What's new

Type-99G and Type-96G in the national day parade

seems members are short on fuse these days....
here is my attempt at saving this thread...
what is the armor protection on the type-99?
I have heard the T-90S with the Indian army is pretty awesome...let's be balanced in our replies i am sure we all love our countries...

I have heard the T-90S with the Indian army is pretty awesome...let's be balanced in our replies i am sure we all love our countries...

:smokin: how dare you compare your T-90 with Type-99?we built it our factories, our engineers are working on multiple upgrade projects. tell me what you can do with T-90? next time when we fight a war, are you going to send a team to russia and beg for more imports of such T-90?

or are you going to use arjun?

:lol::lol::lol:

The design of type 99 tank is influenced both by russian (chasis) and western tanks (turret). Russian tanks have still the small casted turret, which has less potential for upgrade. The engine technology comes from the leopard 2's MTU engine, which is simply a marine engine, but extremely reliable and fuel saving. It's composite armor and fire control system represent the highest level of chinese weapon industry. It is also equiped with the advanced communication system comparable with that on US tanks.
Besides, this tank was designed according to the moduling concept like the western tanks (easy in maintenance).

Guys, please stick to the topic. What is this nonsense about blowing each other apart in a nuclear war? If that wasn't enough, now you guys are comparing JF-17 with LCA in a thread about the Chinese Type-99 series tanks. Seriously, enough with the garbage! It's your responsibility as well to keep the forum clean. Don't get into off topic discussions and try not to get personal with members.

T-99G seems like a great tank and it should be because this tank will serve as one of the flag ships of the PLA. Having said that, IMHO, this tank is not the best tank in Asia.

All armed forces manufacture/ procure weapon platforms according to their strategic and tactical needs. T-99G will surely meet the requirements of PLA but it may not meet the requirement of say Indonesia or Japan.

as i know the japanese t90 is the type to meet the requirement of a city warfare scenario, it certainly cannot have mobility and speed compared to t99 of china which need to battle across the land with various geograhical conditions..it seems to have a bigger size than t99 of china ..it might be having top sophisticated system inside the turret but i doubt it can bear a significant armour to protect itself like t99 of china does...and you can check out the photos of japanese t90, which is often taken in a city store or residential area..
and most importantly the provision and manufacture of the tank engine, although both tanks have imported engines, but it seems that japanese lack the desperate will to localize and indigenize their imported engines as compared to the worrisome chinese researchers are desperately doing now. (maybe they dont have the worries of driving long way to counter landing enemies since their navy is quite strong enough to sink transporting sea units.) the ability to fully master the production tech of engine in immediate future will decide the strength of the determined ones.it is an inevitable trend if one must become strong in self reliance and further r and d..please correct me if i have any wrong in this regard about the military part....

"ztz99g2=m1a2 SEP"--comprehensive performance judgment by the American.

In the winter of 1997, 99 tank had run a test in the environment of low-temperature, It had withstanded 14 rounds 105mm tail fin stability APDS's attack, there is no one can pierce its former armor. and there is a test that the antitank missile attacks ztz99, You can find the video about the test on the youtube.

But I think,ztz99' armor protection is worse than the m1a2 that has been added the DU armor. it armor protection has reached 1300mm homogeneous steel armor! ztz99 just 1000~1200mm. (Russia t-90 only 800mm).

And someone think the ztz99' tank's comprehensive display system of battlefield information and its data link system is worse than the m1a2 sep tank.

The fire power of two tanks are equal, 99g tank can penetrate the 850~970mm homogeneous steel armor.(m1a2 can pierce 800~980mm) , Both of them can easily pierce the former armor of the T-90. This firepower ability were forced to be researched to deal with the invaded by ******** of Soviet tanks .

99tank has some unique innovative technology on board,such as Active Defense System,laser suppression sight system,IFF System.

unfortunately,ZTZ99 is the best tank in Asia so far, not one of.

Last edited:
as i know the japanese t90 is the type to meet the requirement of a city warfare scenario, it certainly cannot have mobility and speed compared to t99 of china which need to battle across the land with various geograhical conditions..it seems to have a bigger size than t99 of china ..it might be having top sophisticated system inside the turret but i doubt it can bear a significant armour to protect itself like t99 of china does...and you can check out the photos of japanese t90, which is often taken in a city store or residential area..
and most importantly the provision and manufacture of the tank engine, although both tanks have imported engines, but it seems that japanese lack the desperate will to localize and indigenize their imported engines as compared to the worrisome chinese researchers are desperately doing now. (maybe they dont have the worries of driving long way to counter landing enemies since their navy is quite strong enough to sink transporting sea units.) the ability to fully master the production tech of engine in immediate future will decide the strength of the determined ones.it is an inevitable trend if one must become strong in self reliance and further r and d..please correct me if i have any wrong in this regard about the military part....

The engine of type 99 tank is from domestic production. German MTU is its origin.

WR703/150HB series diesel engine develop from MTU MB870 V-type liquid cooling diesel engine.Output power to 1500 hp.(m1a2 1500 hp,Russian T-90 1000hp)Maximum road speed to reach 70~80 km/h(m1a2 65km/h,T-90 60km/h).0~ 32 km acceleration time is 12 seconds. max 450km.
Its Power/weight ratio is good, reach 28hp/ton(m1a2 21.6,T-90 21.8).

But ztz99 tank has its shortage,Time between overhauls of enginee is too short, and the transmission system and the suspended system are frail, that is because the industry capability. and its assistant firepower is limited by a fixed trestle, that prejudice its ability on the street battle.
I have heared that they improved its transmission system recently, the malfunction of the transmission system is rare now.

The engine of type 99 tank is from domestic production. German MTU is its origin.

well, i want to know whether it is relable or outperform or at par with its german counterpart engines. it is under german licence or you have absolutely no problem of manufacturing the engine yourselves??

can you please provide some link on its specifications and related info??
and your personal comment on your indigenious tank engine generally speaking please?? what direction is it going?? as recently i have heard a lot of inauthentic rumours about it, i am just an amateur mil fan:china::cheers::pakistan:...

Since you have obviously broken the heart of our good Chinese Brother, I suggest you elaborate your point and explain your opinion?
sorry bro but i am not here to satisfy some ones ego and sorry if i have hurt any sentiments.
As far as I am concerned, that is "one mean lookin machine"
If you are only talking about the looks then K2 clearly has a edge over Type-99
576fe853023bdb797e0968be9a000898.jpg
come on, even you have to agree on that.

WR703/150HB series diesel engine develop from MTU MB870 V-type liquid cooling diesel engine.Output power to 1500 hp.(m1a2 1500 hp,Russian T-90 1000hp)Maximum road speed to reach 70~80 km/h(m1a2 65km/h,T-90 60km/h).0~ 32 km acceleration time is 12 seconds. max 450km.
Its Power/weight ratio is good, reach 28hp/ton(m1a2 21.6,T-90 21.8).

But ztz99 tank has its shortage,Time between overhauls of enginee is too short, and the transmission system and the suspended system are frail, that is because the industry capability. and its assistant firepower is limited by a fixed trestle, that prejudice its ability on the street battle.
I have heared that they improved its transmission system recently, the malfunction of the transmission system is rare now.

Tomluter, you can just post any 25 or above long or short posts to become full member!!!! you are just like a military pro! amazing! how do you think possibly, when will the above problems you mentioned will be fixed?? need five or ten more years to do that?? can it be a showcase of chinese industrial capacity and tech level to the world soon in next decade??:victory:

:smokin: how dare you compare your T-90 with Type-99?we built it our factories, our engineers are working on multiple upgrade projects. tell me what you can do with T-90? next time when we fight a war, are you going to send a team to russia and beg for more imports of such T-90?

or are you going to use arjun?

:lol::lol::lol:

just compare the specs of the T-90S with the type-99 willlye?
the T-90S is operational only with the Indian army.
I am not trying to market the T-90 here...just need to know how the two tanks would fare up against each other..you don't wanna talk about it then keep shut...some other knowledgeable Chinese friend might elaborate.

T-99G seems like a great tank and it should be because this tank will serve as one of the flag ships of the PLA. Having said that, IMHO, this tank is not the best tank in Asia.

All armed forces manufacture/ procure weapon platforms according to their strategic and tactical needs. T-99G will surely meet the requirements of PLA but it may not meet the requirement of say Indonesia or Japan.

when you judge the overall ranking of any weapon, of course you see the overall performance. sure different countries have difference requirement, actually they may even have different requirements when carrying out different missions, so what you should really expect is the overall performance. for 50ton+ tanks, you always see the power of the gun, the armor, speed.

for such, Type-99G is the best. There is only one tank in Asia that can challenge 99G - Type-99A2.

for a world ranking, I think it can be ranked top5.

I think the engine is good enough. you can find more info from Wikipedia under Type 99 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Type 99 is powered by a liquid cooled, turbocharged 1,500 hp diesel derived from the German MB871ka501 diesel technology. At its current battle weight of 54 ton, this gives a power-to-weight ratio of about 27.78 hp/ton. The maximum speed on road is 80 km/h and 65 km/h cross country. Acceleration from 0 to 32 km/h only takes 12 seconds. The transmission provides seven forward and one reverse gears.

Back
Top Bottom