What's new

T-80 and T-84 Main Battle Tanks Information pool

We should have bought the T-84 Oplot blueprints from Ukraine.

Now this Ukraine-Russian war will make that impossible.
We already received a lot of help from the Ukrainians for the Al-Khalid tank. Personally I think the next evolution of Al-Khalid should abandon a carousel autoloader in favor western style autoloaders like French and Japanese tanks use. Ukraine developed prototypes of western style autoloaders.....that may be worth asking about.

We already received a lot of help from the Ukrainians for the Al-Khalid tank. Personally I think the next evolution of Al-Khalid should abandon a carousel autoloader in favor western style autoloaders like French and Japanese tanks use. Ukraine developed prototypes of western style autoloaders.....that may be worth asking about.
True, but with this Russian-Ukrainian war going on, we don't know how much of the technology is in good condition.

At least there is China.

I believe Pakistan bought some VT-4s from China.

With the Russian-Ukrainian war I doubt Pakistan will buy anymore military stuff Ukraine.

We should work with China. That is just better,
Ukrainian defense industry has been on a steep decline since the early 2000s. We haven’t bought anything from them anyways, instead we’ve been having to localize things we bought from them because they’re unable to deliver spare parts even before the war. The war changed nothing for us.

We should have bought the T-84 Oplot blueprints from Ukraine.

Now this Ukraine-Russian war will make that impossible.
No thanks. I’ve said it before, the oplot is NOT a good tank. It is grossly underpowered, cannot fire modern ammo, has the sillouhete of a skyscraper and isn’t reliable. The only thing in its favor is armor protection. We should be very glad Pakistan stayed away from it and went the VT4 route. The VT4 will help the PA in more ways than one in the coming years.

Im not too sure that Ukraine would have been willing to sell their latest blueprints to Pakistan despite the relations. Also Ukraine could barely make 1 of those tanks. Do you think Pakistan would've faired better in manufacturing the tank?

On top of that, Pakistan not getting the Oplots could be a good thing. Remember, Allah is the best of planners.

@iLION12345_1

Your input would be appreciated
Thailand made the mistake of buying Oplot over VT4. They regretted it so much they ditched the order after only 1/3rd of the tanks were delivered and went for VT4 because not only was the tank unreliable, Ukraine just couldn’t deliver the tanks or their spares. If Pakistan ordered them, it would have been an order for over 400 tanks at the minimum. We’ve received hundreds of VT4s already, if we went with oplot we’d have about two dozen and then the order would have to be canceled due to the war.

Plus, regardless of VT4 or Oplot. The tank would have been made at HIT, but the parts need to come from the country of origin, with Ukraine we’d have shot ourselves in the foot. So clearly, Allah was the best planner in this case.

Last edited:
The next generation of Al-Khalid is not coming. Haider is the future. Al-Khalid might still receive incremental upgrades to the existing fleet that trickle down from the Haider, but no new production will take place for now. HIT will shift to Haider production.

China makes Bustle style autolaoders too for its new lighter tanks, but they’re not currently feasible for the larger MBTs. Though I don’t see why people keep complaining about them.

The next generation of Al-Khalid is not coming. Haider is the future. Al-Khalid might still receive incremental upgrades to the existing fleet that trickle down from the Haider, but no new production will take place for now. HIT will shift to Haider production.

China makes Bustle style autolaoders too for its new lighter tanks, but they’re not currently feasible for the larger MBTs. Though I don’t see why people keep complaining about them.
What exactly is Haider though?

So no more AK2? No more new AK1’s being added?

My main comment is that next generation of HIT tank production should replace the carousel autoloader with western style ones. The Russian style autoloaders are not safe if the tank is hit. This will require turret redesign. Based on what's going on in Ukraine......active protection systems are also a key advance for HIT. A 50 ton tank with western style autoloader and active protection is probably the global best in class tank and what HIT should strive for, IMO.

My main comment is that next generation of HIT tank production should replace the carousel autoloader with western style ones. The Russian style autoloaders are not safe if the tank is hit. This will require turret redesign. Based on what's going on in Ukraine......active protection systems are also a key advance for HIT. A 50 ton tank with western style autoloader and active protection is probably the global best in class tank and what HIT should strive for, IMO.
Now let’s come back to reality. The next generation of tank produced at HIT is the VT4.
Of course we can wish for all those things but they’re not so easy to accomplish as said.
HIT doesn’t have the money, manpower or expertise to design and produce its own tanks. HIT is reliant on Chinese designs that it produces locally, and China isn’t making such a tank either.

Even China has only recently gotten into modern APS systems and they’re not battle proven yet, so what chance do we have?

Lastly, the Caroursel autoloader isn’t the main problem. You hit a tank with an autolaoder in the bustle and it’ll go up too. It’s about protecting the ammo and isolating the crew, wherever they’re located. It might be smarter to design a system that can protect the carousel better?

carousel autoloader is least of AK's worries, we need to move on and work on a new design

Ukrainian defense industry has been on a steep decline since the early 2000s. We haven’t bought anything from them anyways, instead we’ve been having to localize things we bought from them because they’re unable to deliver spare parts even before the war. The war changed nothing for us.

No thanks. I’ve said it before, the oplot is NOT a good tank. It is grossly underpowered, cannot fire modern ammo, has the sillouhete of a skyscraper and isn’t reliable. The only thing in its favor is armor protection. We should be very glad Pakistan stayed away from it and went the VT4 route. The VT4 will help the PA in more ways than one in the coming years.

Thailand made the mistake of buying Oplot over VT4. They regretted it so much they ditched the order after only 1/3rd of the tanks were delivered and went for VT4 because not only was the tank unreliable, Ukraine just couldn’t deliver the tanks or their spares. If Pakistan ordered them, it would have been an order for over 400 tanks at the minimum. We’ve received hundreds of VT4s already, if we went with oplot we’d have about two dozen and then the order would have to be canceled due to the war.

Plus, regardless of VT4 or Oplot. The tank would have been made at HIT, but the parts need to come from the country of origin, with Ukraine we’d have shot ourselves in the foot. So clearly, Allah was the best planner in this case.
Thanks for your input.

carousel autoloader is least of AK's worries, we need to move on and work on a new design
The VT-4 has the same basic design as the AK series with marginal improvements. Of course a new design is the best way forward, but it’s not possible with the current funding, supply and logistical constraints. The VT-4 is the best option for the PA and HIT currently, especially if they can get a Top-attack protection capable hard kill APS for it.

HIT will shift to Haider production.
Will AK production line be shifted to VT4? Also will there be an extension of HIT to produce more VT4s or the production capacity will remain 50 as was in the case of AK?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom