What's new

Maneka Gandhi has a point: Indian Army's animal practices need a rethink

I agree about the intelligent soldiers part but, unfortunately, the ones committing these acts are not and if they feel they need to do such acts as part of their warrior traditions then banning them from doing so would only detrimentally affect unit morale.

These pointless sacrifices need to end because those committing them right now see the futility in doing it.
what warrier tradition, brits themselves used to do horrible things.. we dont need such primitive customs to toughen up, especially when we are winning wars by better training, strategy etc. This is just a distraction.

The pic shown in this thread is of UK Gurkha troops. So it is safe to assume they have such tradition there. Notice their camouflage, that is not Indian.
you need to read the article.

(False) perceptions of others should not be the reason to do something or not to do something.

In army perception is everything because perception is morale. And morale can win or lose a war.

The Gurkhas have their own tradition and they have a right to follow them. Why don't you talk about the rajputana rifles and their silly mustache. Why should they be allowed to wear those ridiculous mustaches?

Tradition and cultural camaraderie goes a long way in building unit morale.

In army perception is everything because perception is morale. And morale can win or lose a war.

The Gurkhas have their own tradition and they have a right to follow them. Why don't you talk about the rajputana rifles and their silly mustache. Why should they be allowed to wear those ridiculous mustaches?

Tradition and cultural camaraderie goes a long way in building unit morale.
There are other ways to build morale then following this medieval practice.

you need to read the article.

So India should now follow what the British does? British have fought a war in Iraq, why did not India join them is the British are your Gurus?

Let the soldiers decide what motivates their morale. Do not preach them unless you are a soldier yourself. Very easy to sit in a chair in an AC house and decide what is good or bad. It is these Gurkhas, not you, who will be fighting battles. It is these Gurkhas who are India's first line of defence.

Let the soldiers decide what motivates their morale. Do not preach them unless you are a soldier yourself. Very easy to sit in a chair in an AC house and decide what is good or bad. It is these Gurkhas, not you, who will be fighting battles. It is these Gurkhas who are India's first line of defence.
I agree, I am against these guys being preached too by outsiders, in due time with improved awareness and education these practices will die out.

So India should now follow what the British does? British have fought a war in Iraq, why did not India join them is the British are your Gurus?

carry on dear with weirdest distraction/excuses/personal attack you can get.
I have to follow a policy of not arguing with emotionally stunted people. ta :wave:

I agree, I am against these guys being preached too by outsiders, in due time with improved awareness and education these practices will die out.

I don't want these practices to die out. These people are soldiers and warriors. They were independent when rest of India was under Turkish, Afghan, Mughal rule for a 1000 years. The Gurkhas, Assamese, Arunachali, Mizo, Ladakhi etc. these tough people have always remained independent which means they must have been doing something right.

Making them vegetables like the rest of Indians who survive on water and vegetables will weaken them.

They are fierce people, warrior people. If this is part of their tradition then so be it. What is your objection to that? Do you want the Gurkhas to eat vegetarian food like the majority of Indians do, you want them to survive on dal roti and fight the enemy?

These are warriors from a warrior culture and they deserve their tradition to carry on.

carry on dear with weirdest distraction/excuses/personal attack you can get.
I have to follow a policy of not arguing with emotionally stunted people. ta :wave:

When you cannot debate it becomes personal attack? You misread what others say, come with ridiculous statements and then start crying. Start acting mature.

maneka gandhi is not outsider.. and Indian army needs to follow modern Indian sensibility. Practice die out in civilians once it falls out of favour but army holds onto them forever(all armies including british), you need a conscious campaign against it.

Stupid question, but do they eat the meat after they kill it?

Cause that would make a huge difference... Because killing it and then throwing it away would be stupid of several levels.

"Gurkhas are the only regiment in Indian army that is feared and respected."

How would you justify this remark .

what is military effectiveness of killing animals for sacrifice to god.. we are not facing mongol hordes.. we need intelligent soldiers.
Implying thereby that had we been facing ' Mongol hordes' sacrificing animals would be acceptable ?

BTW tell this to Muslims in India & all over - they have views on sacrificing animals .

Sir, I dont understand here what is problem...They are solders who are always in situation where ONE MM/ one microsecond matter of life and death in such situation anybody can get superstitious.....so whats wrong if they feel secure (even though its false) by giving sacrifices.It just for good luck or to get blessing from god.....its there life which on knife...lets be there decision to do by which they feel secure...

I don't want these practices to die out. These people are soldiers and warriors. They were independent when rest of India was under Turkish, Afghan, Mughal rule for a 1000 years. The Gurkhas, Assamese, Arunachali, Mizo, Ladakhi etc. these tough people have always remained independent which means they must have been doing something right.

Making them vegetables like the rest of Indians who survive on water and vegetables will weaken them.

They are fierce people, warrior people. If this is part of their tradition then so be it. What is your objection to that? Do you want the Gurkhas to eat vegetarian food like the majority of Indians do, you want them to survive on dal roti and fight the enemy?

These are warriors from a warrior culture and they deserve their tradition to carry on.

When you cannot debate it becomes personal attack? You misread what others say, come with ridiculous statements and then start crying. Start acting mature.
And what about the Khalsa (Sikhs), what about the pure vegetarians Jats.... are they not fierce and brave warriors than the gurkhas... are they not from the "warrior culture", you need to modernise both internally and externally... these are barbaric medieval cultures which needs to do away with ASAP... I support total ban on any animal sacrifice and that includes bakri id too...

This veggie white pig needs a kick in her a$$... dont play bull taming, she called for ban in TN... dont eat beef that hurt my a$$, where the hell is respect for others traditions??

Jaya called for a ban on animal sacrifice.. but with in a year she backtracked due to people's anger... if u are a brahmin or vegan dont eat animals, who the hell are you to ask others to stop eating?

Just 2 days back I clicked this during the festival in our village. Its part of our tradition for 1000s of year, if u hate dont come here. But don't dictate what we need to do.

581477_417156481629622_911179552_n.jpg

If the politicians are really interested in banning such traditions and have balls, they should inform the public during election campaign itself. After winning the elections dont come and push your moronic logic.

Attachments

• 1428677802483.jpg
    1428677802483.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom