What's new

Pakistan aims to sell national airline before election

BHarwana

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan will try to privatize its national airline before general elections due this year, privatization minister Daniyal Aziz said, as the ruling party seeks to restart sales of state-run businesses.

Pakistan International Airlines (PIAa.KA)(PIA), hemorrhaging money and losing market share to Gulf-based rivals such as Etihad and Emirates, has been hit by management turmoil in recent years and a 2016 plane crash that led to 47 deaths.

The privatization of loss-making entities that were draining the exchequer was a key priority for the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party when it swept to power in 2013.

PIA was among 68 state-owned companies earmaked for privatization in return for a $6.7 billion International Monetary Fund package that helped Pakistan to stave off a default in 2013.

Despite some initial success, the process stalled in 2016 after staff protests caused havoc with PIA operations and the government passed a law that effectively made it impossible to privatize the airline.

But Aziz, chairman of the Privatisation Commission, told Reuters that new plans have been drawn up to sell off PIA and he would take the proposals to the cabinet committee on privatization, chaired by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi.

“Next step would be going to the cabinet committee ... and that’s imminent, maybe even next week,” Aziz said in his Islamabad office this week.

The new plans focus on splitting up the carrier, with the core airline business being separated from vast peripheral operations such as catering, hotels and maintenance, Aziz said. The core airline would then be sold.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ational-airline-before-election-idUSKBN1F30NX

Please sell the airline over staffed with corrupt incompetent fools... A failing corrupt government enterprise.

Yes PML-N the last corruption Plan of PML-N

I don't understand why are they selling PIA now because CPEC is going to be in full flow and PIA will receive twice as much traffic so why now when things will be getting good for PIA.

Things will never get good for pia no matter what. The airline pretty much had a monolpoly for all the foreign expat Pakistani visitng Pakistan in the millions on an annual basis... And they messed that up... What makes you think if they have the CPEC cargo monopoly that they won't mess that up too?

A blind monkey with one arm missing could run PIA more efficiently and for a profit than these corrupt goons.

Things will never get good for pia no matter what. The airline pretty much had a monolpoly for all the foreign expat Pakistani visitng Pakistan in the millions on an annual basis... And they messed that up... What makes you think if they have the CPEC cargo monopoly that they won't mess that up too?

A blind monkey with one arm missing could run PIA more efficiently and for a profit than these corrupt goons.
The most profitable PIA routes were those that have been over taken by Emirates. Destinations like Libya Syria Iraq which Gave PIA a lot of money are now countries in runes. The News destination in central Asian countries are what will save PIA. Instead of selling PIA they need to down size it.

Please sell the airline over staffed with corrupt incompetent fools... A failing corrupt government enterprise.

I agree, The PM's own AirBlue is making profits but PIA can't........I wonder why?

I agree, The PM's own AirBlue is making profits but PIA can't........I wonder why?

No government owned entity can compete in a cut throat global market where every dollar of efficiency counts... Only a private company can...

PIA acts as a jobs entitlement franchise... Corrupt and inefficient.

Sell it to Qatar Airways... or else... Make it Great...and rebuy later on...

Pia did well in the sixties to the eighties because most of the world airlines were themselves government owned inefficient airlines..

Come the nineties onwards when global private airlines came on stage and pia own corruption threw them out of the global market.

PIA needs to be private to compete in today's very competitive airline business.

As long as it's a fair open sale... Look at the Saudi ARAMCO sale, the Saudi's aren't going to let 1-cent get lost.

edit: are to aren't

Last edited:
so we have two options either bring angels or honest people which will not happen as PML N and PPPP will STILL be ruling parties when my grand children grow old
so only option is to limit their ability to do corruption, i.e seel every govt assest ...

US diesnt has a public airliner

The most profitable PIA routes were those that have been over taken by Emirates. Destinations like Libya Syria Iraq which Gave PIA a lot of money are now countries in runes. The News destination in central Asian countries are what will save PIA. Instead of selling PIA they need to down size it.
and how?
PIA is our new arena of smuggling and poltical jobs

and how?
PIA is our new arena of smuggling and poltical jobs

Political jobs are in every industry and smuggling is something more done in USA air lines. PIA has to be down sized. Nawaz is selling PIA to make some heavy exit cash.

Political jobs are in every industry and smuggling is something more done in USA air lines. PIA has to be down sized. Nawaz is selling PIA to make some heavy exit cash.
can you give me an example of poltical jobs in a private enterprise???
also can you point out a single episode of heroine smuggling and mobile phone smuggling in usa airlines(inside the airplane)

or any other airline in the world apart from PIA

Back
Top Bottom