What's new

T-80 and T-84 Main Battle Tanks Information pool

@PanzerKiel

AFAIK 1st AD deployed M-48s, did it transition to any other MBT before it got T-80 UDs?
I think that it may have been equipped with type 59s considering its importance and objectives. Also if 23 inf div had type59s in 71 then an armd div must have been equipped by 59s till 94.
However, 19 lancers which was later equipped with T80UDs was equipped with M48s in the Somali operation(1993)

Last edited:
A tank needs to be compared against facing an enemy tank to show that its still potent ? Surely there must be other factors too why 1st AD fields UDs.

Post 526, i replied when UDs replacement was suggested.

I don't feel the need to factor in other factors in a thread titled " information pool".

I don't feel the need to factor in other factors in a thread titled " information pool".
Thats alright.

In 1965, we saw 1st Armored Div facing Indian Infantry Div, while 6th Armored Div faced Indian 1st Armored Div., therefore, I feel a tank's role is much more diverse than just facing tanks. As for comparison or technological advancement, a tank's role can be viewed on not just the enemy forces it will face, but also on the terrain (desert and then urban areas) it will operate, the logistics line to support tanks advance, the formation (Strike or other, Div or Bde) under which its operating etc.

Curious question:

We got ACs in UDs? 🤔

I have heard both answers, Yes and No.

If someone got a Pic, it will be good.

@PanzerKiel @Dazzler
This reminds me that during Zia's tenure, a massive cube of frozen ice was granted to tank crews since there were no ACs in MBTs.

This reminds me that during Zia's tenure, a massive cube of frozen ice was granted to tank crews since there were no ACs in MBTs.
Signal corps as well. That's why during exercises every one especially infantrymen would make "sangat" with signalians.
I once met an infantry Lt Gen in CMH in a waiting room and he told me that they would envy the signal officers as they would have plenty of ice and usually had RKRs.

ACs should be among top priorities for UD upgradation. The crew comfort is a very critical variable of operational success, particularly in hot desert conditions. Otherwise, imagine your mind boiling within a metallic oven with 125mm gun and tracks.

VT-4 and AKs are better in this aspect; they got ACs.

In India, I guess T-90S (minus initial batches) and Arjun have ACs.
Haven't seen one on a UD. Not sure if they plan it for upgrade.
That trend is still there, both for armored regiments and MIBs.

ACs should be among top priorities for UD upgradation. The crew comfort is a very critical variable of operational success, particularly in hot desert conditions. Otherwise, imagine your mind boiling within a metallic oven with 125mm gun and tracks.

VT-4 and AKs are better in this aspect; they got ACs.

In India, I guess T-90S (minus initial batches) and Arjun have ACs.
Application likho proper format mein, PK forward karay ga Nowshera school ko, wahan se GHQ bhej dengay 😁

That trend is still there, both for armored regiments and MIBs.
BTW what's their utility, I mean how are they used? Do they put it in their kameez like Pathan truck drivers :D
Also isn't it difficult for tank crews to operate T80UDs in desert without AC. Do they have fans or something like that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom