What's new

Pakistani army: No new offensive for 6-12 months

It would have been nice if the statement would have come from GOP not from a Pak Army spokesman :coffee: Shame on GOP

They have not been exhausted, all they need is time to clear the current area which they have captured, as large areas are still to be cleared. Just see Swat, still on daily basis militants being killed and captured and even in Malakand, there are still areas which army has not checked out fully.

Same for SWA, there is still 20% of the hardest area still to be taken by from the militants. If Army moves into any new area, it will have to lighten its troop concentration in the already captured area, thus giving militants the room to come into these areas, so end result would be the same.

PA can't release more troops, as already a hundred thousand troops are engaged and they have to clear our the Kurran-Orakzai Agencies too, as the militants have assembled there.

So the strategy is right, but if someone wishes to think it as a ploy to get more time, they are most welcome.

But Taimi is there a risk of these people regroup and better prepared for the next offensive of the Army ?? This break will be helpfull for TTP to regroup itself also..

^^ Regroup where? In Lahore or outside Parliament? LOL

They are all scattered around now, their havens have been taken away from them. Their leaders are hiding, fighters left in SWA are getting their arses kicked, Swat has been taken back, operations in Orkazai agency started few weeks ago. PA is after them, the local tribes are against them too, public has no sympathy left for them and PA & ISI have no intention of entertaining them.

I doubt they will be able to regroup now. Their time has come to an end. Where the hell will they regroup? Unless India give them shelter, i doubt they will regroup.

^^ Regroup where? In Lahore or outside Parliament? LOL

They are all scattered around now, their havens have been taken away from them. Their leaders are hiding, fighters left in SWA are getting their arses kicked, Swat has been taken back, operations in Orkazai agency started few weeks ago. PA is after them, the local tribes are against them too, public has no sympathy left for them and PA & ISI have no intention of entertaining them.

I doubt they will be able to regroup now. Their time has come to an end. Where the hell will they regroup? Unless India give them shelter, i doubt they will regroup.

Why draging India in to this yaar?? I was asking a doubt..because if they able to regroup it will be harder for your Army to fight against them..and about the bolded part..Is this going on even after the Army declared no offensive against the militants?

The timing of this announcement is meaningful; It came after the highly inflammatory comments made by Mr. Gates while on his visit to India. Message from Mr. Gates was loud and clear, “Obey us or we will unleash India on you”. This obviously was not the song Pakistani Generals wanted to hear, so they retaliated with this latest announcement. In my opinion, there is clearly no immediate danger of the re-grouping of the TTP as they have pretty much lost their grounds in Sawat and South Waziristan. Correct me if I am wrong, but TTP does not exist in North Waziristan, which is more of a concern for the occupation forces than for the Pakistani forces. However, TTP or no TTP, the GoP must restore its writ in North Waziristan as well as it is as much the part of Pakistan as the rest of the country. Not doing fresh operation does not mean that PA is going to vacate the area it has already secured. The PA needs time to settle down things and bring them back to normal before it moves towards the North. On the other hand, this could also be a tactic, to extract more money and military support (Pakistani ‘Do More’) from the US, time will tell.

One thing I did not like about this announcement was, it had to come from the GoP not from the PA. Statements like this reinforce the impression that it is the Army not the GoP that's in control in Pakistan.

Last edited:
The timing of this announcement is meaningful; It came after the highly inflammatory comments made by Mr. Gates while on his visit to India. Message from Mr. Gates was loud and clear, “Obey us or we will unleash India on you”. This obviously was not the song Pakistani Generals wanted to hear, so they retaliated with this latest announcement. In my opinion, there is clearly no immediate danger of the re-grouping of the TTP as they have pretty much lost their grounds in Sawat and South Waziristan. Correct me if I am wrong, but TTP does not exist in North Waziristan, which is more of a concern for the occupation forces than for the Pakistani forces. However, TTP or no TTP, the GoP must restore its writ in North Waziristan as well as it is as much the part of Pakistan as the rest of the country. Not doing fresh operation does not mean that PA is going to vacate the area it has already secured. The PA needs time to settle down things and bring them back to normal before it moves towards the North. On the other hand, this could also be a tactic, to extract more money and military support (Pakistani ‘Do More’) from the US, time will tell.

One thing I did not like about this announcement was, it had to come from the GoP not from the PA. Statements like this reinforce the impression that it is the Army not the GoP that's in control in Pakistan.

To add to the possible reasons for making a clear statement of waiting for six months to a year before new operations (ostensibly referring to a NW operation), the US now owes Pakistan close to two billion dollars ($1.6 billion is one figure I have) under the agreement to reimburse WoT expenses. I believe $1 billion of that has in fact been pending from 2007, and all this money has been accounted for under the new more stringent US accounting conditions.

Additionally, Pakistan could also be waiting to see if the F-16's and 500 BVR's (AIM 120) actually get delivered this time instead of the US ripping us off again.

To add to the possible reasons for making a clear statement of waiting for six months to a year before new operations (ostensibly referring to a NW operation), the US now owes Pakistan close to two billion dollars under the agreement to reimburse WoT expenses. I believe $1 billion of that has in fact been pending from 2007, and all this money has been accounted for under the new more stringent US accounting conditions.

Additionally, Pakistan could also be waiting to see if the F-16's and 500 BVR's (AIM 120) actually get delivered this time instead of the US ripping us off again.
Yes, indeed; what you are saying makes lots of sense.

8421e3c14e57a9927b7cfcfd5bcc1b29.jpg

1034f2ebf48a24556a22c0dcdfb86c48.gif

But Taimi is there a risk of these people regroup and better prepared for the next offensive of the Army ?? This break will be helpfull for TTP to regroup itself also..

Naa, First they will never regroup in Pak second if they regroup on same other place like Afghanistan they will never attempt in Pak.......coz now they know that the Pakistan nation and Army standing shoulder to shoulder against them.

Where ever they will try to regroup, PA is gonna be there too. That we saw in the Orakzai & Kurram Agencies, where they started to gather and PA took action there and slowly progressing and making sure they are contained for the time being.

Now after their safe heaven gone, the only area left with them to regroup is the Wazir tribe area or by going into Afghanistan. Wazir may give some of them protection but won't allow them to attack from their places, as if they do, then they become liable for action by PA. And if they go to Afghanistan, still they won't be much of a problem as it will restrict their capability to strike PA and inland of Pakistan.

And the no new offensive doesn't means PA is gonna sit and watch, they are now going to rather have been already doing consolidation of the areas captured, and then moving to new places, thus destroying the sanctuaries of the TTP, capturing their ammo and equipment and making sure the militants have less and less area left to move around. It will slowly break their back. They are already broken up as no enemy would like to lose their sanctuary, thus making them vulnerable to many factors.

With better surveillance capability and induction of armed drones, the situation can improve more, as it will restrict their movement and will suffer casualties too.

^^^what is important is the 'timing' of the statement by DG-ISPR. IMO, it is pressure tactics (being used by both sides BTW) to get each other to do more. on the PA side, it wants the US to pay-up the USD 2 Bill in CSF funds held up by the US GAO offices for the last almost 2 years. this money has been spent, and the army coffers need replinishment. only then new 'ops' can be planned and put into effect.

further the mil-aid 'in-the-pipeline' needs to be put on the fast track (it has improved considerably) but helos are in real short supply - both lift and attack variety.

OTOH, the army also needs to 'consolidate' its positions in the SWA / Orakzai area so that there is no serious TTP 'backlash'.

I think in general 'ops' will continue as there is no going back but the yanks need to 'quicken' the pace of their support.

they cannot 'regroup' like in the past as they (TTP) have lost every single area in their control - at best they are rag-tag groups with personal firearms. all their heavy weapons and ammo dumps have either been captured, destroyed or being used against them. they will / can resort to hit-and-run / IED planting / suicide attacks, however they will fail

nice to hear.dair aay but drust aay.majbutri k tayht dia ya jaisay be dia.chalo shuker hy yar koi acha byan b aaya for the betterment of people.

-self delete--

How are they gonna get time as PA is after their arses and on daily basis would be launching search operations in different areas and expand its forces to new locations. And where are they gonna regroup once their majority of towns, rather all the important towns and road network retaken by PA. A lot of their ammo and supplies captured, non stop action would be there, plus where are they gonna regroup ???

I don't see a location for the time being in Pakistan. Few places are there but all are being attacked and they are being contained.

Do you have a place in your mind where you can see a possible regrouping ???

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom