What's new

Taliban militants behead 2 Pakistani soldiers

Condolences about the loss were promptly conveyed after the Salala incident. A formal apology for an accident would not be appropriate.

that is your own opinion, Cheng.

with all due respect, it's very easy for you to say that...and to overlook that this is an emotional issue as well.

and while i always say don't succumb to emotion, you simply can't be ''un-moved'' when 24 soldiers are killed in a reckless and totally uncalled for military action.

if a formal apology would not be appropriate, then neither would unhindered and unselective cooperation from the Pakistani side; and most certainly, ''threats'' and ''stern warnings of what's to come'' certainly wont get those supply routes open which they are desperately seeking.

Unlike before, they are picking a bone with the parliament of Pakistan and its deliberations. Not a productive move on their part.

how curious that you think a formal apology ''would not be appropriate''

that is your own opinion, Cheng.

with all due respect, it's very easy for you to say that...and to overlook that this is an emotional issue as well.

and while i always say don't succumb to emotion, you simply can't be ''un-moved'' when 24 soldiers are killed in a reckless and totally uncalled for military action.

if a formal apology would not be appropriate, then neither would unhindered and unselective cooperation from the Pakistani side; and most certainly, ''threats'' and ''stern warnings of what's to come'' certainly wont get those supply routes open which they are desperately seeking.

Unlike before, they are picking a bone with the parliament of Pakistan and its deliberations. Not a productive move on their part.

how curious that you think a formal apology ''would not be appropriate''

Overly emotional and knee jerk responses have no role to play where international relations are concerned. The apology was rendered moot when it was established that no individual or group was culpable on either side since the causes were related to procedural flaws, which have since been removed or reduced as much as is possible in a war zone.

The best way to pay homage to those lost would be ensure that further incidents do not happen by improving the situation all around. Blocking supply routes surely is no way to improve the situation.

Overly emotional and knee jerk responses have no role to play where international relations are concerned. The apology was rendered moot when it was established that no individual or group was culpable on either side

off-topic --

but when israeli commandos raided the mavi marmara and used lethal force on protestors/activists, a ''knee jerk'' move on Turkiye's part to recall their ambassador and take other steps ''had no role to play'' ?

Cheng, my problem with your posts is that you seem to encourage a learned ''defeatedness'' attitude. I would hate to be in a situation where I saw you being assaulted and you just stood there while being disrespected.

Would you pick up your assailtant's baseball cap (which fell of his head during the embroglio) and hand it back to him? Hell, you'll sharpen his hatchet and hand it back to him as well?

think like a man and have a sense of pride, honour and nationalism for God's sakes....Your friends at PDF will help you to ensure that you get over this learned defeatedness approach.

since the causes were related to procedural flaws, which have since been removed or reduced as much as is possible in a war zone.

i'd be curious to get your input/expansion on this

The best way to pay homage to those lost would be ensure that further incidents do not happen by improving the situation all around. Blocking supply routes surely is no way to improve the situation.

the supply routes have been blocked for the past 6 months and they will be blocked permanently unless a formal apology is issued, and the recommendations debated by the Parliamentary Review are heeded to - or at least reviewed professionally by both sides until a solid agreement is reached

until that time, forget about supply routes......at least from Pakistan side

alternatives do exist though and I'd encourage NATO to exercise other options and avenues - if they can find them and fully utilize them

Overly emotional and knee jerk responses have no role to play where international relations are concerned. The apology was rendered moot when it was established that no individual or group was culpable on either side since the causes were related to procedural flaws, which have since been removed or reduced as much as is possible in a war zone.

It's too late.

It seems that you have lost a feel for a situation where people stop using their brains to think, and use other organs.

The usual complaint against you is that you are too negative minded, not positive enough, a defeatist, stuff like that. You are clearly out of tune with a situation where people believe that a boisterous, wholly unrealistic over-confidence is a suitable substitute for sitting down quietly and thinking things through.

Chuck it, please. You are clearly not going to convince them.

Cheng, my problem with your posts is that you seem to encourage a learned ''defeatedness'' attitude. I would hate to be in a situation where I saw you being assaulted and you just stood there while being disrespected.

Would you pick up your assailtant's baseball cap (which fell of his head during the embroglio) and hand it back to him? Hell, you'll sharpen his hatchet and hand it back to him as well?

think like a man and have a sense of pride, honour and nationalism for God's sakes....Your friends at PDF will help you to ensure that you get over this learned defeatedness approach.

Concepts of defense on an individual basis and on a national basis cannot be considered analogous, but let me give an example with what you say: I would take all the disrespect my assailant would dish out and then some if I knew that by delaying and engaging him/her in conversation, my family was able to get away unharmed. I would dust off his cap well, and take a long time to sharpen his hatchet just to take up time enough for my family to go get help, if I knew that could happen.

i'd be curious to get your input/expansion on this

We can take this up elsewhere if you want.

the supply routes have been blocked for the past 6 months and they will be blocked permanently unless a formal apology is issued, and the recommendations debated by the Parliamentary Review are heeded to - or at least reviewed professionally by both sides until a solid agreement is reached

until that time, forget about supply routes......at least from Pakistan side

alternatives do exist though and I'd encourage NATO to exercise other options and avenues - if they can find them and fully utilize them

An apology, plus many of the PCNS recommendation are simply not likely to happen, so it is for Pakistan to see if it can withstand the repercussions of keeping the routes closed, and how that serves its larger national interests.

It's too late.

It seems that you have lost a feel for a situation where people stop using their brains to think, and use other organs.

The usual complaint against you is that you are too negative minded, not positive enough, a defeatist, stuff like that. You are clearly out of tune with a situation where people believe that a boisterous, wholly unrealistic over-confidence is a suitable substitute for sitting down quietly and thinking things through.

Chuck it, please. You are clearly not going to convince them.

Regardless of what labels are put on me, both you and I know that I am talking sense. How can I stop when it is the future of Pakistan that is at stake, even if they themselves don't see it? At least I know better and hence it is my responsibility to try and help as much as possible.

We can take this up elsewhere if you want.

PM me then

An apology, plus many of the PCNS recommendation are simply not likely to happen, so it is for Pakistan to see if it can withstand the repercussions of keeping the routes closed, and how that serves its larger national interests.

you're right and only time would tell....

alternatives (as far as course of action is concerned) are based on contingencies from the other side. It seems almost as if both sides may be at a point where minds are being made up; decisions being made.

lets see how things transpire - especially, oh, between now and 2014.

Regardless of what labels are put on me, both you and I know that I am talking sense. How can I stop when it is the future of Pakistan that is at stake, even if they themselves don't see it? At least I know better and hence it is my responsibility to try and help as much as possible.

Cheng ,

I think Joe was being sarcastic !

PM me then

Send me an email on the address you have.

you're right and only time would tell....

alternatives (as far as course of action is concerned) are based on contingencies from the other side. It seems almost as if both sides may be at a point where minds are being made up; decisions being made.

lets see how things transpire - especially, oh, between now and 2014.

Yes, I agree that the next two years are crucial for both sides.

Cheng ,

I think Joe was being sarcastic !

I know that he was, it is just that I find it very hard to remain objective given the apparent futility of my efforts. But giving up is not an option in trying to get some sense across. At least if the worst happens, I will know I tried my best till the very end to avert it.

I know that he was, it is just that I find it very hard to remain objective given the apparent futility of my efforts. But giving up is not an option in trying to get some sense across. At least if the worst happens, I will know I tired my best till the very end to avert it.

I understand ! And i also see that it's a uphill battle you are facing , its always is good to give it your best. Hopefully some other chaps who are surfing will get the point across and the influence will spread !

I understand ! And i also see that it's a uphill battle you are facing , its always is good to give it your best. Hopefully some other chaps who are surfing will get the point across and the influence will spread !

One can only hope.

So a failed operation resulted in soldiers being captured and ultimately killed?

well, what did everyone expect to happen, the TTP to feed the captured soldiers biryani and mangoes who were minutes ago on a mission to kill them?

Some people are shocked at just about anything in this world.

@ Topic: Many years ago I saw a video, Taliban beheading a russian soldier. It was really disturbing. The executioner was cutting the neck like my local Kasai cuts Goat's..

I had many sleepless nights.

To tell the truth , you shouldn't have watched that sort of video in the first place ...
The aftereffects can be worse - insomnia or at worst depression :bad:

These son of bitches aren't even human - let alone Muslims !
They smoke opium and think they are the God's chosen people and unaccountable for whatever they do ... Decades of radicalization is finally paying off ! ... What difference is there between Taliban and Satanists ? Both engage in ghastly rituals and heinous crimes ...

God Bless Zia ul Haq !

So a failed operation resulted in soldiers being captured and ultimately killed?

well, what did everyone expect to happen, the TTP to feed the captured soldiers biryani and mangoes who were minutes ago on a mission to kill them?

Some people are shocked at just about anything in this world.

The operation was succesful , the intended target was eliminated

A Taliban commander said the military raided two houses in Miramshah on Sunday night, killing a militant commander and several of his colleagues. The militants seized two soldiers during the raids, beheaded them and hung their heads in different parts of Miramshah, said the commander.

Taliban militants behead two Pakistani soldiers | DAWN.COM

Back
Top Bottom