What's new

Pakistan: Age is no barrier to learning

Meesna

Reaction score
Sitara_blog1.jpg

Zulqarnain Ahmed, Assistant Examination Services Officer (IELTS) in Islamabad, encounters a remarkable and inspirational student.

With the sort of things we see, hear and observe in this day and age, you might be tempted to think nothing can surprise you anymore.

But last month I met Sitara Brooj Akbar, and my sceptical bubble was entirely burst.

Scoring a Band 7 on your IELTS exam is pretty impressive when you’re in your 20s, it is nothing short of amazing when you are Sitara, who is all of 11 years old.

When I saw her at the IELTS exam venue, I first thought she was the daughter of a candidate, but was understandably shocked (and remained so for a while) when I found out she was, in fact, a candidate.

In my three year experience within the IELTS department at the British Council, she was the youngest candidate I have ever dealt with and upon speaking to her I realised that she was an extraordinary young girl with above average intelligence.

Hailing from Rabwah (Chenab Nagar), a small town in Pakistan’s Punjab province, it’s hard to believe you’re conversing with an 11 year old when you’re speaking to Sitara. She has already passed five O level subjects including English, physics, chemistry and biology (subjects that, despite my age, still continue to terrify me), making her the youngest O level candidate in the world.

Having passed chemistry at the age of nine, she gives credit to her parents for inspiring her to achieve all that she has. Sitara believes anyone can achieve the extraordinary if they put their minds to it but lamented that not many do.

“The most important thing I did was setting a life goal,” she told me. “Unfortunately, I do not see the majority of my peers doing this and that is the reason we do not achieve anything; because we do not set any goals for ourselves.”

Big words for a small girl; but one can’t help but admire her conviction.

Currently studying to take her A levels privately, Sitara sees herself becoming a scientist, which is why she chose mostly science subjects for her O levels.

So why did she choose to take the IELTS exam?

Apparently she wanted to test her proficiency in English as well as her shortcomings. Scoring an overall 7 with a 7.5 in the speaking module, her English is – needless to say – quite strong.

I felt quite a bit of pride when Sitara went ahead to compliment the British Council.

“It is the first organisation that opened opportunities for me despite my age,” she said. “It will always be close to my heart.”

The future looks bright for Pakistan with girls like Sitara following their dream, and the British Council will be there to help them along the way.

I would wish best of luck to her, but with her sharp mind and laser focus, she hardly needs it.

Pakistan: Age is no barrier to learning

Yes this is correct that age is no barrier to learning, but how come in Pakistan the age limit is 25 to attend most colleges/universities, meaning no one can start their hgher education in a public college/university after the age of 25. In North America, even people in their 50's or 60's can attend college/university.

This is not fair for those people who want to continue their higher education later in life or lets say someone is working in his/her 20's and want to finish their higher education in their late 20's because they can not afford tuition, or someone who is married and has children and can not complete her education and would like to complete her higher education later in life. There are many circumstances people have, and the option to attend college/university should be given to all adults regardless of age.

^^^^Go screw yourself.I want it the land too,we get it.......

Now I want the learning from it too.......

Yes this is correct that age is no barrier to learning, but how come in Pakistan the age limit is 25 to attend most colleges/universities, meaning no one can start their hgher education in a public college/university after the age of 25. In North America, even people in their 50's or 60's can attend college/university.

This is not fair for those people who want to continue their higher education later in life or lets say someone is working in his/her 20's and want to finish their higher education in their late 20's because they can not afford tuition, or someone who is married and has children and can not complete her education and would like to complete her higher education later in life. There are many circumstances people have, and the option to attend college/university should be given to all adults regardless of age.
I expected a news like that, an elderly person making an effort.
I have no time for child genius, and their pushy mostly middle class parents. Too many of these on tv now a days.

I expected a news like that, an elderly person making an effort.
I have no time for child genius, and their pushy mostly middle class parents. Too many of these on tv now a days.

Yes especially South Asians and their pushy middle class parents.

There is some things I love about Pakistan and there is also some things I love about western countries.

Kids should be enjoying their childhood, not competing with young adults.

Imran Khan was educated in the west, I hope he changes the education system in Pakistan.

The western education system is the best in the world, and everyone is given an opportunity to achieve their dreams (poor, middle class, rich, old, everyone). In Pakistan, only the middle class and the rich and those below 25 can achieve their dreams through a good education.

Yes especially South Asians and their pushy middle class parents.

There is some things I love about Pakistan and there is also some things I love about western countries.

Kids should be enjoying their childhood, not competing with young adults.

Imran Khan was educated in the west, I hope he changes the education system in Pakistan.

The western education system is the best in the world, and everyone is given an opportunity to achieve their dreams (poor, middle class, rich, old, everyone). In Pakistan, only the middle class and the rich and those below 25 can achieve their dreams through a good education.

The great thing about the west is their education system and i totally agree with that. There is completely no match. In universities here they teach you how to invent jobs and not how to find jobs. This is the difference.

In pakistan almost every kid is on self-financing. Well that includes middle class and rich class. Nothing like that exists here in Canada. Maybe in the U.S. If you can't work your way through then too bad go to college or do another year in high school. I was looking at the fact the each University in Canada has at least a budget of 100-500 million dollars. in the U.S, harvard has a budget of a couple of billion dollars. Thats just amazing...

America is different. And if you're unemployed in Canada then you get at least $500-1000/ month from the government, which is still better than nothing. So the thing is you can't be left on the street alone to die. Even if you're sick we have a health care system to treat you for free! You can become and do anything. The key to success will always be hardwork

SITARA BROOJ BECOMES THE YOUNGEST STUDENT IN THE WORLD TO PASS O' LEVEL EXAMS

Sitara_blog1.jpg

Zulqarnain Ahmed, Assistant Examination Services Officer (IELTS) in Islamabad, encounters a remarkable and inspirational student.

With the sort of things we see, hear and observe in this day and age, you might be tempted to think nothing can surprise you anymore.
But last month I met Sitara Brooj Akbar, and my sceptical bubble was entirely burst.
Scoring a Band 7 on your IELTS exam is pretty impressive when you’re in your 20s, it is nothing short of amazing when you are Sitara, who is all of 11 years old.
When I saw her at the IELTS exam venue, I first thought she was the daughter of a candidate, but was understandably shocked (and remained so for a while) when I found out she was, in fact, a candidate.
In my three year experience within the IELTS department at the British Council, she was the youngest candidate I have ever dealt with and upon speaking to her I realised that she was an extraordinary young girl with above average intelligence.
Hailing from Rabwah (Chenab Nagar), a small town in Pakistan’s Punjab province, it’s hard to believe you’re conversing with an 11 year old when you’re speaking to Sitara. She has already passed five O level subjects including English, physics, chemistry and biology (subjects that, despite my age, still continue to terrify me), making her the youngest O level candidate in the world.
Having passed chemistry at the age of nine, she gives credit to her parents for inspiring her to achieve all that she has. Sitara believes anyone can achieve the extraordinary if they put their minds to it but lamented that not many do.
“The most important thing I did was setting a life goal,” she told me. “Unfortunately, I do not see the majority of my peers doing this and that is the reason we do not achieve anything; because we do not set any goals for ourselves.”
Currently studying to take her A levels privately, Sitara sees herself becoming a scientist, which is why she chose mostly science subjects for her O levels.
Apparently she wanted to test her proficiency in English as well as her shortcomings. Scoring an overall 7 with a 7.5 in the speaking module, her English is – needless to say – quite strong.
I felt quite a bit of pride when Sitara went ahead to compliment the British Council.
“It is the first organisation that opened opportunities for me despite my age,” she said. “It will always be close to my heart.”
The future looks bright for Pakistan with girls like Sitara following their dream, and the British Council will be there to help them along the way.
I would wish best of luck to her, but with her sharp mind and laser focus, she hardly needs it.

:pakistan: :pakistan: :pakistan:

source: Pakistan: Age is no barrier to learning

She is lucky to have access to open education. I hope every muslim women can enjoy such opportunity.

SITARA BROOJ BECOMES THE YOUNGEST STUDENT IN THE WORLD TO PASS O' LEVEL EXAMS

Sitara_blog1.jpg

:pakistan: :pakistan: :pakistan:

source: Pakistan: Age is no barrier to learning

Well done Sitara, Congrats Pakistan. You should be a role model for Pakistani women.

She should be a role model to not just Pakistanis but to all people, education is a universal value.

Back
Top Bottom