What's new

Mark Wiens Star Alliance World Trip

Of course you can, it's just that with certain types of food, roti/naan and other breads etc, it makes more sense to eat with your hand just like it does with pizza.

They do get a little messy down south where they prefer to eat with their hands, even rice and gravies.

main-qimg-28c3472fabe33974782ed96049f32b56-c

lol
I hope you do know that not everyone eats that way, nor do South Indians eat the way it's shown in Bollywood movies.
To you it might look unhygienic, bad mannered and primitive but you must understand that down south, rice is the staple food. So it makes sense to eat it with hands.
If you have noticed even the babies are taught to eat with hands first. This so because fingers help you feel the texture of food.
Btw Fork and spoon is a British culture.

Everything tastes better hand to mouth lol....on banana leaf especially.

@nair @Levina @Rajaraja Chola

Onam is around the corner. :-)
I make it a point to eat on banana leaf. Frankly, it takes a lot of skill to eat well on the leaf. I learnt it a lil late. Lol
That so because I wasn't born or brought up in south India.

Thanks sharing the video.

I hope you do know that not everyone eats that way, nor do South Indians eat the way it's shown in Bollywood movies.
To you it might look unhygienic, bad mannered and primitive but you must understand that down south, rice is the staple food. So it makes sense to eat it with hands.
If you have noticed even the babies are taught to eat with hands first. This so because fingers help you feel the texture of food.
Btw Fork and spoon is a British culture.
hey, I meant no offence with that and not being snooty, just a general observation I have made when I've been in the south and eating with my hands on a banana leaf myself, and, well, some of them do make a bit of a mess. :P

forks and spoons are very convenient for certain kinds of foods.

A little update from ongoing India trip from @BackpackingSimon who posted in this forum about his Pakistan travels:

Be sure to check out his channel!

@Sarge you were asking about Ladakh terrain, this gives some idea about it.

@WAJsal @Gibbs you might enjoy this video too

Back
Top Bottom