security forces barely provoked any comment in the international media, let alone expressions of concern by Western leaders.

KILLERS IN KHAKI

But India’s diplomatic and public relations success has been achieved at considerable costs: the rise of militaristic nationalism, the assault on civil liberties, and a dangerously enhanced role in politics for men in uniform.

Most of the million-plus men and women in the Indian military still manifest what Shashi Tharoor once described as “increasingly rare” qualities in India: “high standards of performance, honesty, hard work, self-sacrifice, incorruptibility, respect for tradition, discipline, team spirit.” As a child, I had myself wanted, like many Indians of my generation and class, to acquire the virtuous glow of an army officer’s uniform, and even attended a military school.

It was therefore shocking and demoralizing to encounter, during a visit to Kashmir in 2000, accounts of extrajudicial killings and torture and rape by Indian soldiers -- stories that, though commonplace in Kashmir, were largely kept hidden from the Indian public by a patriotic media.

But to those who reported from Kashmir in the past decade and a half -- as opposed to the many more who were content to disseminate briefings from Indian army and intelligence officials -- “The Meadow” presents a disturbingly familiar picture.

I was there when, during Bill Clinton’s visit to South Asia in March 2000, Indian army officers allegedly kidnapped and killed five Kashmiri villagers and presented their mutilated corpses to the international news media as the Pakistani killers of the 35 Sikhs who had been murdered by unidentified gunmen just hours before Clinton’s scheduled arrival in India. It has taken 12 years for India’s legal system even to acknowledge this well-documented atrocity: Last week, the Supreme Court gingerly asked the army how it wishes to prosecute the officers suspected of the coldblooded murder.

Since 2000, the number of armed militants has steadily decreased in Kashmir. But the human rights situation has not improved. Under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in effect in Kashmir and the northeastern states (where the Indian army was first deployed in counter-insurgency), soldiers can kill on the basis of mere suspicion while continuing to enjoy near-total legal immunity.

REGIME OF IMPUNITY

The result is a regime of impunity. A coalition of Indian human rights groups in a report to the United Nations this year documented 789 extrajudicial killings in the northeastern state of Manipur alone between 2007 and 2010.

In recent years, the army has also been dragged into Operation Green Hunt, the Indian state’s extraordinarily big, armed offensive against Maoist insurgents in central India. Predictably, the use of scorched-earth tactics once deployed in border areas has undermined the general rule of law in the states of Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and West Bengal.

The widened powers of the military against the new electronic media’s background chorus of hypernationalism have given army officers a public role they never had. Breaking with old protocols, the previous army chief openly speculated about a “limited” war under a “nuclear overhang” with Pakistan.

It is also not at all clear if there is any proper governmental oversight of the Indian intelligence agencies, which, mimicking the doomed Pakistani quest for “strategic depth,” have been trying out potentially useful proxies in Pakistan’s Balochistan province as well as Afghanistan. These adventurist spies and the perennially belligerent men in uniform now seem to constitute as formidable a lobby against peace between India and Pakistan as the Islamic zealots on the other side of the border.

Backed by Hindu nationalist leaders, they even dare to overrule elected politicians such as Omar Abdullah, Kashmir’s chief minister, who has been pleading in vain for a withdrawal of the much-despised special powers act.

Their jingoism, echoed by hawkish think tanks and websites (India’s own military-intellectual complex), goes necessarily together with dubious arms purchases. India is now the world’s biggest arms market; a series of scandals have not stopped spending sprees that, as the recent outbursts of the outgoing army chief reveal, do little to prepare India for any conceivable war.

INDIA NO BANANA REPUBLIC

Things are about to get worse. The next Indian army chief comes into office later this month, trailed by allegations of his involvement in an extrajudicial killing in Kashmir. He was also in charge of Indian peacekeeping soldiers accused in 2008 of sexual misconduct in the Congo.

Unlike its Pakistani rival, the Indian army remains firmly under civilian control. A sensationalist recent story in a major Indian newspaper claimed that unauthorized movements of soldiers near New Delhi earlier this year had “spooked” the government. But it is hard to imagine the foolhardy army officers who would attempt a coup in India. Although beset by internal wars and draconian laws and chaotic governance, India is very far from degenerating into, as an exasperated Ratan Tata feared last year, a “banana republic.”

Yet there are plenty of reasons for alarm and dismay over a process that, starting in obscure battles in the northeastern states in the 1960s, was accelerated during the two previous decades in the valley of Kashmir. Levy and Scott-Clark’s book mainly excavates one of the many murky incidents of the 1990s. But its revised draft of history also sheds light on the present -- how a democratic state’s addiction to colonial-style dirty wars has damaged not so much the Kashmiri cause of freedom as India’s frail democracy and one of its last uncompromised institutions.

(Pankaj Mishra, whose new book, “From the Ruins of Empire: The Revolt Against the West and the Remaking of Asia,” will be published in August, is a Bloomberg View columnist, based in London and Mashobra, India. The opinions expressed are his own.)

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2012-05-06/kashmir-is-killing-india-s-military-and-democracy
Indians are there to kill innocent Kashmiri Muslim brothers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom