What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I suggest an addition to your post.Yes whosoever sees whom first may matter as you are already homing in on the target.However 3 things need to be taken into account.In the indo Pak theatre there will be AWACs and thereforethe range of the planes individual radar will matter less. Also where it comes to a One on one, as long as you have a decent range on your radar, you will always have the time to shoot more or less simultaneously. Thirdly the last factor in the equation will be the killing range of the BVR AAM. If this is longer , you may shoot before the other aircraft.
My 2 paisas worth.
Araz

agreed! doesn't this make such an interesting scenario? I do believe the range of the BVR also depends on altitude of the plane, higher the altitude, longer the range..now factor in AWACS, Aircraft with different capabilities, at different altitudes...it will be an organized chaos on who will hit the fire button first.. Interesting, however will be the tactics employed and the number of planes that may carry out the aggressive sortie

fatman
This would be purely a business decision. Where big money is involved, you know better than me that all scruples get left behind in the office drawers:lol::D. Every big power has done it and as new providers we have to bear the brunt of this before we establish our selves. The point in our favour is that we are partnering China which is a big power house in its own rights. However when we move out of the current chinese sphere of influence, we will invariably face problems. With Thunder the initial vibes are very encouraging and we need to see how things evolve. One good thing in our favour is that currently , we can ensure uninterrupted supply without any sanctions, which will stand us in good stead with certain parties. The fact that even Turlkey appears to be interested speaks a lot for thunder's capabilities.
Araz
JFT is a joint development and i see no reason to read it as Chinese influence...but no doubt it matters to be partner with China in a sense that enemy states cannot use our politicians to sabotage this project.. single handedly.
Neither, i see any reason or situation developing to part ways with China...... so no point in discussing a out of box senario.
I do see lot of attempts to provoke Pak-China or ISlam-China disagreements..... by various means.... which had failed miserably so far..

At the same time, I must mention PAF is quite respectable in most of Arab states and their trust in JFT.. speaks volumes of it....

Gambit

How does a Active Radar guided missile prioritizes its target in terminal phase . In layman terms how it sees and decides - "bang this is my target" .

When it's onboard radar goes active , there will be more than 10 RF emitter in a given area .
Two to three targets would be giving same radar return in dB .
A relatively low RCS design(Say Jet A) at 10Km range would be reflecting same energy as a slightly large figure (Say Jet B) at 20 Km distance + plus it might be possible that Jet A has just entered Theater field when missile is switching to Active terminal mode

Is it only based on
TWS/AACQ/STT/RWS information ; meaning Track while scan data which firing platform transmitted to missile - aka aspect angle, heading, airspeed and closure .

Or it has something to do with Pulse train / PRF sequence of reflecting surface which may be unique to hostile radar/jet .

In lay man's term; ever heard of locking of target?

Those who have concerns regarding datalink, JFT will be a part of complete network centric warfare scenario and AWC has designed a sophisticated program whose earlier version was sold to Bangladesh in 2004-05. Currently, what we have is a vast level of integration between various weapon systems (US, Chinese, western, Pakistani) successfully. Pakistan is well into this field contrary to what most of us know. Also, Erieye came with a compatible datalink capability to what is developed at AWC which is under upgradation process. This allows all systems to become a unit of AWC net centric environment and soon ZDK-03 will also be a part of it. Only thing that is done after the induction of new system is tweaking. The evidence of this indigenous net-centric environment was witnessed as early as this year during Azm-e-Nau exercise.

That is a very valid point Taimi !

PAF variant has quite a few tricks up its sleeves and time will tell what they are. As for exports, the policy is not to make it a so called "monkey version" but it will still be a fully capable Multirole Fighter with a capable radar, avionics, datalink, fbw, and complete electronic warfare and weapons package. WMD-7 is a surprise package to most as this is a third gen of LDP, IR sensor and is as capable as any western LDP out there. Just a matter of what systems a customer wants in their JFTs/ FC-1s. One correction though, MAWS is operational on JFT since 2007 and what we see in these pics is just the protective lid to cover sensitive sensor heads.

i ve seen something special regarding FBW of Jf-17 related to Stabilators...its quite interesting.will tell u guys soon

In lay man's term; ever heard of locking of target?

A little more detail would be great help -

You are talking of Locking by Jet's sensor , while I am asking how Missile's own radar gets lock on target .

Fighter radar can guide upto Mid-Phase ,terminal phase lock has to be achieved by Missile's seeker only

My specific query is How does Missile's seeker prioritize one target out of many - is it cued by TWS data , or it matches PRF sequence / pulse wave of target .

And how does
" Tracking by Jet shifts to Tracking by missile "

Last edited:
A little more detail would be great help -

You are talking of Locking by Jet's sensor , while I am asking how Missile's own radar gets lock on target .

Fighter radar can guide upto Mid-Phase ,terminal phase lock has to be achieved by Missile's seeker only

My specific query is How does Missile's seeker prioritize one target out of many - is it cued by TWS data , or it matches PRF sequence / pulse wave of target .

And how does
" Tracking by Jet shifts to Tracking by missile "

There is a simple answer:-

The initial coordinates of the target are fed by the plane's radar (actually the computer, as radar is hooked to computer) to the missile's computer. Initial means, the coordinates when the missile is being launched. From there the missile then uses its own sensors to chase the target. If it is IR guided it locks on the hot parts which initially were locked on by the plane's IRST or IR targeter. If it is Radar guided then it's radar turns on and locates the target with help from the plane's radar.

ever wondered why a AIM 120 MRAAM cost $ 350,000+??

If it is Radar guided then it's radar turns on and locates the target with help from the plane's radar.

Hi

Now how does it happen in terminal phase where Missile dosent need data from Jet , instead is able to track the target by its own radar .

How does Missile's own seeker prioritize a single target out of many ,
You don't have command guidance or Weapon controller for terminal phase to keep the lock or achieve lock on desired target only .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom