What's new

PAKISTAN NAVY PROCURES WS-61 SEA KING HELICOPTERS FROM QATAR

If it’s only three helicopters then AW101 might still be a good option too.
Yeah. I myself believe that Sea Kings are on countdown - a stop gap measure. The moment there will be sufficient need and capacity for a new platform, the Navy will opt for it.
People here want to see ASW version of 101 in Navy without putting into perspective the bigger picture. There is no warship in fleet with deck large enough to support such heavy helicopter.
Even if we assume near future fleet, I see no room for ASW version of 101. Reason? Same as before. Yes, transport version can be procured and indeed will be required in sufficient numbers to supplement and eventually replace Sea Kings. Standard version is needed for shore based operation, aerial logistics, search & rescue, humanitarian & disaster relief and special ops.
As per ASW version of 101, as long as there are no 'big warships' with appropriate hanger and deck facility, we won't see any AW-101 doing ship borne ASuW-ASW. AW-159, provided we go pure Western route, will suite us far better.
Z9 is basically French licensed version , it’s engines , radar etc perhaps the reason why pn opted
Alamgir can carry (and house) all types of helicopters currently in Navy fleet. But can it undertake all types of helicopter borne ASuW-ASW via sensor integration? It's a different story.

Last edited:
Yeah. I myself believe that Sea Kings are on countdown - a stop gap measure. The moment there will be sufficient need and capacity for a new platform, the Navy will opt for it.
People here want to see ASW version of 101 in Navy without putting into perspective the bigger picture.
If we assume AW-101 as per current and near future fleet, I see no room for ASW version of 101. Yes, transport version can be procured and indeed will be required in sufficient numbers to supplement and eventually replace Sea Kings.
As per ASW version of 101, as long as there are no 'big warship' with appropriate hanger and deck facility, we won't see any. AW-159, provided we go pure Western route, will suite us far better.

Alamgir can carry (and house) all types of helicopters currently in Navy fleet. But can it undertake ASW along side all helicopter types via sensor integration? It's a different story.
Very good observations!

@The Eagle @LeGenD should we open a new thread on PN's next ASW platform?

Very good observations!

@The Eagle @LeGenD should we open a new thread on PN's next ASW platform?
GrimHappyHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

Hell No. Until and Unless you want to reveal full news which you have. But Sir if you can't reveal full news due to nature of your job then we should start the threat only when PN breaks the news.

Qatar is only interested in JF-17B for LIFT purposes iirc. They have not inducted any other platform for that role yet so I would assume the interest is still there. Maybe they are waiting for their new fighters (EF Typhoon) to arrive from Italy first.

AW-159 isn’t just a “modified British Lynx”, it’s a proper modern helicopter (much newer than the AW101 infact) with good ASW/ASUW capabilities. The difference is like AH-1F and AH-1Z, same design but the latter is obviously not old like the former.

The Turkish and Damen ships cannot accommodate a helicopter the size of the AW101 afaik. And the Chinese ones already have Z-9D coming. So AW159, Z9-D and More sea kings seems to be the plan for now, however as stated by others the navy has been surprising us a lot recently, I could be entirely wrong, and I wouldn’t even mind 🤣

Why not also Z-9Ds on the Turkish and Damen ships, stick on two platforms would save a great number of costs.

Why not also Z-9Ds on the Turkish and Damen ships, stick on two platforms would save a great number of costs.

I think as many keep saying, you are trying to integrate Chinese avionics, data links and weapons from the Z-9D into Western/NATO systems on the MILGEMS and Yarmooks. May not be feasible and in fact the OEMs may have sold us these ships on the condition we do not do this.

How do we know the Z-9 is integrated with the OHP?

The OHP a one-off ship that is an anomaly in the PN fleet because the U.S. refused to supply the other 5.

The PN originally wanted the UH-60 with those ships too. I wonder why?

There are levels of interoperability we can't achieve (due to end-user limits or other issues) between Western and Chinese systems. The PN even dropped configuring the HQ-16 to the MILGEM in favour of the CAMM-ER.
Yes once US declined to release the other 5 ships, PN was not inclined to foot the bill for an extensive refit for just 1 vessel. We had requested 6 SH60 F for the planned 6 ship acquisition which was cancelled as well.

There are a lot of sensors that are linked b/w Ship & helo such as ASW & Sonar that you cannot intergarte with Chinese systems. Plus non US helicopters lack the LAMPS Mk III system required for helicopter operation in worse sea states. So even though you may see Z9 on Alamgir, it may have limited usage.

1628095899906.png

People still struggle to transfer basic files between windows to apple or andriod phones which are still generally open source and non-sensitive technology , and here we are talking about syncing everything from Sonar, Radar and ELINT in real time between platforms from different manufacturers from different countries and different development standards

After Al Jazeera documentary it seem we need to do it faster and even look for bases around the world. Plus we need ICBM and SLBM. And need to do it fast.

We could possibly ask Turkey and Malaysia to allow us to set up a naval base in their country.
Turkey can allow us since we’re buying many turkish origin ships for our navy and we can allow Turks to make a naval base in Pakistan in exchange they give us one in Turkey.
Malaysia we can offer them cheaper jf-17s and to join cpec in exchange for a naval base in Malaysia. A naval base in Malaysia will make it a nightmare for Indian andaman and nicobar islands. A naval base in Turkey will be close to Israel and Suez Canal and it’ll be far enough so Indians don’t attack it but it’ll be close enough that if we at happens those ships can operate from there and harass Indian trade.

We could possibly ask Turkey and Malaysia to allow us to set up a naval base in their country.
Turkey can allow us since we’re buying many turkish origin ships for our navy and we can allow Turks to make a naval base in Pakistan in exchange they give us one in Turkey.
Malaysia we can offer them cheaper jf-17s and to join cpec in exchange for a naval base in Malaysia. A naval base in Malaysia will make it a nightmare for Indian andaman and nicobar islands. A naval base in Turkey will be close to Israel and Suez Canal and it’ll be far enough so Indians don’t attack it but it’ll be close enough that if we at happens those ships can operate from there and harass Indian trade.
You be better of going the SSN route and just mine the Indian ports, it will have the desired effect your are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom