What's new

US unleashes metal beast ( in Afghanistan )

abdulrafi

Reaction score
By LEON WATSON

Published: 23 Mar 2009

AMERICA has called out its new weapon to send into battle in Afghanistan - a terrifying pack of robotic "BigDogs".
The state-of-the-art headless four-legged metal beasts have been designed to navigate the country's treacherous terrain.

And - as it leaps towards the enemy on animal-inspired articulated legs - the BigDog also lets off an eerie lawnmower buzz.

Creators Boston Dynamics claim BigDog can run as fast as four miles per hour, walk slowly, lie down and climb slopes up to 35 degrees.

These are just some of the new weapons being tested in the wartorn country - along with pilotless helicopters than can transport tons of supplies to remote bases.

The K-MAX remote-controlled chopper has been designed to fly even in Afghanistan's high altitudes.

Frans Jurgens, spokesman for Lockheed Martin Corporation, which manufactures the K-MAX, said: “The K-MAX is basically an aerial truck.

"All the energy goes into the lift and eliminates the need for the tail rotor."

US unleashes metal beast | The Sun |News

Last edited by a moderator:
Since America isn't winning in Afghanistan, they're now planning to scare the living crap out of the Taliban? :lol:

07b4a37fd31dac56675de1ef0c1a7a56.jpg

a30d9cd886459b2e42bd662cf6d25064.jpg

03436fb56ad2f81cbe7b95f5f4ab745b.jpg

It scare the shyt out of talibanis !

i think its not robot its - 2 man under the hood.pulling the stuff.

More to the point. The talibs will die laughing once this contraception comes their way !! :rofl:

The us has weaponized the big dogg...

Paritosh its nothing special - i can make it too, I am not even in professional robotics. and i can make it better than this crazy piece of metal. this dog will be a big failure.

Honda robot evolution......its in a foreign language but you get the drift.

Exactly dabong - american are far too behind -japan in robotics. Thats why they make these clown robots and name them Big Dog( so lame ).

Exactly dabong - american are far too behind -japan in robotics.

I think the japanese are more into robots for the purpose of being able to have robot servants that can do all the work and take care of the old ect,the japanese have never wanted to "import people" as this might dilute there culture or some other nationalist-racial reason while the US wants robots that kill.
It is only natural that people involved in robotics like any other scientific profession will work for different companies/govt over a period of time,this will let the transfer of knowledge take place and eventually we will have a walking talking robot that does most things a hman can do........it like anything in life we can use it for the benfit of humankind or for the destuction of mankind.

Thats why they make these clown robots and name them Big Dog( so lame ).
:rofl:

well i am not an expert on robotics..but i am of the opinion that...it must have been difficult...as the terrain that the BD(big dogg) is shown to traverse is really rough...and did you see how the BD was able to get'p every time it stumbled?
we all must have seen the chicken-walkers of star wars...with two legs the cog has to be maintained...asimo is 90degrees erect...walks without much of a swagger(saw it when it was brought to india+ dad worked with honda for 5yrs...told me helluvalot about it)
it can climb stairs...but rough terrain..and maintaining it's posture after being kicked is not it's cup of tea...
i think this is a very good innovation...the way it climbs on to inhospitable terrain...and maintains it's posture even on slippery ice and after being kicked on it's stickily legs is amazing!

More to the point. The talibs will die laughing once this contraception comes their way !! :rofl:

I can imagine a talib saying: O khochey iss baander ke bachey ko ider laao zara, Hum iss ka chicken roast banaaye ga :lol:

Another one: Hum iss ki khaal ka kacchha siyee ga :rofl::rofl:

Iraq and Afgan has been an excellent place to try out new weapon technology as well as produceing more then million combat veterans....When it comes to down to it, nothing beats experience and on the job training...another drone the USA is useing just flys to the top of a building or mountain, just sits there surveying all that goes on. Drones like the reaper are being improved almost on a daily basis...

Paritosh its nothing special - i can make it too, I am not even in professional robotics. and i can make it better than this crazy piece of metal. this dog will be a big failure.

Not sure how much you know about this..special thing about this BigDog is that it can maintain its balance in extreme conditions and difficult terrain....watxh where its been kicked and dog still keept standing ..... though this is not new ...seen the Lab fotage of this some year or 2 bck....

tx

Exactly dabong - american are far too behind -japan in robotics. Thats why they make these clown robots and name them Big Dog( so lame ).

Its named so because of its look....you can easily make out that its look like that 2 dogs cut in half and there read ends are joined.....

tx

Back
Top Bottom