What's new

Pakistan to sue India

A.Rahman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: In a daring and unprecedented move, Islamabad has embarked on a legal battle in India against New Delhi for unlawfully declaring Super Basmati rice, a purely Pakistani brand, its own produce, a senior government official told The News.

Islamabad has served a formal notice on New Delhi for inflicting huge damage on Pakistan as India has illegally registered Super Basmati, undisputed Pakistan’s brand, under its Export Act. “India’s this act is feared to deprive Pakistan of exporting Super Basmati rice to the world’s largest market of European Union, thus subjecting Pakistan to huge financial loss.

Under Section 80 of Indian Penal Code, serving a notice to the Indian government is mandatory prior to moving a court of law in India, which is why Islamabad served formal notice to Indian ministry of commerce on July 19, 2007.

On behalf of Pakistan, TCP, Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan (REAP) will be petitioners and Fazal Abbas Mekan Trade Minister High Commission of Pakistan in New Delhi has been authorized on their behalf to proceed with case, which would be filed in a court of law in India. Secretary Commerce Asif Shah confirmed this to The News. However, he said the both countries have decided to get Basmati rice registered jointly as many of the countries have come out to get Basmati registered to have the right to export it.

Asif Shah explained that Super Basmati is a kind of rice that is purely Pakistan’s brand and a commodity with regard to its geographical Indication (GI), which is why Pakistan has decided to wage a legal battle against India.

-----

http://thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=9485

I couldn't care less whose it is, so long as the West does not patent it as theirs as they are doing for many ideas and products of the Orient!

One thing I sure know and that is that SHAN Masala is of Pakistan! Nothing comes close to it!

I don't think Pakistan and India should screw around with each others patented/trademarked products like this. Hopefully India will cooperate in this matter.

Its a shameful business. I hope we can settle this without losing our face

India has been getting away with screwing Pakistani rice industry ever since Pakistani exporters made a series of blunders during the 90s the obvious alternative was then the Indian rice.

Pakistani exporters for sometime were exporting rice with small pieces of rocks and stones. A lot of markets switched.

Once you lose good faith anything is possible. Of course todays' industry is much different but I'm sure a lot of executives still remember all that.

So what did Indians do? Copy the name? Or repackaged the rice under their name and sold it off? I think the lawsuit should be expanded into a lot more copyright violations done by Indians, especially Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) violations. Pakistan should AT LEAST sue the crap out of Anu Malik, the rest would fall in line. Times have changed, its not like back when Nazia Hassan sued Indians music directors for putting their name in songs she had created, and instead she was chased out of India. The thing is Most of the Pakistani songs copied in India have been chart busters, so we will have a very good case.

Asim,

Next you will be claiming that rice with stones is a Pakistani innovation! ;) :)

Just ribbing!

National's Qorma is much better than Shan's Qorma.

Infact I pretty much prefer National over Shan. National uses a lot less red chilli powder within its spices, so you can add more of it.

I usually cook Shan with half the masala according to the servings. But Shan's the best for Biryani. It has such a big variety of different types of Biryanis.

I also cook with only half a packet.

Yes, the Mall manager says National is liked by the customers, but I prefer Shan.

Here's some basmati solid snake:

834a2167d0d69c7e23a4080914d9e653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom