What's new

Post your question regarding Arjun Mk2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GORKHALI

Reaction score
All right guys,I twitted Saurav Jha from Geek at large to take an interview of CVRDE chief regarding Arjun Mk2 development.He said he will take soon but if we can send him a compilation list of question and suggestion on his email id that would be better for him. So please drop your questions in precise and to the point manner .
Thanks @Omega007

Please tag who ever you think is best person to put suggestions and questions.

Just one question, why is it so damned expensive?

Or maybe ask it as:
1) How much does it cost?
2) If it costs more than 6 million dollars per tank, why is it so expensive?
3) How many does he think will eventually be ordered? If less than 500, why so few?

Or maybe ask it as:
1) How much does it cost?
2) If it costs more than 6 million dollars per tank, why is it so expensive?
3) How many does he think will eventually be ordered? If less than 500, why so few?

Most probably due to imported content being pretty high and there is no local production of engine

Most probably due to imported content being pretty high and there is no local production of engine
Even if the whole damn tank is imported, it should not cost so much. Going by the order placed recently, each tank costs $ 9.32 million. (6600 crore rupees for 118 tanks.) The guinness world record for the most expensive tank is $8.5 million, for S Korea's K2 Black Panther:

Most expensive tank

With material and labour costs being much lower in India, how on earth did they manage to break into the guinness book for the most expensive tank? This is just ludicrous.

Does it blend?
Be careful, or I shall start with jokes about its main gun in an erect position and what it looks like in that state.;)

Even if the whole damn tank is imported, it should not cost so much. Going by the order placed recently, each tank costs $ 9.32 million. (6600 crore rupees for 118 tanks.) The guinness world record for the most expensive tank is $8.5 million, for S Korea's K2 Black Panther:

Most expensive tank

With material and labour costs being much lower in India, how on earth did they manage to break into the guinness book for the most expensive tank? This is just ludicrous.

Be careful, or I shall start with jokes about its main gun in an erect position and what it looks like in that state.;)

Maybe drdo corruption,who knows.
It certainly is not even among top 5 tanks of the world in anything rather than being in terms of cost:rofl:

Maybe drdo corruption,who knows.
It certainly is not even among top 5 tanks of the world in anything rather than being in terms of cost:rofl:

Corruption cannot increase the price of the product, just that some commission needs to be made to get a deal. In this case the company doesn't have to bribe anybody to clinch the deal - the makers and buyers are all the GoI, ultimately. If you are suggesting that DRDO officials are siphoning off money into their own accounts, that is very unlikely, for such large amounts. Accounts will be reviewed, you know.

I'm afraid we have to accept the bitter conclusion, that it is a failed project, if these numbers are true. There is no way we can maintain two top end MBTs, with one of them so expensive. The usual practice is to have one top end, expensive MBT and a much larger number of cheaper, lighter tanks. A high-low mix. So Russia has T-90s and T-72s, with the 72s intended as the cheap, numerous one. India has already purchased thousands of T-90s, so what we needed was a cheaper and smaller tank to replace the thousands of T-72s we have. Instead, we are making a tank that is a helluva lot more expensive than the T-90. Russia herself abandoned the development of T-95 (I think) because they did not want to maintain two types of MBTs.

So @GORKHALI, please ask them if this is indeed the price. My hope is that maybe this price also includes other stuff, like weapons and maintenance depots. If not, this is a shocker.

Corruption cannot increase the price of the product, just that some commission needs to be made to get a deal. In this case the company doesn't have to bribe anybody to clinch the deal - the makers and buyers are all the GoI, ultimately. If you are suggesting that DRDO officials are siphoning off money into their own accounts, that is very unlikely, for such large amounts. Accounts will be reviewed, you know.

I'm afraid we have to accept the bitter conclusion, that it is a failed project, if these numbers are true. There is no way we can maintain two top end MBTs, with one of them so expensive. The usual practice is to have one top end, expensive MBT and a much larger number of cheaper, lighter tanks. A high-low mix. So Russia has T-90s and T-72s, with the 72s intended as the cheap, numerous one. India has already purchased thousands of T-90s, so what we needed was a cheaper and smaller tank to replace the thousands of T-72s we have. Instead, we are making a tank that is a helluva lot more expensive than the T-90. Russia herself abandoned the development of T-95 (I think) because they did not want to maintain two types of MBTs.

So @GORKHALI, please ask them if this is indeed the price. My hope is that maybe this price also includes other stuff, like weapons and maintenance depots. If not, this is a shocker.

It indeed is not impressive by any margin but certainly not a failed endeavour.
As i have said a million times we need privatisation or nothing will work

Simple answer- high-end equipment onboard and such limited orders being placed (118 for Mk.2) so far so not able to take advantage of Economies of Scale, the DRDO have stated if the IA orders more than 500-600 the unit price will fall "considerably"

Anyway @GORKHALI could you ask:

- what the DRDO is projecting as the total demand for Arjuns (Mk.1 and 2)?

- The progress on the BLT (Bridge laying tank) version of the Arjun?

- Any plans to revive the Bhim SPG now that Denal has been un-blacklisted?

-Any plans to install a "hard kill" APS?

-What plans there are to replace that bulky OFB RCWS on the Mk.2?

-When will the first Mk.2 be in service?

-What is the FMBT looking likely to be - a Mk.3 version of the Arjun or a entirely new design?

Even if the whole damn tank is imported, it should not cost so much. Going by the order placed recently, each tank costs $ 9.32 million. (6600 crore rupees for 118 tanks.)
That price is not the per unit price but does include training (including the purchase of full mission simulators) spares and such.

1.)

Can we have some clarity on what this thing is one the right side?

HJWt042.jpg

GNh96c8.jpg

2.)

Why didnt they move the commander sight up like with most tanks. They did this with an old prototype.

Early+Arjun+Mk1+Prototype.JPG

1.)

Can we have some clarity on what this thing is one the right side?

HJWt042.jpg

GNh96c8.jpg

2.)

Why didnt they move the commander sight up like with most tanks. They did this with an old prototype.

Early+Arjun+Mk1+Prototype.JPG

I think they are laser warning system or some shyte like that.
There is a video of cvrde guy explaining that on youtube,,find it

Were these questions impossible to be asked in the sticky thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom