What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

so the question is what will happen for jf-17blk2 - is production still in flight or stopped?

If production is to commence in late 2019, then prototype & first flight would have to be in early-mid 2019 at the very latest, which is in accordance with what @Dazzler has stated in recent weeks.

This will provide the PAF with its first AESA-equipped fighter platform and also a competitor to the Gripen-E in the export market if prices can be kept in check. Impressive milestones by any standards.

Block-2 upgraded with AESA is also low cost option and good competitor with Gripen.

Gripen was marketed to Brazil and Switzerland way before the first flight.
JF-17 may be a solution for Pakistan, but in many countries it will fail,
simply because it is incompatible with either this or that.

Nope, JFT western system based option is available if customer wants it, even western engine is available.

so the question is what will happen for jf-17blk2 - is production still in flight or stopped?
some JF-17 blk-II are still in production, during a documentary at local news channel few months back 7 JF-17 blk-II were counted at different stage of production

some JF-17 blk-II are still in production, during a documentary at local news channel few months back 7 JF-17 blk-II were counted at different stage of production
Yes, I think they may keep the production line going still as there are a lot of replacements still to be done even though with blk 2.

In other words PAF will have a full squadron of 18 JFT BLK IIIs by 2021.
We will be producing some extra BLK IIs and also simultaneously our existing fleet will be upgraded with AESA and other goodies + the production line will be used to complete orders by other air forces . Isliae ghabraney ke zaroorat nahi hai

2021 :
18 JF-17 BLK III
116 BLK II (AESA and other upgrades)
78-100 F-16s ( we might purchase some second hand falcons)
etc

Last edited:
The line is open working on the last few airframes for that run and also for components going on the Myanmar order.
There is a LOT of commonality among the blocks which in a way blurs the lines.

As witnessed during Zhuhai Airshow, seems like we do have option of LKF601E (AESA) Radar for existing JF-17 Block II fleet which can cover the gap of possible Rafale threat till 2021. India will start receiving deliveries expected by 2019 & onward.

JF-17 Block-III prototype could be expected by the end of 2019 means, lot of things will be finalized till then especially AESA Radar. 2021 seems serial production after all the testing etc.
operational by 2021 mean serial production will be 2020 else how will it be operational in 2021. this is pakistani operational not indian?

operational by 2021 mean serial production will be 2020 else how will it be operational in 2021. this is pakistani operational not indian?

I kept the period in larger aspect. 2021 is set for operational that means Block III flying into squadron & we are into serial production as well. May be it is about the period between 2020 start to 2021 end.

I kept the period in larger aspect. 2021 is set for operational that means Block III flying into squadron & we are into serial production as well. May be it is about the period between 2020 start to 2021 end.
correct.... i see that way as well. it will take a while to get it readied overall. so late 2019 it should be in the air. plus all the integration testing etc

makes sense

Block-2 upgraded with AESA is also low cost option and good competitor with Gripen.

Nope, JFT western system based option is available if customer wants it, even western engine is available.

I doubt Pakistan has access to all documents needed to make stuff NATO compliant.
Even if it had, there is no NATO compliant JF-17 flying.
To prove that it is compliant, You need several years of testing.
Noone is going to trust PAC, until it has done its homework...

That touched a raw nerve....
This is internet, take a chill pill

I invite You to show one possible customer interested in Gripen,
which also has announced interest in the JF-17.

Some fanboys are real top level retards. On one hand they want all the new fancy stuff on the other they want it to be ready in a week. Even a new model of car with minor changes takes more than a year to materialize. A multi-million dollar plane with brand new equipment takes much longer. Patience always gets rewarded.

I doubt Pakistan has access to all documents needed to make stuff NATO compliant.
Even if it had, there is no NATO compliant JF-17 flying.
To prove that it is compliant, You need several years of testing.
Noone is going to trust PAC, until it has done its homework...

Kindly don't twist things here, no one said that NATO compliant JFT is flying, what is said that option is available if buyer want it, also PAF JFT have NATO compliant systems and weapons carrying capacity.

If it is going to be "Operational" in (squadron service) by 2021 ... This is not slow by any standards. New Radar, EW, Avionics needs time for integration and testing is going to take at least 12-18 months minimum. This also indicates that PAF don't want to rush into things as threads are evolving on eastern front.

But he also said that radar selection will be made in one year time

Back
Top Bottom