What's new

Iraq to buy 12 JF-17 Thunder jets from Pakistan

Iraq to buy 12 JF-17 Thunder jets from Pakistan

View attachment 780039

Mateen Haider
September 25, 2021

ISLAMABAD - In a landmark development Pakistan got another international defence order from Iraq for the sale of 12 fighter jets JF-17 Thunder Block III, manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra.

Top official sources told The Nation that several rounds of negotiations between Pakistan and Iraq on fighter jets continued this year at the highest level but finally completed with the visiting Iraqi defence delegation led by Deputy Commander Iraqi Air Force Major General (Pilot) Muhammad Majeed Mahdi Mahmood and top Pakistani officials. Gen Mehdi is on an official visit to Pakistan.

According to the sources, the defence deal was approved by both the Iraqi and Pakistani governments and a formal agreement is expected to be signed in Islamabad next month. The Iraqi government has approved the amount of 664 million USD for the purchase of 12 fighter aircraft from Pakistan.

Iraqi Defence Minister Lieutenant General Juma Inad Saadoun earlier visited Pakistan in May during which he held meetings with Pakistani leaders and officials and discussed Iraq’s interest to buy JF-17 Thunder fighter jets from Pakistan.

Pakistan has earlier organised a major defence exhibition in Baghdad in April 2021 in which JF-17 Thunder thrilled the Iraqi airspace with its extraordinary performance and won the hearts of the government and people of Iraq.

Chairman JCSC Gen Nadeem Raza had also visited Iraq in March 2021 and held meetings with top Iraqi defence officials and discussed defence cooperation between the two countries.

The sources told The Nation the production of JF-17 Thunder Block 3 is in production process at PAC Kamra.

Iraq is the third country which would be purchasing these fighter jets from Pakistan. Earlier Argentina has agreed to buy 12 fighter jets from pakistan. Nigeria had also purchased three fighter jets from Pakistan Airforce last year and these fighter jets were handed over to Nigerian Air Force this year.

Jef 1.jpg

Stopped watching when IK claimed 'When we had an agreement with Russia to buy oil...
It's a plain lie. There is no evidence of any agreement in that regard. I think IK is lying. You call it political statement but in fact it's a lie. Why does he make the agreement public. Leave it, public even a memorandum of understanding with Russians during his visit to Russia.
So your opinion carries more weight than ambassador of Russia who literally said that talks were going on

Hi,

SAAB Gripen has no new orders since 2014.

Sadly the finest aircraft of the 4.5 gen category has no more new orders---. Saab is a victim of its grandiosement and selective sales policy.

One of the most perfect fighting machine---and it cannot sell its to its most needy neighbors---.

If Saab had sold Gripen to Paf---things would be totally different for now---oh well.

Last edited:
Hi,

SAB Gripen has no new orders since 2014.

Sadly the finest aircraft of the 4.5 gen category has no more new orders---. Saab is a victim of its grandiosement and selective sales policy.

One of the most perfect fighting machine---and it cannot sell its to its most needy neighbors---.

If Saab had sold Gripen to Paf---things would be totally different for now---oh well.

If PAF has Grippen we would have had them grounded due to US parts. Or US wouldn't allow the sale just like t129

If PAF has Grippen we would have had them grounded due to US parts. Or US wouldn't allow the sale just like t129
Hi,

The selling party that makes the contract---guarantees the part.

In case of T129---pakistan knowingly went into a contract that it will get the choppers without clearing the engines.

Hi,

The selling party that makes the contract---guarantees the part.

In case of T129---pakistan knowingly went into a contract that it will get the choppers without clearing the engines.
I understand your point. I think USA would override any contact they sign with Pakistan. That's my personal opinion.
Grippen is a fine fighter but had we access to that then I believe jf17 would have died

Last edited:
I understand your point. I think USA would override any contact they sign with Pakistan. That's my personal opinion.
Grippen is a fine fighter but had we access to that then I believe jf17 would have died
Hi,

Saab should have at least offered it to Paf---just for the sake of it. At that time---the Paf had already decided that they would be manufacturing their own aircraft---.

Saab could have rode the wave but got caught up in indian propaganda.

The problem with the americans is---that they have proven it again and again that they cannot be trusted---neither by Pakistan---nor by the Phillipines nor any other country.

When any congressman / senator can get up and force a law that breaks a contract signed by their own govt---there is a problem deep down with the system.

Hi,

Saab could've stepped in as early as 1986 as, at that time, the PAF was working on the Sabre II with the U.S. and China. The PAF had hoped for a lightweight multi-role fighter to complement the F-16s. However, the Sabre II option was getting too expensive (relative to output). The Gripen could've been a different story had the Swedes made the PAF aware of it earlier on.

I think Saab had also underestimated the value of being ITAR-free. They could've opened up more markets for themselves if they had designed a sub-variant of the Gripen E/F with the EJ200, for example. Or (as Turkey is now doing) taken the hit and pursued their own turbofan program.

Hi,

More than anything else, Gripen's downfall was all it's american components, primarily the engine. A lot of potential buyers stayed away for that very reason.

Saab could've stepped in as early as 1986 as, at that time, the PAF was working on the Sabre II with the U.S. and China. The PAF had hoped for a lightweight multi-role fighter to complement the F-16s. However, the Sabre II option was getting too expensive (relative to output). The Gripen could've been a different story had the Swedes made the PAF aware of it earlier on.

I think Saab had also underestimated the value of being ITAR-free. They could've opened up more markets for themselves if they had designed a sub-variant of the Gripen E/F with the EJ200, for example. Or (as Turkey is now doing) taken the hit and pursued their own turbofan program.
With an American engine, I highly doubt it...

Hi,

Arrogance got the best of SAAB. They acted too good too good for themselves---.

Making weapons of death and destruction and then putting up conditions for sale---oh well.

Amazing isn't it---the most cost effective and almost the best aircraft in its category---and no buyers for it---.

Hi,

Arrogance got the best of SAAB. They acted too good too good for themselves---.

Making weapons of death and destruction and then putting up conditions for sale---oh well.

Amazing isn't it---the most cost effective and almost the best aircraft in its category---and no buyers for it---.
They just got conned by Indians is all. However, even historically speaking Sweden had very limited exports of its prior fighters as well, Viggen and Draken so with Grippen it is not completely a surprise. But as pointed out earlier, buying then would have dealt a killing blow to the JF-17 program so in retrospect a good thing we didnt end up with any.

Back
Top Bottom