What's new

Long march Updates: Ends. Successful before sit-in

The Long march movement is planning to host a sit-in at the Constitution Avenue

• I support it!

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • I don't support it!

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
What wonders me how crooked leaders manage to garner support happens everywhere, They have no interest in future of the country. Their idiotic actions and counter actions has huge ramifications to its economy image and future investments.

Below is report in TOI about cost of current political turmoil will these political rivals be held responsible for the same ?

Pak economy losing three billion rupees daily due to political bedlam

KARACHI: The current political turmoil in Pakistan has not only raised questions about the stability of the democratic regime in the country, but
it also has severely dented its economic growth.

According to an estimate, Pakistan is losing about three billion rupees daily due to the political chaos, as the lawyers' protest march has paralysed routine business and foreign trade in most parts of the country.

If the long march and ongoing political commotion continues even after March 16, it is anticipated that the Federal Board of Revenue would lose more than 25 billion rupees worth tax revenue in the month of March, and the average target of raising 148 billion rupees as revenue in this month would become impossible to achieve.

"The perpetual disturbed domestic political conditions would definitely affect the government efforts to bring improvement in the macroeconomic indicators," The Nation quoted head of the Research wing at the Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce, Dr. Ayub Mehar, as saying.

Due to the blockade of the highways and seizure of containers by the police to foil the long march ahead of the lawyers' sit-in, the goods and consignments from other parts of the country are not reaching Karachi' s port , Pakistan's financial hub.

Similarly, containers from different countries are not being transported to other cities, thus increasing the cost of transportation and freight charges, storage charges and mark-up rates on Letter of Credits (LC's).

Pak economy losing three billion rupees daily due to political bedlam-International Business-Business-The Times of India
Thats the worst thing. They are using containers filled with rice and daal and other goods to block the roads. Basically they've stopped the trucks on the road and placed them there as blockades!

All the companies are badly hit! They can't get their goods across in time. Zardari for his personal gain has locked up our economy! Why is the PPP sleeping? PPP was an ideological party, the People's Party. PPP is ensuring it never gets reelected again.

I think Nawaz will play ball more than he did when he came to power in 1997. But he would undoubtedly go after Musharraf during his tenure and that will lead to a clash with the Army.

But I have big hopes from Imran Khan. He will not overstep his bounds with the judiciary and will be a just leader.

Long march participants are removing containers blocking the Ravi road with the help of a Crane to clear route for march to continue to Islamabad.
Army is not intervening yet as far as i know and that is good.

15th March: Islamabad:

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairman, Mr. Imran Khan has said the revolution has started in Pakistan. While talking to Geo and AAJ News, Mr. Khan said that time has come that the nation will bring the true and independent Cheif Justice of Pakistan, Mr. Iftikhar Ahmad Chaudhry back.

Imran Khan said that now no power can stop us. He said he is in consultation with Nawaz Sharif and Qazi Sahib. Imran said that he along with Qazi Hussain and Shahbaz Sharif will lead the rally from Kacheri Chowk Rawalpindi at 10:00 am. He said there will be a flood of people in Islamabad and Pindi.

Imran Khan has said now the people of Pakistan have come out and the struggle for justice will bear its fruits very soon. Imran Khan said the PPP govt has broken all the records of lies and they cannot cheat the people of Pakistan anymore. He said PM Gillani promised to restore the judges last year when he came for the inaguration of Namal College. He said Gillan should take action and the nation will remember him as Hero of Pakistan. Imran Khan has asked the PPP members and ministers to look into thier conscience and don't follow the NRO cleared leader Zardari blindly who is destyoying Pakistan.

Imran Khan while stressing the importance of independent judiciary asked now that PTI office has been attacked thrice by the government, who will give justice to us. Where should we go to get justice? To the Dogar courts who have taken oath under the military dictator? He said that is why it is imporant to have independent judiciary so that the citizens of Pakistan can raise thier voice against injustices and are not targeted by draconian laws.

Imran Khan has said that PTI is fully prepared and masses will be on the streets tomorrow. Imran Khan has appealed to all PTI members to join him tomorrow to play thier part in restoration of deposed judges.

well, I think it's become clear now that we have a state that can be called a "banana republic". one long march, and people think they've managed to remove a dictator through their demonstration. Now, this misleading thought of "victory for democracy" is the main driving force for yet another long march. These people protest, blocking the streets, disrupting trade, commerce, peace, and peoples' life, causing fitna. They do not have a single thought of concern, as honorable Abdul Sattar Edhi mentioned, for the condition of the people, they claim to be representing. Perhaps it is because of the same reason, Abdul Sattar Edhi still chooses to support Musharraf publicly till this day. The reality is much different, however. Musharraf was removed from power, only through US intervention.

Pressure from Washington, usually expressed so eloquently on phone, has always been the "king-maker" for Pakistani politics and even at times the establishment. Constant pressure coming straight from Washington, drove Musharraf to take off his uniform, perhaps the best known symbol of power in Pakistan, that everyone accepts or has accepted to this day. It was only after this self-curtailment of power, Musharraf became a civilian, and therefore susceptible to the weak democratic process and institutions. He became a ragtag doll for the feudal politicians, who continue to exist due to their unbreakable control over Pakistan's jahel population-most of its population. It is unfortunate and actually surprising that Musharraf would actually place his trust in these same politicians. Nonetheless, history repeats itself, and the cycle of politician-military power exchange continues for Pakistan.

After, a year or two, the same idiotic population, known for showing a total lack of common sense, realizes that Musharraf was a better alternative to these elected politicians, and that living conditions and standards have not improved but have actually worsened over the past year. One wonders why the population can easily be mislead into making the same choices they will come to despair sooner or later. But when the people have a history of making the same choices over and over again, it's not difficult to conclude that they are hopeless, idiotic and irrational, and cannot be dependend on to run the country's state of affairs. Events soon to take place, will remove whatever little confidence people have.

Perhaps, the final blow to the government, at least to some analysts, was the Lahore "Mumbai style" R&AW attack. News has spread that the ISI had sent an intelligence report to the police department in Punjab, in which contents most accurately predict the timing and even the place of attack of R&AW agents, targetting the Sri Lankan cricket team. The most disturbing part of this news piece, however, is the date at which the letter was sent, January 22, 2009. It is astonishing that the government can afford to crack down on politicians and protesters to preserve its own powers, replace experienced and capable police departments with choices of their own, and remain ignorant to reports coming directly from the agency they claim to be "against them" and nontransparent. It is clear the blame falls mostly on the government, even if R&AW may have orchestrated the attack.

Blame should go to those that were invested with responsibility, by the same people who they boastfully claim to be representing. There was a clear indication at the events that were going to take place, gifted directly from the ISI, which did a marvelous job of exposing the enemy's operation months before it even took place. However, the government knowingly turned the other way, and chose to protect its own interests, the interests of its party members and those of Asif Zardari's, instead of doing that which it was supposed to do. Yet, is criticizing the government, as a few journalists who haven't sold out, have been doing for the past year, going to accomplish something?

One can criticize the government as much they want, yet the undeniable fact, or in Pakistan's case "truth", remains that the current government was democratically elected by the people. The elected politicians rest at the helm of responsibility, and they do so alone. If they choose to systematically eliminate legislation of accountability, freeing them to loot from the national exchequer and other assets of national importance, who can oppose them? If the government chooses to avoid a vote of confidence, or a mid-term election, who can question them? If the President representing the same party that created the constitution and has sworn to stand by it and protect its contents, refuses to eliminate or even ignores the extra amendments they claim to be the "thorns of the Zia era", can anyone do something about it? over the past year or two, the problems emanating from irresponsibility will not cease to exist, and still continue to stack upon one another.

These problems are nothing new, history hasn't been too kind to registered Pakistani voters. The same calamities affected the people, in democratic rule much before this. whether it was the Benazir era or the Nawaz era, or the continuous repetion of rule between the two in a cycle during the 90's. Most people still do not realize that Benazir Bhutto was actually elected again in 2007, but due to unfortunate events, was represented by her heir Asif Zardari, probably the most corrupt man in the history of man. Now, Pakistan can see the beginnings of the rule of Nawaz Sharif, who still enjoys-or has continued to enjoy-strong support from Punjab. obviously, this falls in line with dynastic politics of ethnicity, no different from Sindh of course, which has plagued the country since its existence, and thus the cycle has again been repeated for the third or fourth time. Now, the question arises, "can the politicians be blamed?" Are they responsible for the chaos and despair the country goes through, while enjoying strong support from respective Pakistani voters? Personally, I believe these politicians have the undeniable right to rule the country. They have already earned it by taking the country hostage, thanks to the short-sightedness and idiocy of the people who elect them. I strongly support the politicians in government, and therefore, I do not support the long march.

:D

Assad,

To not rise up against Zardari's patently unconstitutional measures is to invite a "Hosni Mubarak-isation' of Pakistan.

Do you really think, given his actions on view now, that we will have anything resembling a 'free and fair' election in four years?

There will be no international condemnation of a Zardari led rigged election, as there was of Musharraf, since Zardari will promise the Yanks all they wish, and the Yanks will appease this corrupt man and his illegal policies and actions much as they have with Mubarak in Egypt.

That is a far worse scenario than the losses and instability we face through a peoples movement for justice and the rule of law, and why I support the "long march", and its expansion if necessary, until Zardari leaves.

Last edited:
Assad,

To not rise up against Zardari's patently unconstitutional measures is to invite a "Hosni Mubarak-isation' of Pakistan.

Do you really think, given his actions on view now, that we will have anything resembling a 'free and fair' election in four years?

There will be no international condemnation of a Zardari led rigged election, as there was of Musharraf, since Zardari will promise the Yanks all they wish, and the Yanks will appease this corrupt man and his illegal policies and actions much as they have with Mubarak in Egypt.

That is a far worse scenario than the losses and instability we face through a peoples movement for justice and the rule of law, and why I support the "long march", and its expansion if necessary, until Zardari leaves.

After Zardari What ?

Does PML-N have the numbers? or NS is better than Zardari ?

Assad,

I'm sure the same things have been said during the terms of Benazir Bhutto, Nawaz Sharif, Zia-ul-Haq, Zulfiqar Bhutto, and so forth. the truth is, there is no escaping the clutches of US influence, which has heavily infiltrated and influenced political-civil and military society, since the country's inception. I cannot even begin to explain the origins and full extent of such influence, it lies very deeply embedded in the country's bureaucracy and establishment. Even if another leader like the Imran Khan, in our dreams, takes a stand and rises from amongst the ashes of a complete government collapse or meltdown, how far will he get in pursuing his cause? A simple phone call from Washington will bring him down to his knees.

Let's ignore foreign pressure, and focus on democratic institutions instead. What chance does Imran Khan stand-and please realize that I'm giving as an example, the stallion of politicians or the knight in shining armour for youth-of winning the elections? How many votes or voters did he muster in the last election? Can he face the overwhelming might of feudals and jagirdars controlling vast swathes of territory and an x amount of expendable peasants as their support? Give me one good reason why the people did not revolt against Musharraf earlier, when the corrupt chief justice gave oath to Musharraf? When Lal Masjid was maligned and Maulana Aziz was caught escaping with a burqa, or did the population just forget all about that? It's obvious foreign pressure, insistence, and even covert sponsoring of revolution led to Musharraf's dismissal.

That is something Pakistani think tanks, strategists, and even officials from the establishment can agree with. Now, the two long marches can and cannot be comparable. We aren't seeing the same resistance of "epic proportions" in 2007, when even the media lashed out a full-blown campaign. Second, there is no telling if Zardari will budge at all. He isn't weak like Musharraf, he does not give a damn about what the people think. If he did, even for the slightest bit, he would have never even ran for the Presidency.

So let us see, what takes place and if the "aspirations of the people" in the form of the long march can actually influence decision-making. I've heard a lot of stuff, like Gillani "taking a stand" against Zardari, yet we've all seen how that's turn out to be a joke. The fact is, when Zardari says he's going to do something-i.e. kind of like when he said he was going to restore the judges-you can expect him to sit on the back-burner and re-assert his control and power. The same tactics have earned him praise, which we've seen since the beginning of his rise to Presidency, as a "shrewd" and "cunning" politician.

After Zardari What ?

Does PML-N have the numbers? or NS is better than Zardari ?
There are many reputable names in the ranks of PPP. I would think logically Aitezaz Ahsan should replace Zardari. Even a public man like Safdar Abbassi would have the support of the people.

The thing is Pakistani government is a parliamentary setup. The President's position is to be a ceremonial one. The President's power should be stripped off the 58-2b and just focus upon appointments of Military/Civilian positions. The real power of governance should remain with the PM. So Gillani is fine as it is, IF he acts against Zardari in time.

Can someone give me a link where I can watch Geo please.

I have heard the Caravan is on its way.

Do any of you guys know a good Pakistani web proxy which we can use to access Geo through the web?

Geo webtv only works from Pakistan.

Breaking News--Army Cheif to meet PM and President, and PM to adress the nation very shortly.

Something is cooking...

My take on this:

Kiyani has asked zardari to restore the CJ or get Lost!!!

and PM is going to announce it in his speech!

what say?

Back
Top Bottom