What's new

More M113s for Pakistan

Apparently it has been found that attaching composite armour to a M-113 gives it better protection than some of the newer APC's out there. That is why there are still so many out there.

Apparently it has been found that attaching composite armour to a M-113 gives it better protection than some of the newer APC's out there. That is why there are still so many out there.

True say Key.

In my opinion the hardest APCs out there are Israeli APCs as they convert old MBTs into APCs for use in urban areas like Achzarit which is a converted T55 MBT also which has inspired Bangladesh amongst others to do the same.

However, they do have about 5500 M113 vehicles which have been upgraded with better armour for a similar role and also to improve general battlefield survivability.

Here are some examples:

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/armored_personnel_carriers/m-113/M-113.htm

I dont know. I Have never seen any of them ever

Well information from some other Pakistani defence orientated websites say that there are about 160 BTR 70 APcs serving in a UN or army role and if we do have them I'd say they were a replacement for these.

Well information from some other Pakistani defence orientated websites say that there are about 160 BTR 70 APcs serving in a UN or army role and if we do have them I'd say they were a replacement for these.

I believe the BTR's were leased for a UN operation and were only used for that. I don't believe they are still in operation (nor have been for a while)

I believe the BTR's were leased for a UN operation and were only used for that. I don't beleive they are still in operation (nor have been for a while)

I second that. BTR-60/70s in use by the Pakistani Army have only been for UNPK Ops. We received them while units were deputed overseas. None of the active Pakistani Army units are equipped with the type.

Regarding recent operations in the tribal areas where I saw pictures of forces with lightly armoured wheeled vehicles namely the enschel Wehrtechnik UR-416 M armoured personnel carrier that Israeli type MBT to APC conversion of our Type 59 tanks would be ideal.

I think that it would be good due to the hardware the militants possess and good for protecting troops in urban type operations.

A similar conversion has been carried out by Bangladesh

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/armored_personnel_carriers/achzarit/Achzarit.html

JK,

Possible to get the picture you saw?

I distinctly recall seeing the photo somewhere in the BBC news pages for South Asia ages ago.

I googled waziristan and a French website shows a photo of paramilitaries with the vehicles I mentioned:

http://www.bassirat.net/news/read_news.php?n=1705

My concern regarding that vehicle is that it has only 8mm of steel armour according to my Janes land vehicles guide whereas an RPG 7 which tribesmen have can penetrate 330mm of armour.

Having said that the vehicle appears to be in use with paramilitaries and I'm not sure as to what the regular army uses in waziristan.

Back
Top Bottom