What's new

Looks like a Chinese carrier-based fixed wing AEW

Does the catapult have anything to do with the E-2s taking off though? I keep hearing that catapults are necessary for fixed wing AWACs but I think that if the carrier was just long enough there's no need for a catapult (for jets the length would be impractical but what about props?)

I also think that catapults working with prop planes may damage the props?

There's nothing that inherently prevents matching a catapult to a propeller aircraft. A carrier's catapult is re-set for every single launch, based upon the weight and type of the airplane that needs launching.

The catapult shuttle attaches to the nose gear of the aircraft, so there's no interference with the engines at all.

I'm pretty sure they do in fact use catapults for E-2 aircraft. It can't hurt, and can only help by making it safer. But Naval operations is not my specialty, I'm sure someone else knows the answer to this.

It does from the back, but look at the front, the engines seems like a jet instead of propeller type engine.

Look closely. It looks like a turbo-prop with the prop removed...which is what it is.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

There's nothing that inherently prevents matching a catapult to a propeller aircraft. A carrier's catapult is re-set for every single launch, based upon the weight and type of the airplane that needs launching.

The catapult shuttle attaches to the nose gear of the aircraft, so there's no interference with the engines at all.

I'm pretty sure they do in fact use catapults for E-2 aircraft. It can't hurt, and can only help by making it safer. But Naval operations is not my specialty, I'm sure someone else knows the answer to this.

Yes, Hawkeyes are turbo-prop...and cat launched.

Prop planes actually work better than jets from a carrier. The props "bite" very well and provide gobs of thrust at lower speeds. But more than anything, it's wing loading that matters. Jets have high wing loading and get their best lift at much higher speeds, hence the need for a catapult.

WW2 carriers didn't even have catapults. Catapults were developed to deal with jets.

especially load out planes going on a mission.. I think perhaps some jets in history would manage to take off without a catapult, if bare... never with load onboard..!

In Doolittle raid on Japan in 1942, B-25 Mitchell bombers were able to take off from CV USS Hornet. So it is possible for an AEW about the size of E-2 to take off with-out cat shot.

Back
Top Bottom