What's new

Save Taliban or save Pakistan

i saw a vedio of Pakistani talk show where the guest said that untill few years before there were donation boxes of all major terrorist groups on very corner of Pakistan and even other members agreed

I just want an honest answer from normal Pakistanis out here that is it true or upto what extent???:undecided:

I'll post the link if i'll see the vedio again...

i saw a vedio of Pakistani talk show where the guest said that untill few years before there were donation boxes of all major terrorist groups on very corner of Pakistan and even other members agreed

I just want an honest answer from normal Pakistanis out here that is it true or upto what extent???:undecided:

I'll post the link if i'll see the vedio again...

Before they were banned by Pervez Musharraf, they often went about collecting alms.

The revolution always has a defining ideology, Pakistan was formed but with the persistence of few and political motivation, like vote bank politics being played in India.

The ideology was missing not because he died prematurely but that his ideology was not shared among common people, who descended into chaos... Not knowing what to do..

Pakistan was divided before the ideology could grow roots, or maybe the ideology was not thought out well.. India knew for a country an untested system could create havoc...

Yup thats where there are two opinions out there ! One is yours that we didn't know what we were in for & that for us Pakistan only meant something in a 'negative' connotation i.e get divorced from India. Period. For others that were from that time & many of us who listened to them, studied their life & life's work & tried to make sense of it all - Pakistan was so much more; an unfinished revolution if you will. What it stood for...what it was is something that is learned only by listening to the reminiscing of informed octogenarians or the sitting through hours at a stretch in a library somewhere trying to sift through all the biased bull written by either side or sensationalist crap by many up & coming so-called 'intellectuals' who'd give an outrageous twist to the story just to be relevant ! Unfortunately we're not an academic nation by any stretch of the imagination & by far the most of us are not too fond of reading ! We get either played by the Islamists on one side or the Secularists on the other; both vying for a Pakistan which, in my ever so humble opinion, is both self-contradictory & born out of an extrapolation of the Quaid's speeches beyond the realm of reason.

Khair...no matter ! We're still here...maybe my sons & daughters in decades to come will figure it out for I see my generation as both intellectually bankrupt & patriotically lacking.

@ Niaz - I was born in '90; I didn't see the Zia era, the Bhutto era, the Ayub era...heck I was even too little during Benazir & Nawaz's two stints. '71 or '65 or even Kargil weren't my mess ! The hell have the people of your generation & the generation after that been upto to have stood & done nothing whilst Pakistan went from 'heaven' as you call it, to the 'hell' its becoming ? Where were my parents, my grandparents ? Where were their siblings & colleagues ? Where the heck were you guys ? How is it that those that won us Pakistan against insurmountable odds in '47 & continued with the dream through much of its infancy bowed out with such anonymity & whats worst the succeeding generation was so bereft with the required attributes or skill-set *something* to take the nation forward that we've been suffering from its compounded effects ever since !

I like the way you put it. Bravo.

OK. I am not from Niaz Gen, and I am too old to be your gen.

So call me the Gen B.

Gen A. Niaz

Gen C. You my dear jr. think tank

The question you ask from Gen A. should really be directed to both Gen A and Gen B of Pak.

OK, you have read my posts, so you know I go off into deep end. So I'll spare you from that "agony".

The simple answer to where Pakistan is and why it is?

"We stopped working" for our money. That's all.

See the generation that was around 1940s was in fact trained and raised during British raj. You can call the Raj whatever you want to. But they did instill the concept of duty, and discipline, and above all pant shirt (or pant suit if the weather allowed it).

So in the 40s and 50s and 60s, Pakistani urban elite of Lahore and Karachi wore pant shirt pant suits, and did their duty. Teachers taught, laborers labored, factory owners built factories, and bankers banked and protected money of their account holders.

This was all due to the concepts of duty, discipline, and honor instilled in us by our traditions and British rule.

While the pant suits worked to build the nation, Mullahs did what they do now. they wore shalwar kameez, issued fatwas and created anarchy. But the country moved on. our pant suites worked for Britishers first, then for Americans. FYI Our pant suit wearing bankers set up banks all the way to South America. We worked hard, we earned money for an honest day of work.

Then came my generation. The Gen. B. 70s and 80s was tumultuous time, but then which time is not tumultuous. you tell me.

We didn't realize this. Under the incorrect understanding of Iqbal and Faiz, we let go of pant suit, wore Mullah Shalwar. And guess what? our sense of duty was gone, Teachers no longer tought, they indoctrinated, laborers stopped laboring, factory owners got kicked out of their factories, and government took over banks and took money out of them to distribute among PPP commerades as if the money belong to the mai baap of the party and not the account holders.

Suddenly Islam was in vogue, and everyone wore Islamic dress. Suddenly there was no difference bettween Mullah the anarchist, and the city dwelling duty officer. They all were the same. Everyone in one line. Aik he suff may kharay ho ga-ay Mahmood and the one f'd by Mahmood. Everyone said Allaho Akbar. No one had sense of duty. You do what your uniform does. Pant suits meant work in modern office, shalwar meant sleep on dirt and in dark hujra.

And guess what? the country went to the dog $hit. We all now sleep in darkened hujras, we all shout load shedding hai hai. But we refuse to realize that shalwar kameez is in our head, and until we get rid of it, we will not see the light.

So my dear jr. think tank from Gen C, if you want to change Pakistan, then do not do what Gen B did. Find Gen B and kill them including me.

And then faithfully copy the Gen. A. Wear pant suit, burn down the shalwar kameez (or wear only as night suit) and resurrect sense of duty and work ethic as it was prevalent in Gen A as taught by Goras and then Americans.

And once you put on the pinstriped suit, do not allow Shalwar Kameez Mullahs in your offices and your factories and your banks. Why because they belong to the mosques only. keep your office and your factory religion-$hit free and Communist-$hit free, but filled with sense of duty, sense of honor, and sense of commitment.

And soon you will see Pakistan will be for you the Gen C and D, what it used to be for Gen. A. the Niaz generation.

There is hope afterall. Don't you think?

peace to you. peace to all.

Yup thats where there are two opinions out there ! One is yours that we didn't know what we were in for & that for us Pakistan only meant something in a 'negative' connotation i.e get divorced from India. Period. For others that were from that time & many of us who listened to them, studied their life & life's work & tried to make sense of it all - Pakistan was so much more; an unfinished revolution if you will. What it stood for...what it was is something that is learned only by listening to the reminiscing of informed octogenarians or the sitting through hours at a stretch in a library somewhere trying to sift through all the biased bull written by either side or sensationalist crap by many up & coming so-called 'intellectuals' who'd give an outrageous twist to the story just to be relevant ! Unfortunately we're not an academic nation by any stretch of the imagination & by far the most of us are not too fond of reading ! We get either played by the Islamists on one side or the Secularists on the other; both vying for a Pakistan which, in my ever so humble opinion, is both self-contradictory & born out of an extrapolation of the Quaid's speeches beyond the realm of reason.

Khair...no matter ! We're still here...maybe my sons & daughters in decades to come will figure it out for I see my generation as both intellectually bankrupt & patriotically lacking.

I would say that a ideology if present to create a system for a new country does need solid foundations, does need written material in volumes.. It needs to be definitive in most of the practical situations seen in the history, cause it is meant to work a country and its people. What the original proponents thought privately and gave away in speeches hardly looks a strong foundations.. However I might be wrong in this case, Quran has so many interpretations but the general thought is clear, things like those had to be in place but were not.

With people like you in a nation, better days are lurking just around the corner...!! :tup:
Never give up on your mother land, work hard for its betterment...!! :bounce:
Like is said in geeta : Karmanye Vadhikaraste, Ma phaleshou kada chana - You have the right to perform your actions, but you are not entitled to the fruits of the actions...

I would say that a ideology if present to create a system for a new country does need solid foundations, does need written material in volumes.. It needs to be definitive in most of the practical situations seen in the history, cause it is meant to work a country and its people. What the original proponents thought privately and gave away in speeches hardly looks a strong foundations.. However I might be wrong in this case, Quran has so many interpretations but the general thought is clear, things like those had to be in place but were not.

Yes they weren't hence why I called it, in my humble opinion, an 'unfinished revolution' ! A new nation was created in-line with our aspirations & it endured ! What it needed to be 'exceptional' was a game-plan for the next round; we didn't have that ! And not because we were clueless to what we really wanted but because we were so preoccupied with 'creating the country bit', managing the 'fallout' of the Partition & trying ever so hard to ensure that Pakistan didn't die a premature death.

So call me the Gen B.

Gen A. Niaz

The question you ask from Gen A. should really be directed to both Gen A and Gen B of Pak.

OK, you have read my posts, so you know I go off into deep end. So I'll spare you from that "agony".

See the generation that was around 1940s was in fact trained and raised during British raj. You can call the Raj whatever you want to. But they did instill the concept of duty, and discipline, and above all pant shirt (or pant suit if the weather allowed it).

So in the 40s and 50s and 60s, Pakistani urban elite of Lahore and Karachi wore pant shirt pant suits, and did their duty. Teachers taught, laborers labored, factory owners built factories, and bankers banked and protected money of their account holders.

This was all due to the concepts of duty, discipline, and honor instilled in us by our traditions and British rule.

While the pant suits worked to build the nation, Mullahs did what they do now. they wore shalwar kameez, issued fatwas and created anarchy. But the country moved on. our pant suites worked for Britishers first, then for Americans. FYI Our pant suit wearing bankers set up banks all the way to South America. We worked hard, we earned money for an honest day of work.

Then came my generation. The Gen. B. 70s and 80s was tumultuous time, but then which time is not tumultuous. you tell me.

Please dont take it in the wrong way, but, My personal opinion is that Gen A, Or B Or for the matter C : No body did ever work properly...
The growth seen in Pakistan till the 70s was because of the siphoning of funds from the erstwhile east Pakistan..
As soon as that tap got closed in 1971; things have been going downwards..!!
Might not be 100% true; but it was a HUGE factor which many people(mostly Pakistanis) do not agree upon...

Please dont take it in the wrong way, but, My personal opinion is that Gen A, Or B Or for the matter C : No body did ever work properly...
The growth seen in Pakistan till the 70s was because of the siphoning of funds from the erstwhile east Pakistan..
As soon as that tap got closed in 1971; things have been going downwards..!!
Might not be 100% true; but it was a HUGE factor which many people(mostly Pakistanis) do not agree upon...

Your underlined bolded part was supposed to be a link to some source?

Without a source, it is just a political statement.

Don't take me wrong please. We goofed up in E. Pakistan, we mismanaged it big time, But the accusation of "siphoning funds" is overblown.

Sh. Mujeeb used to say the same thing. That Islamabad roads emit smell of jute.

That was all a ploy. Roads do not emit smell of jute, they emit smell of tar and grease and oil dripping from cars and motorbikes and rickshaws. The roads smell of hose-$hite dropped by the tongas.

When E. Pakistan got independence, Bengalis realized that Mujeeb fed them horse-$hite, there was no siphoning off funds. Jute was used to make bags but it was no petroleum,.

So they the Bengalis killed Mujeeb, his whole family, his gran kids, uncles, and aunts. Only one daughter survived. because she was out of the $hit place.

So please do not repeat Sh, Mujeeb's horse $hit, otherwise you too will be pooh poohed by those who have some knowledge of economic disparity between East and West Pak.

As I said, we should have better managed our relations with Bengali brothers. We didn't and we paid the price. But accusing us for using petrol aka jute from East Pakistan is far from the truth. Just see the budget allocations from 1947 to 1971 for a proof.

My hats off to B Desh. They are developing at a great rate compared to both Pakistan and India.

The reason is that when you start from zero, then the rate of change is almost infinite. Hope you get this. As an Indian you should be good in maths (or am I just steretyping :lol:).

my brother which is Squadron Leader in air force told me 3 months ago that in Pakistan air force intelligence agencies have captured 64 persons in the link with Taliban and terrorist and all they are officers and soldiers

i second that a few arrest were made but dont know other details

@ Fauji - I like what your analogy represents; the suit with its discipline, dignity, a deep sense of work-ethic, civics & all the other good things that the Gora imbued us with ! However at the same time it represented something else too - A void ! Which is to say we were being 'Goras more than the Gora Sahib' himself & that when he left the hollowness of our own abilities, vision & strength of character was exposed. We were slaves & the Gora was the Master; we kicked the Gora out & wore his mantle before successive failures realized that those who've served for generations are ill-suited to lead. We needed a Leader par excellence & we found one in a barrister from Bombay named Muhammad Ali Jinnah. He led us through thick & thin & got us what we & he believed would be in our best interest - Pakistan. Then came the time when the country that was born needed to be nurtured till it matures & yet Our Father died. We found ourselves at the mercy of that same mediocrity that had crippled us for generations before the Quaid & has continued to do so generations after his death. Between Ayub Khan & Musharaf there hasn't been a single leader who could provide the guidance that Pakistan & Pakistanis needed to in a way 'grow up'...not even Bhutto could measure up to that which was required of such a leader.

And by guidance I don't mean spoon feeding the masses but rather the development of that one thing that if done right would keep the wheel going perpetually, namely - Institutions. Our institutions are by & large in shambles & have been fighting a loosing battle since the early days of Pakistan where the Gora was replaced by his clerk & yet neither the skill-set nor the vision was exchanged as well. This would have changed if the Political Leadership of the country had invested heavily into our own human resource early on so that 15-20 years from that day the next generation of Pakistanis would both be men & women of vision & competence that a country like Pakistan deserves to take it forward. Do that once & the cycle will continue in perpetuity !

P.S I like wearing the Shalwar Kameez ! :angry:

Your underlined bolded part was supposed to be a link to some source?

Without a source, it is just a political statement.

Don't take me wrong please. We goofed up in E. Pakistan, we mismanaged it big time, But the accusation of "siphoning funds" is overblown.

Sh. Mujeeb used to say the same thing. That Islamabad roads emit smell of jute.

That was all a ploy. Roads do not emit smell of jute, they emit smell of tar and grease and oil dripping from cars and motorbikes and rickshaws. The roads smell of hose-$hite dropped by the tongas.

When E. Pakistan got independence, Bengalis realized that Mujeeb fed them horse-$hite, there was no siphoning off funds. Jute was used to make bags but it was no petroleum,.

So they the Bengalis killed Mujeeb, his whole family, his gran kids, uncles, and aunts. Only one daughter survived. because she was out of the $hit place.

So please do not repeat Sh, Mujeeb's horse $hit, otherwise you too will be pooh poohed by those who have some knowledge of economic disparity between East and West Pak.

As I said, we should have better managed our relations with Bengali brothers. We didn't and we paid the price. But accusing us for using petrol aka jute from East Pakistan is far from the truth. Just see the budget allocations from 1947 to 1971 for a proof.

My hats off to B Desh. They are developing at a great rate compared to both Pakistan and India.

The reason is that when you start from zero, then the rate of change is almost infinite. Hope you get this. As an Indian you should be good in maths (or am I just steretyping :lol:).

As I said earlier its my personal opinion based on articles I have seen and read "somewhere/sometime"...

These are few of the articles I could find after a superficial search on google:

Virtual Bangladesh : History : Economic Exploitation

Bangladesh War of Independence - New World Encyclopedia

From East Pakistan to Bangladesh | Minto Park - A new Pakistani blog

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

And as I have said before : It might not be a 100% correct(Pakistan exploiting E.Pakistan economically); but it is not that insignificant that it can be overlooked so easily..

PS : I am a medical man; was good at math in my school days though..!! :cheers:

@ Niaz - I was born in '90; I didn't see the Zia era, the Bhutto era, the Ayub era...heck I was even too little during Benazir & Nawaz's two stints. '71 or '65 or even Kargil weren't my mess ! The hell have the people of your generation & the generation after that been upto to have stood & done nothing whilst Pakistan went from 'heaven' as you call it, to the 'hell' its becoming ? Where were my parents, my grandparents ? Where were their siblings & colleagues ? Where the heck were you guys ? How is it that those that won us Pakistan against insurmountable odds in '47 & continued with the dream through much of its infancy bowed out with such anonymity & whats worst the succeeding generation was so bereft with the required attributes or skill-set *something* to take the nation forward that we've been suffering from its compounded effects ever since !

Honourable Armstrong,

The reason being that most of us had a hidden soft corner for the Islamist parties. During student days, even I flirted with JI as one of my friends was an active member. I grew disenchanted after watching Jamiat Tulabaa tactics during Union elections.

The generation after my generation were young during the bigot Zia era (80's) when JI was at the height of her power. You see a lot of journalists of Urdu media today such as Abbas Ansari etc. all with JI links. Because during the 12 years of Zia rule, JI link guaranteed plum opprtunities.Thus that generation had even less opportunity to reverse the trend. Nevertheless during my time, scholars such as Allama Pervaiz were allowed to print their views which may not be possible today.

We were naïve and did not understand the hidden agenda of the right wing political parties; just as lot of young men are today. Problem is that nothing is black and white. Some arguments of the religious extremists remain as true today as these were in my youth; late 50’s and early 60s’. We needed statesmen who were not afraid to take tough decisions. Instead, even the brainiest of the politicians; ZA Bhutto; finally adopted policy of appeasement of the regressive forces which backfired resulting in ZAB’s hanging and the victory of the ultra-right and Pakistan society’s slow but steady march towards extremism.

Regret to admit that your post has an element of truth. Despite the extenuation circumstances such as Afghan invasion; the fact remains that my generation and the one after that failed to provide Pakistan State the leadership and the direction that she deserved.

My personal sentiments aside; we still don’t know what the silent majority really want. Religious parties only believe in brute force, on the other hand other parties are corrupt beyond redemption that gives ultra-right the opportunity to exploit this fact. Perhaps a truly fair and free general election is the only way forward.

1-- in my humble opinion, an 'unfinished revolution' ! A new nation was created in-line with our aspirations & it endured ! What it needed to be 'exceptional' was a game-plan for the next round; we didn't have that !

-- And not because we were clueless to what we really wanted

2-- but because we were so preoccupied with 'creating the country bit', managing the 'fallout' of the Partition & trying ever so hard to ensure that Pakistan didn't die a premature death.

I think #2 is the most important bullet so I'll address that first.

Absolutely, the task was herculean to say the least. Sardar Patel was heard saying "just wait for few years, poison of Pakistan will be out, and then Punjab, Sindh, and Frontier will be back in India".

Many Indians of Gen A were flabbergasted when Pakistan survived till the 50s. Why to blame Hindus, even Leaguers including Jinnah had hard time imagining that Pakistan will survive for more than 2 years.

However it survived wonderfully. Pakistani Gen A quickly established schools, colleges (that were really few in 1947), new factories (there were none in 1947). But most importantly the big farmers of Punjab had bumper wheat crops in 48, 49 and 50. Cotton did well too, and so did jute in E. Pakistan.

Watching the prosperity in Pakistan, Indians were frustrated. Kolkatta Assembly hall was filled with Shrieking voices of Hindu businessmen and politicians, who lost monopoly control on jute from East Pakistan. Pretty much daily they threatened that India will invade E. Pakistan and retake what was rightfully theirs.

Delhi babus were shouting even louder that India will shut down Punjab waters so that Pakistan can die quickly.

And they didn't just talk and threaten, they actually took those actions one way or the other. Punjab river system was blockated by Indians and militant organizations were funded in E. Pakistan. Thus both West and East were under the Hindu boots.

It is a pity to see that many Indians of Gen C (current generation) read their 5th grade sarkari school books, watch some idiot TV anchors and come on PDF and give lectures to Pakistanis.

I say that's pathetic. That's low even by Indian standards.

Anyways I don't want to rant about it. That time is gone.

Pakistani Gen A did wonderfully. They used duty, honor and discipline and got Pakistan out of doghouse. Our Gen A worked closely with the Americans, developed agriculture, industry, education, and banking sector. In no time we were the trend setters among the developing countries. People in Pakistan should be thankful to Americans for the wheat variety known as Mexi-Pak (developed in New Mexico) that brought about green revolution in Pakistan.

Indians on the other hand suffered under the Nehruvian socialism, poverty, and backwardness. Although to Nehru's credit, Indian Punjab also went through green revolution and a bit earlier than Pakistani Punjab.

So now I come to #1.

I beg to disagree. We didn't need a new game plan. We had one, established by our Gen A.

What we did was to ditch that game plan, and guess what we destroyed ourselves thanks to Gen B.

So if Gen C (current generation) wants to do something, they don't need to reinvent the wheel, just take the main principles of duty, discipline, and honor, and above all pant suit. They can bring back the prosperity just like the Gen A did.

peace to you, peace to all,

So call me the Gen B.

Gen A. Niaz

We didn't realize this. Under the incorrect understanding of Iqbal and Faiz, we let go of pant suit, wore Mullah Shalwar. And guess what? our sense of duty was gone, Teachers no longer tought, they indoctrinated, laborers stopped laboring, factory owners got kicked out of their factories, and government took over banks and took money out of them to distribute among PPP commerades as if the money belong to the mai baap of the party and not the account holders.

Suddenly Islam was in vogue, and everyone wore Islamic dress. Suddenly there was no difference bettween Mullah the anarchist, and the city dwelling duty officer. They all were the same. Everyone in one line. Aik he suff may kharay ho ga-ay Mahmood and the one f'd by Mahmood. Everyone said Allaho Akbar. No one had sense of duty. You do what your uniform does. Pant suits meant work in modern office, shalwar meant sleep on dirt and in dark hujra.

And guess what? the country went to the dog $hit. We all now sleep in darkened hujras, we all shout load shedding hai hai. But we refuse to realize that shalwar kameez is in our head, and until we get rid of it, we will not see the light.

So my dear jr. think tank from Gen C, if you want to change Pakistan, then do not do what Gen B did. Find Gen B and kill them including me.

And then faithfully copy the Gen. A. Wear pant suit, burn down the shalwar kameez (or wear only as night suit) and resurrect sense of duty and work ethic as it was prevalent in Gen A as taught by Goras and then Americans.

And once you put on the pinstriped suit, do not allow Shalwar Kameez Mullahs in your offices and your factories and your banks. Why because they belong to the mosques only. keep your office and your factory religion-$hit free and Communist-$hit free, but filled with sense of duty, sense of honor, and sense of commitment.

And soon you will see Pakistan will be for you the Gen C and D, what it used to be for Gen. A. the Niaz generation.

There is hope afterall. Don't you think?

I sincerely wish it was as simple as that. Changing the dress is easy but undoing the indoctrination of the past 30 years is not so. I admire the sentiment though.

Back
Top Bottom