What's new

Of interfaith harmony: Believing in unity of religions, Hindu doctor practices fasting

sorry to say then u are being hypocrit,,,if u think those things are bad in first place then u should quit them permanently.and quiting that stuff u mentioned for a few days will have 0 effect on ur health,trust me...............maybe u may reduce weight,thats it

I appreciate your thoughts and as regards being a hypocrite m- arent we all in small ways in our daily lives.

As regards leaving things permanently like its said ' all good things in life are either illegal, harmful to health or environment or likely to cause AIDS.

Answer = Everything is ok in small doses. i.e Moderation

I appreciate your thoughts and as regards being a hypocrite m- arent we all in small ways in our daily lives.

As regards leaving things permanently like its said ' all good things in life are either illegal, harmful to health or environment or likely to cause AIDS.

Answer = Everything is ok in small doses. i.e Moderation

nope,,,smoking is not.....rest are fine.
but smoking will protect u from alzheimers,ulcerative colitis and primary sclerosing colangitis..............so there u are.

now feel a bit happy,will u.:cheers:

The guy was openly supporting the murder of civilians in Gaza along with other Islamophobic posts. This support towards killing of Palestinians is something that is totally unacceptable for me. I know what you are saying but these guys open support to killing of muslims is just beyond my tolerance level.
And only thing you do is your anti Islamic rants. At least I don't go on every other thread to show my hate/phobia/insecurity for Hinduism. Get loss idiot. Nobody likes your existence here.

Again u r writing out of context,One Man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist,goes the proverb.What about the attacks on TTP,BLA,there r some on this forum who would love to nuke Wazirstan,while others want carpet bombing.Hamas is to Israel what BLA,TTP is to Pakistan

PS: Just because Muslims have ruled them for a few centuries, the Sanghis like @Contrarian and @notsuperstitious have totally gone psychotic in their hate for Islam.

@Contrarian,@illusion8
Muslims ruled for 8 centuries while the Hindus & Buddhists ruled for more then thousands of years. What about the Ranjeet Singh whose empire extended right upto Kabul.

And only thing you do is your anti Islamic rants. At least I don't go on every other thread to show my hate/phobia/insecurity for Hinduism. Get loss idiot. Nobody likes your existence here.

Again u r writing out of context,One Man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist,goes the proverb.What about the attacks on TTP,BLA,there r some on this forum who would love to nuke Wazirstan,while others want carpet bombing.Hamas is to Israel what BLA,TTP is to Pakistan

@Contrarian,@illusion8
Muslims ruled for 8 centuries while the Hindus & Buddhists ruled for more then thousands of years. What about the Ranjeet Singh whose empire extended right upto Kabul.

ranjit singh rule was for 40 years only

Really? You are telling this chap to not be personal and stop insulting? The only thing the guy does is abuse on each thread.

With full moderation protection as admitted by a mod here. Most of these people are just abusive angry superstitious folks who think claiming superiority is some sort of an argument. Even the mods are not above such tribal mob mentality.

With full moderation protection as admitted by a mod here. Most of these people are just abusive angry superstitious folks who think claiming superiority is some sort of an argument. Even the mods are not above such tribal mob mentality.

Excuse me, which mod is protecting trolls here, and how?

Excuse me, which mod is protecting trolls here, and how?

All of them. Biggest trolls like windjammer has zero negative ratings. The troll on this thread only throws vile abuses on all threads including at poster's moms and sisters. All those posts are still there and he hardly ever gets banned. This system of ''cutting slack'' (as admitted by you on this very thread) to one's tribe is crystal clear.

All of them. Biggest trolls like windjammer has zero negative ratings. The troll on this thread only throws vile abuses on all threads including at poster's moms and sisters. All those posts are still there and he hardly ever gets banned. This system of ''cutting slack'' (as admitted by you on this very thread) to one's tribe is crystal clear.

Crystal clear is also the slack that is cut to your kind. Do you know how many instances we mods ignore, just because of the number of troll posts, most of which are made by the ones of Indian back-ground. Read this thread from the start and tell me who started trolling. People like you can not see their own contributions, and must blame others.

If you have a problem with how I handled Areesh, then that is your problem. Shove it.

Crystal clear is also the slack that is cut to your kind. Do you know how many instances we mods ignore, just because of the number of troll posts, most of which are made by the ones of Indian back-ground. Read this thread from the start and tell me who started trolling. People like you can not see their own contributions, and must blame others.

If you have a problem with how I handled Areesh, then that is your problem. Shove it.

All the posts were on topic, till someone personally named and attacked me, contrarion and ephone and brought in israel.

I do not expect you to be neutral. So its ok. And you can follow the advice you gave me.

I have generally found mods to be of equitable disposition to all. Though few do not. Chak Bamu in my opinion is pretty impartial and when he does cut slack its because of reasons he explains.

In any case, you ought not to respond to abusive posters, that is literally the best way, Don't respond, just report.

By
Published: July 13, 2014
734900-indudoctor-1405189206-151-640x480.JPG

Dr Lekhraj Lalwani breaks fast with members of other religious communities. PHOTO COURTESY: PAKISTAN PEACE COALITION FOR INTERFAITH HARMONY

KARACHI:
It was out of curiosity that Dr Lekhraj Lalwani observed a fast for the first time in Ramazan. Over the years, it has been become a matter of spirituality that has made him continue the routine. “I am even fasting right now,” he told The Express Tribune over the phone on Friday.

The doctor, a follower of the Hindu faith, claims he was six years old when he observed his first roza.

“Some of my fellow-students were fasting and I wanted to know why they were doing so,” he reminisces. “So I decided not to eat or drink anything just like them,” says the 40-year-old, recalling the childhood days he spent in a government school in Malir Khokhrapar.

The family was shocked to hear about his fast. His father was very angry. “He would try to stop me and would take away my cycle to make me break the fast. I was young and I told him I just wanted to see what it was about.”

As he grew older, fasting in the month of Ramazan became more of a habit. Lalwani came to believe that God was the same for everyone, no matter what religion they followed. “God is everywhere for everyone. All the religions preach the same thing: to do good and stay away from evil.”

With several Muslim friends who celebrate the Hindu festivals of Diwali and Holi with him and his family, Lalwani’s house is home to statues of Hindu deities as well as Islamic literature.

While his family has gradually come to accept his unusual practice of fasting in the holy month of Ramazan, he faced stiff resistance in the beginning. “My parents were afraid that I would convert and would stop practicing my faith. With time, they realised nothing of that sort was going to happen and they never forced me to discontinue the practice.”

Lalwani, who also heads a small organisation called the Pakistan Peace Coalition for Interfaith Harmony, also tries to pray in the Muslim way.

He has memorised some of the Quranic verses used in Namaz and reads out Surah Al Fatiha, but says he won’t pray until and unless he has memorised them properly as meanings can change. “While I am fasting, I often recite Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai’s poetry. It keeps me away from bad things and I don’t lie,” he says.

As a father of five children, Lalwani is making sure his kids study about different religions, saying that his daughter has also observed two fasts this Ramzan.

“I am very fond of eating but as soon as Ramazan starts, I just stop eating,” he said, adding that he likes to break his fast by dates and fruits. Lalwani plans to fast throughout the month of Ramazan and will celebrate Eid with as much fervor as his Muslim neighbours.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 13th, 2014.

Unity of religions, or perennialism, is rejected by Islam. All Muslim sects are in agreement that perennialism is disbelief.

Soon he will start eating Beef for religious harmony.

very good point

Interfaith harmony must not be confused with perennialism

Sorry but they dont have to keep fasting to show their tolerance. Tolerance is letting others practice their religious beliefs/practices and give them this freedom of choice even if you consider it wrong/false choice. fasting is obligatory upon Muslims..Its there to obtain taqwa....fasting is not all about food lol

yes, exactly. Fasting is about constant remembrance of God [ to instill Fear of God for one's own salvation ] and His Last Messenger for Muslims. It is to control ego, and to keep the afterlife in mind [ to know one's real status and dependence on God, one's helplessness and origin and return, which is to dust ]

Tolerance in faith means free choice and respect for each other as human beings based on human rights. But it does not mean malicious mixing of religions. Freedom of religion comes under the Islamic pretext of no compulsion in religion, as hidayat only comes from God, not forced by one man over another. Tolerance in other areas means not discriminating against someone based on some held dispositions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom