What's new

Interfaith marriages

Muslims male or female are forbidden to marry people from other faiths except Judaism,Christianity and Zoroastrianism because they are monotheists.I think conversions solely for marriage should be banned specifically.

Muslims male or female are forbidden to marry people from other faiths except Judaism,Christianity and Zoroastrianism because they are monotheists.I think conversions solely for marriage should be banned specifically.
I don't think its possible to marry anyone who is not a Muslim.

The provision given in Islam was to save the conquered non-Muslim women from being taken in as Concubines. Thus the men who took them as wives were obligated towards such women and their rights as Muslim marriages are consensual or considered invalid.

This isn't the norm.

Even though I find no direct restrictions on marrying a non-Muslim woman (and no restriction on a Muslim woman marrying the non-Muslim man), such a thing is harmful to the continuity of Islam which is obligatory upon every Muslim. It is not about granting a choice to your children to choose from either. Religious indoctrination is a right granted to every parent even in western societies. Religious indoctrination is also obligatory upon every Muslim parent.

Islam also says you can Marry 4 times but says you should marry only once as it's difficult to do justice to all four.

The Four wives permit is the exception to the norm too.

All in all, good sense should prevail. The non-Muslims should be made fully aware of the situation as it is since there would be no compromise on the Muslims side to the core beliefs. And making her compromise so much would just be very frustrating and also quite unfair.

Hence I strongly believe that no one can tread into this territory lightly and remain faithful to their religion as well.

I think this verse finalizes what I've been trying to say. Religiously its not permissible by anyone to marry a non-Muslim.

YUSUFALI: Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.

thanks a lot;that verse was important that was especially the last line.

Its a difficult topic i think not to Envolve in any faith being a muslim i have to belive that every thing is define 1400 years back by Hazrat Mohammad Mustafa (PBUH) .

Its a difficult topic i think not to Envolve in any faith being a muslim i have to belive that every thing is define 1400 years back by Hazrat Mohammad Mustafa (PBUH) .

quite an interesting perspective -"every thing is defined 1400 years ago."

So what are the consequences of such a marriage in an purely islamic society?
the marriage doesn't occur;it's nulled and the couple maybe punished for fornication since the marriage is not recognized.for the males too I guess.

do you think Muslim males lack a lot of qualities which is why males from other religion are being chosen day by day by Muslim women?

the marriage doesn't occur;it's nulled and the couple maybe punished for fornication since the marriage is not recognized.for the males too I guess.
so what is the punishment for fornication, and if they have a child what will be the child's status be?

do you think Muslim males lack a lot of qualities which is why males from other religion are being chosen day by day by Muslim women?
Who talked about muslim males lacking or anything like that, I asked if a muslim man/woman likes a non-muslim and both want to marry, what will be the consequences. and where did I talk about a particular sex? Get over your complexity dude.

You need to be clear about the consequences in terms of two perspectives.

1. Religious or Islamic Point of view.
2. Soical point of view or cultural point of view.

1. Now in a purely islamic society as the marriage to a nonbeliever is already not recomended so in that case if someone does so there is NO order for Hard Punishment for such an individual in Quran.

But there are orders that he/she should leave the non-believer partner or if he/she converts to Islam (that too is condtionalized by Islam if he or she does so according to own will and even than not just for marrying but after understanding Islam if they believe in it by heart) than its ok.

But IF someone even dosnt convert and the Muslim partner still wants to be with her or him than it means ( the faith of that Muslim in itself is not strong in that case there is not much which Islam can use to punish or pressurize him or her.)

2.Now according to Soical point of view or cultural point of view well the sentiments rather than understanding run high in that case and social bycott and isolation are the biggest consequences of such marriage not only in Islamic socity but all the societies.

And bhangra you can do understand this kinda consequences is are also very high in Hindu society too.
Even despite 21st century there are these consequences in India regarding evern Inter-cast marriages in India where there is Cast difference though the religion is one that hinduism but still a low cast hindu's marriage to a high cast hindu creats immense problems.

So the social consequencies are in every socity.

It won't be legally binding in Shariah system. They should seek marriage as non-Muslims.

In a country like Pakistan it may be allowed but of course religiously speaking they have done that which was forbidden to them. I would say they would be looked upon as sinners within the society. I won't say that the man or the woman would lose their status as Muslims as Muslims drink, smoke and even eat pork and are yet considered Muslims.

You need to be clear about the consequences in terms of two perspectives.

1. Religious or Islamic Point of view.
2. Soical point of view or cultural point of view.

1. Now in a purely islamic society as the marriage to a nonbeliever is already not recomended so in that case if someone does so there is NO order for Hard Punishment for such an individual in Quran.

But there are orders that he/she should leave the non-believer partner or if he/she converts to Islam (that too is condtionalized by Islam if he or she does so according to own will and even than not just for marrying but after understanding Islam if they believe in it by heart) than its ok.

But IF someone even dosnt convert and the Muslim partner still wants to be with her or him than it means ( the faith of that Muslim in itself is not strong in that case there is not much which Islam can use to punish or pressurize him or her.)

The last para is of the obvious interest. So marrying another religions person is for those who do not have faith in islam. So does the muslim person continues his/her normal life and the non-muslim partner continues her/his non-muslim character, without any legal problem. But my important question is, is the marriage sanctioned and what is the status/options of religion for the child

2.Now according to Soical point of view or cultural point of view well the sentiments rather than understanding run high in that case and social bycott and isolation are the biggest consequences of such marriage not only in Islamic socity but all the societies.

And bhangra you can do understand this kinda consequences is are also very high in Hindu society too.
Even despite 21st century there are these consequences in India regarding evern Inter-cast marriages in India where there is Cast difference though the religion is one that hinduism but still a low cast hindu's marriage to a high cast hindu creats immense problems.

So the social consequencies are in every socity.

yes, there are social consequences everywhere, which was not I was referring to. I was more interested in the legal standings and the consequences/punishments there of, i.e. essentially the first part. I also understand that most of you are not ulemas and as such I need to have an amount of caution.

It won't be legally binding in Shariah system. They should seek marriage as non-Muslims.
So basically one cannot marry a non-muslim by being a muslim at the same time. But arent there some sort of punishments in shariah for a person who has shifted from being a muslim to a non-muslim.
In a country like Pakistan it may be allowed but of course religiously speaking they have done that which was forbidden to them. I would say they would be looked upon as sinners within the society. I won't say that the man or the woman would lose their status as Muslims as Muslims drink, smoke and even eat pork and are yet considered Muslims.
In Pakistan, frankly there is such a legal conundrum that I do not know, you have shariah courts as well as normal courts, I wouldnt bring Pakistan in this case, it would just create more confusion.

The last para is of the obvious interest. So marrying another religions person is for those who do not have faith in islam..
If one does not have faith in Islam than it dosnt matter person of which religin he or she marries as the foundation of being Muslim is based on faith in Islam and its rules and regulation as prescribed in Quran. So if they do not have any faith and do not follow the teachings than mere reciting Kalima (the shahdat) is not enough.
So in this case who cares if such a "Munafiq" even marries the non-bliever.

So does the muslim person continues his/her normal life and the non-muslim partner continues her/his non-muslim character, without any legal problem..
i had cleared it already that if a person believes in Islam fully than He/She wont act against its core teachings and rules put in the Holy Quran so in case if he acts otherwise well he is already having no faith but ok for a minute lets put this notion aside.

Than Yes according to Islam he/she can lead a normal life the punishment and status of their deed would be decided by Allah.

But socialy they cant live normaly in a Muslim country as again they would face many social boycott and problems from relatives and others same as Hindus do face.

But my important question is, is the marriage sanctioned and what is the status/options of religion for the child..
:) my dear now you come to the point if people open their hearts and minds towards Islam they will understand that is the main point why Islam stresses upon avoiding Interfaith marriges.
The childern born-out of such marriges are the worst victims and as in every era childern, the young generation leads the nations hence Islam stresses on their best grooming where they have clear Faith without doubts.

Islam already stresses for avoiding interfaith marriges and in case of the childern and it does stresses for adopting Islam but there are no such orders where the couple is forced to force the kids to adopt.
But i believe going against teachings of Islam in itself negate any such possibility for the kids too if they wants to adopt Islam there is no bar on them.

As far Legal status well that depends on the laws of the countries they live and belongs to.
Now its up to their parents to fill the question about religion of their kids

yes, there are social consequences everywhere, which was not I was referring to. I was more interested in the legal standings and the consequences/punishments there of, i.e. essentially the first part. I also understand that most of you are not ulemas and as such I need to have an amount of caution.
i have already cleared there are no Punhishments in Islam for such a marriage however there are consequences based on social norms which are in every society.

Yes we are not much aware of religiouse point of you thats why atleast i avoid talking on threads relating to theology but where i have some knowledg try to give some in put.

NOTE: I will reply to your question to Asim.
i will reply your question in light of Quran.
But tommorrow as now i had to leave for home and im having very high fever.
But there is no Punishment for whoever converts from Islam to any other religion.

So basically one cannot marry a non-muslim by being a muslim at the same time. But arent there some sort of punishments in shariah for a person who has shifted from being a muslim to a non-muslim.
I was just giving illegal advice(more like a possibility) on fooling the law :P (of course I discourage it). Lawfully you would be married but in the eyes of God you are not. Hence just sinning. You are not disbanded from Islam in the eyes of God, IMO, for fornicating. You might however goto hell.

It all depends upon where your priorities lie and what your beliefs are.

In Pakistan, frankly there is such a legal conundrum that I do not know, you have shariah courts as well as normal courts, I wouldnt bring Pakistan in this case, it would just create more confusion.
True. It is the same with every other Muslim nation. They all have Shariah courts. But they all have lesser jurisdictions.

Back
Top Bottom