What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Thank you mk52. so, no fuel increase changes in the Blk3.
According to some Egyptian source, the jf 17 blk 3 will have CFTs. I don't know how true that is.

Also also there is a post on pdf which is translated.

According to some Egyptian source, the jf 17 blk 3 will have CFTs. I don't know how true that is.

Also also there is a post on pdf which is translated.

JFT wing structure is not designed that it can stand CFTs

Thank you mk52. so, no fuel increase changes in the Blk3.
Well, as the fighters that increase fuel as they evolve either get bigger (larger wings or extended fuselage) for more internal fuel, or rework the ground clearance and wing strength for bigger external tanks. None of this has happened in block 3. However, cant say if moving to full FBW has freed up room to make internal fuel tanks marginally bigger.

Its been debated multiple times here, CFTs while mountable on jf-17 are not practical and we wont be seeing them.

wondering why there's no discussion about this latest blk3 #3001 pic carrying PL10s & with an odd looking pilot helmet that vaguely resembles the Chinese HMDS & a boat load of extra sensors...
View attachment 738837
has this pic been proven to be photo shopped? any info?

Looks fine to me especially around the missiles which I believe are the ones likely to be doubted

ff9e34f0ec0fc2099ce134aa1f345c2694f1176d.164344-ela.png

Well, as the fighters that increase fuel as they evolve either get bigger (larger wings or extended fuselage) for more internal fuel, or rework the ground clearance and wing strength for bigger external tanks. None of this has happened in block 3.

JF-17B jets can store fuel in vertical stabilizers. People are hoping that block 3 jets may be able to do the same.

Has anyone read Afm month of May 2021 article on jf-17 ?

It’s usually available late in the area

Chao

Frankly, no improvement in fuel capacity would be really disappointing in Block III. Also, I recall clearly CFTs being discussed as very much a possibility. What good are strengthened wings & higher payload if there are no CFTs planned? Loiter time is important in a defensive posture and it is entirely dependent upon fuel capacity. Unlike Block I & II configuration Block III is supposed to carry more missiles (4 BVRs + 2 WVRs as opposed to 2 BVRs + 2 WVRs) and hence not just a shoot-and-scoot platform. I do expect at least a marginal improvement in internal fuel capacity & possibility of CFTs.

Frankly, no improvement in fuel capacity would be really disappointing in Block III. Also, I recall clearly CFTs being discussed as very much a possibility. What good are strengthened wings & higher payload if there are no CFTs planned? Loiter time is important in a defensive posture and it is entirely dependent upon fuel capacity. Unlike Block I & II configuration Block III is supposed to carry more missiles (4 BVRs + 2 WVRs as opposed to 2 BVRs + 2 WVRs) and hence not just a shoot-and-scoot platform. I do expect at least a marginal improvement in internal fuel capacity & possibility of CFTs.
Air to air refuelling

Air to air refuelling
Constrained by number of re-fuelers & operational costs. It would be far better to have an improved fuel capacity. Airborne refueling would certainly be needed in many scenarios, especially over sea, but I imagine that to be specific to well-planned missions. What about CAPs, interceptions? So improving loiter time without having to resort to air-air refueling is important.

Back
Top Bottom