What's new

Thousands rally in Lahore over blasphemy law

If they become strict with them, then these people would not go around doing this. Hang or execute mullahs who support terrorism/taliban publicly, which will then send a message. The reason the are becoming more vocal is because the government is not doing anything.

trust me GoP might be very concerned, but if they press them, they will go underground and will become even more dangerous.

The blasphemy law serves no purpose but to create bad PR for Pakistan worldwide. This is exactly what the enemies of Pakistan want.

The Egypt situation is vastly different from this. Again there are people who dont support the law but they do not protest, which then makes the mullahs seem like the majority. Also the article has said that the these protests Lahore, Karachi, etc are by the SAME people.

Hope you understand why i gave the example of egypt, the intention was not comparing pakistan and egypt. I wanted to point out that if tens of thousands people come out in support of something, it means they have a solid suppoort base among the masses. The guys who are anti blasphemy law wont come and protest for 2 reasons: 1-they are not enough in numbers 2-Qadri have taught them a lesson, nobody will dare to protest against it.

The problem itself came when Pakistan was created. By serparating the Madrassah and education centres......you created a vacuum.......

The Mullah, Imam, Hafiz, Qari, Maulana, Mufti went in one direction and the Mr, Sir, Lord, Professor, Engineer, Doctor went on the otherside.....a clash was imminent as the cloud of confrontation was always there throughout Pakistan's history...........

An Iranian style educational system is required where the studies of Islam and other subjects is available to throw away these divides.........

People here moaning about these people isn't going to do anything....some of you are even sick enough to hope for suicide bombs to go off in the crowd......and you call yourself right. You have no right..........

You or your parents alone did not protest and demand for Pakistan, it was a joint call all made by Muslims, MUSLIMS......why, because we are Muslims.........

This gives the so called "extremists" every right to demand Islamic law.......if people don;t like that, then give them their part of Pakistan and live and let live........

Again, these people have every right to protest and express their democratic right and demand whatever law they see fit, if Parliament does not agree, then repeal or amend it.......

It's hopeless man, nobody bother to rally in condemnation of suicide bombers and terrorists, but huge rallies of 10s of thousands gather in every city every time in support of this law. Perhaps the anti blasphemy law guys leave this issue as it is because it is the common people who want this law to be in place, if they, the majority want it ,then there is no point of attempts to change it, let people go deep in religious fanaticism, suffer, suffer and suffer, eventually they themselves will say enough is enough, but this will probably take time, maybe generations.

To be fair, anti taliban protests have time and again carried out in Pakistan. e.g

Countrywide rallies against Data Darbar bombing – The Express Tribune

Hope you understand why i gave the example of egypt, the intention was not comparing pakistan and egypt. I wanted to point out that if tens of thousands people come out in support of something, it means they have a solid suppoort base among the masses. The guys who are anti blasphemy law wont come and protest for 2 reasons: 1-they are not enough in numbers 2-Qadri have taught them a lesson, nobody will dare to protest against it.

I don't think you get my point. Virtually almost the SAME 40,000 people have been going around protesting around Pakistan. Yes 40,000 is a lot, but thats less then 1% of the population in Pakistan. So how is that a solid support among the masses? Again we don't know how much people actually do support it, are supporting it because they don't know better, or do not support it at all.

Again, these people have every right to protest and express their democratic right and demand whatever law they see fit, if Parliament does not agree, then repeal or amend it.......

Fair enough, do these people believe and respect other people's democratic rights?

The problem itself came when Pakistan was created. By serparating the Madrassah and education centres......you created a vacuum.......

The Mullah, Imam, Hafiz, Qari, Maulana, Mufti went in one direction and the Mr, Sir, Lord, Professor, Engineer, Doctor went on the otherside.....a clash was imminent as the cloud of confrontation was always there throughout Pakistan's history...........

An Iranian style educational system is required where the studies of Islam and other subjects is available to throw away these divides.........

People here moaning about these people isn't going to do anything....some of you are even sick enough to hope for suicide bombs to go off in the crowd......and you call yourself right. You have no right..........

You or your parents alone did not protest and demand for Pakistan, it was a joint call all made by Muslims, MUSLIMS......why, because we are Muslims.........

This gives the so called "extremists" every right to demand Islamic law.......if people don;t like that, then give them their part of Pakistan and live and let live........

Yes but it is NOT okay for people to go around saying that they will cause mayhem and go around killing people if the blasphemy law is amended or repealed or go around supporting a murderer who has killed someone just because they didnt agree with them, which what these mullahs are saying. They do have a right to voice their opinion but not violently

Fair enough, do these people believe and respect other people's democratic rights?

Why dont you go and ask them................

Do you believe in other peoples right.....if so, then they are expressing theirs, dont you think

Wait so these 40,000 people are FOR this law? Wtf? Protesting to keep it? I would think the opposite, because most of the Pakistanis here on this forum are against it. I guess you guys dont represent the majority?

I don't think you get my point. Virtually almost the SAME 40,000 people have been going around protesting around Pakistan. Yes 40,000 is a lot, but thats less then 1% of the population in Pakistan. So how is that a solid support among the masses? Again we don't know how much people actually do support it, are supporting it because they don't know better, or do not support it at all.

Come on Dance, you dont want every single pakistani to take part in protests and bring the whole country in a complete standstill!!! People might have jobs that wont be able to come and protest, women might look after kids, doctors looking after patients and patients unable to come out, and how about flood sufferes? displaced people?

Now tell me, can the anti blasphemy law guys gather one thousands in support of what they want? let alone 40000.

Why dont you go and ask them................

Do you believe in other peoples right.....if so, then they are expressing theirs, dont you think

I absolutely believe in their rights, but they dont believe in other people's rights, they shoot them on sight.

Not Just Jamatis, JuD Chief, Hafiz Saeed, Pervez Illahi, PML-N's leaders etc.. there were so many people there and honestly, people support this law, even a liberal like Musharraf had to say that the law should stay..

And, until, this is peaceful, no one should have any problem with it, why don't so called liberals come out and protest like that, like few people claim, lets see if they can gather some 10,000 people :)

Come on Dance, you dont want every single pakistani to take part in protests and bring the whole country in a complete standstill!!! People might have jobs that wont be able to come and protest, women might look after kids, doctors looking after patients and patients unable to come out, and how about flood sufferes? displaced people?

Now tell me, can the anti blasphemy law guys gather one thousands in support of what they want? let alone 40000.

I feel like I keep repeating myself over and over again. People do not go out in protest because they don't want to killed or they don't care. But that doesn't mean that just because they are not protesting they approve of the law. You are making a generalization that just because Jamat-ABCDEFG are going crazy, that majority of Pakistanis support the law. We can't say for SURE that the majority of Pakistanis support this law or this law has a "solid support among the masses"

This forum represents elites of pak, and hence have by and large liberal view about religion. But 40000 crowd is that of masses. It will be difficult for a democratic govt to ignore masses.

It is too early for a democratic govt to repeal the law.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom