What's new

Pakistani army: No new offensive for 6-12 months

Have you actually been on the ground and witnessed the situation first hand? Or are you just making these assumptions based on reading some news articles on the internet? If it's the latter, I suggest you to just keep it at those two cents. Since the internet revolution every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he's qualified to make judgements about anything and everything.

No I have not been on the ground. However, as long as its my own cents, I will decide whether its 2 or more.

Also, was not making any judgement but was definitely trying to understand the reasoning behind the strategy...

BTW, since how long have you been living in S Waziristan??

No I have not been on the ground. However, as long as its my own cents, I will decide whether its 2 or more.

Also, was not making any judgement but was definitely trying to understand the reasoning behind the strategy...

BTW, since how long have you been living in S Waziristan??

Just a kind advice, keep it at those two cents.

Yes, I've been on the ground and witnessed the situation first hand. I don't live in SW. :bunny:

Last edited:
Its a strategical decision amd I think very good one.
There are many reasons but 2 reasons are major in my view.

1. Pakistan only wanted to throw away Talibans from Pak boundry. Which they have almost done and they want to secure the area (Waziristan) now and keep talibans away from the Pak border. Because Talibans are not worse threat, if compared to India.
2. USA is going to move back and withdraw their forces within next 1 or 2 years and they wanted someone to fight at their place in Afghanistan (keeping in mind that Taliban rising in Afghanistan once again) and remain their so they can get save exit.....and they have 2 choices...Pak Army or Indian Army.....but their best choice is Pak Army. I guess Pakistan hav sensed and announced that they cant open a new offense for next 1 year.

This is most likely due to anti pakistani words spoken by US State Officials.I think it's great that General Kiyani & team has shown some balls to US.US can go **** itself.Expect a lot of propoganda for next 12 month as army has announced no more offensive so America will start media war now with usual ISI this ISI that rhetoric.

This is a sound strategy. Can't go around opening up battle fronts left, right and center, also keeping in mind India firing into our territory killing and wounding our jawans.
Don't bite more than you can chew, I always say.

I am not certain this statement was a surprise to the US or Gates.

IIRC, Hollbrooke said much the same thing in Kabul, that the PA was stretched very thin. So the message was privately delivered, at the latest, days ago to Hollbrooke.

Sound like PA units are tired and very low on provided fund on this war on terror. Most probably PA will wait until funds are not released.

I dont think India is supporting any terrorists, but lets say it is.. Then it is payback to pakistan supporting terrorists in the attack on parliament and 26/11 and the decades of fermenting terrorism in Punjab and Kashmir...

I ASK AS A COMMEN PAKISTAN WHAT WE EARN FROM ALL THIS ? indo-pak people suffer for this all.:frown:

Just a kind advice, keep it at those two cents.

Yes, I've been on the ground and witnessed the situation first hand. I don't live in SW. :bunny:

I will think over your advice but doesnt look like it has much of hope..

Agree to the logic but consolidation should not take 12 months. Also once the area is cleared, the local law enforcement starts pitching in. And even in army, aren't the offensive brigades and the the brigades used for holding and consolidation different.

Just my 2 cents for a discussion.. not a flame...

Its a hilly area and a very vast area. Take the case of Indian occupied forces deployed in IOK, they are hundred thousands of forces but still vast area is left to be searched for militants or constant troop presence can't be kept.

We don't have offensive or defensive brigades, that concept is in the conventional doctrine where you have your RAPID formations and we have our Strike Formations. The elite troops, but these troops are of no use in COIN.

And such COIN operations takes years to clear up the area. Even 12 months would be less.

This statement and the one issued after the SPD meeting yesterday or a day earlier is a message for the Americans.

As the US has been doing blah blah blah at every forum, so now its Pakistan's time to give them a message.

US not to repeat mistake of leaving Pak alone: Gates

Updated at: 2300 PST, Thursday, January 21, 2010

ISLAMABAD: US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates says that United States will not repeat the past mistake of leaving Pakistan alone.

He said the US has learnt a lesson from leaving Pakistan alone after end of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. Gates said the apprehensions being expressed about the US interference in Pakistan’s internal affairs are baseless.

“The US doesn’t feel Pakistan is facing any threat from its eastern borders,” he said.

The US Defense Secretary said: “The Taliban are getting money from drugs, kidnap for ransom and smuggling while financial help is also coming to them from Middle East nations.”

Source: US not to repeat mistake of leaving Pak alone: Gates

its not about pushing talibans out of the area. its about making sure that women can go for shopping without any fear. and to insure this, 6 to 12 months is not a long time. remember its not just south waziristan, its orakzai, khurram, swat and may be bajur as well.
enough with the fighting. army has achieved most of the targets. now its time to calm things down and take government institutions to these areas. ensure economic and social development etc.

The US doesn’t feel Pakistan is facing any threat from its eastern borders

One hand the yanks say India patience is running out and then on the other, they rant about Pakistan not facing any threat from easthern borders? They need to make their mind up.

It is definately a good move by Pak Army, there is absolutely no need to start any offensive. We have taken back Swat & will soon take back SWA too. Life in Swat is returning to normal and, InshAllah, soon SWA will catch up too.

As far as N Waziristan is concerned, well there is no reason why PA should go there. Haqqani network is not bothering Pakistan and they are not targetting innocent Pakistani's. So, therefore there is no need for army to go there and start shooting. US can either wait or can just F*** off. Our army is already stretched, we have already sacrificed a lot in this war and yet the yanks tell us to "do more". Now it's time Pak army show some balls and tell the Yanks to get lost.

PS: As patriot said above, expect a lot of ranting from Western & Indian media, US and GoI over the next year. ISI this, ISI that; PA is this, PA is that.:blah: :blah:

Back
Top Bottom