What's new

What you will never see again if the Hindutva faction gets their way.

When I was the Middle east, I had Nepali momos for the first time.
The menu had veggie :bad:, chicken and "buffalo" momos.

Not really knowing the difference I ordered "beef momo"
the waiter got upset and said "IT"S BUFFALO"
When I ate it, it tasted exactly like beef.

My only thought is... if this the mental gymnastics people have to do to eat delicious beef, then I am all for it.

The best way I can describe it is a Halal restaurant said "we don't serve pork, we serve boar"

any ways, I am a momo convert now :chilli:

My only thought is... if this the mental gymnastics people have to do to eat delicious beef, then I am all for it.

The best way I can describe it is a Halal restaurant said "we don't serve pork, we serve boar"

If you ever travel to Indonesia, and eat at one of their local diners, which are called warungs (not exactly known for hygiene so I wouldn't go there frequently of course not in a post-Corona world), they will serve you delicious beef morsels (called sapi in local language). It's usually round or sirloin meat, the cuts aren't chewy. They are bursting with rich flavours.

After tasting them the first time in Jakarta, I realized those weren't cow meat but buffalo chunks, exactly like I have tasted in Kathmandu, Delhi, Mumbai, and Calcutta. Then I realized a funny thing about international trade: most beef that is sold in Indonesia, actually comes from India. One of the most ironical things is that India is the world's no.1 or no.2 beef exporter. And, India is a major supplier of cheap buffalo beef to that country, so much so that the Australians are whining about losing access to a beef market close to their home. Basically, buffalo meat lends itself excellently to Indonesian dishes compared to cow or bull meat.

India is also a major beef exporter to Vietnam, even the offal is sold at a premium.

Ironically, many of these beef exporting companies in India are owned by RSS-affiliated Hindutva groups.

Of course, in Indonesia you Pakistani guys wouldn't have an issue with the Halal factor which is definitely there (Personally I consume pork as well, so that's not my criteria).

International trade is a funny thing. I think we should be selling more of this beef to Pakistan and other countries as well.

@Indos can you add to this? These were my observations. Some nice Indonesian buffalo dishes that you can recommend. Why does buffalo lend itself so well to the cuisine?

Last edited:
If you ever travel to Indonesia, and eat at one of their local diners, which are called warungs (not exactly known for hygiene so I wouldn't go there frequently of course not in a post-Corona world), they will serve you delicious beef morsels (called sapi in local language). It's usually round or sirloin meat, the cuts aren't chewy. They are bursting with rich flavours.

After tasting them the first time in Jakarta, I realized those weren't cow meat but buffalo chunks, exactly like I have tasted in Kathmandu, Delhi, Mumbai, and Calcutta. Then I realized a funny thing about international trade: most beef that is sold in Indonesia, actually comes from India. One of the most ironical things is that India is the world's no.1 or no.2 beef exporter. And, India is a major supplier of cheap buffalo beef to that country, so much so that the Australians are whining about losing access to a beef market close to their home. Basically, buffalo meat lends itself excellently to Indonesian dishes compared to cow or bull meat.

India is also a major beef exporter to Vietnam, even the offal is sold at a premium.

Ironically, many of these beef exporting companies in India are owned by RSS-affiliated Hindutva groups.

Of course, in Indonesia you Pakistani guys wouldn't have an issue with the Halal factor which is definitely there (Personally I consume pork as well, so that's not my criteria).

International trade is a funny thing. I think we should be selling more of this beef to Pakistan and other countries as well.
I actually have been to Indonesia. Really loved it out there.
I have stomach issues so I try not to eat too many unknown dishes, but if I ever go there again I will certainly try it.

I did love Satay.

And yeah, everyone knows about Indian beef.
Which is even more proof that Muslim lynchings are due to hatred of Muslims and not beef.

Had Dosa's for the first time when I was in the UK. Never chanced upon one in my lifelong stay in the ME.

Had Dosa's for the first time when I was in the UK. Never chanced upon one in my lifelong stay in the ME.
When I lived in the Gulf, 2 foods changed my life.
Momos and Dosas.

I just can't go back to a life without them.
Luckily you can get both with meat in the gulf so I was not stuck with lame veggies.

Just watching this very vid while you posted this Joe.

I knew you'd love it! Just look at the number of 'buffalo' dishes listed!

I know in your Calcutta, there are some excellent Muslim owned eateries near Park Circus. Some of the best beef items on menu. Hope the Hindutvadis leave places like that alone.

My Dad was in charge of the area during Partition. Not a single person died. Amity groups of both communities kept the peace.

As for their leaving places like this alone, I only wish they came along. Is 'whoop their arse' a proper phrase?

In Calcutta, we don't bother with these refinements. Sunday lunch of beef kababs and parathas, prepared by Phool Mohammed, washed down with gallons of beer, by the breezy lakeside, was the standard fare at the Rowing Club.

As for their leaving places like this alone, I only wish they came along. Is 'whoop their arse' a proper phrase?

In Calcutta, we don't bother with these refinements. Sunday lunch of beef kababs and parathas, prepared by Phool Mohammed, washed down with gallons of beer, by the breezy lakeside, was the standard fare at the Rowing Club.

See guys, this is what I'm talking about. These Bengal Tigers are the first and last line of defence against Hindutva fascists in India. Excellent post.

@Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @xeuss

Joe "jhalmuri" Shearer

OK, today Big Basket delivered a half kg packet of murmure (alien-speak for 'muri'). The recipe for jhal-muri is in Bong Eats - recommended by @jbgt90 - and I'm ready to roll. Have to clear a little space in my little fridge first; just got rid of Lahsooni Paalak, Bengali-style Chhola Dal and fluffy white rice, finished off with a totally successful Sweet Bengali (what other kind of Bengali is there anyway?) Tomato Chutney with dates, aam paapad and kismis.

The jhal-muri is for snacking; on the main course is Vangaya Vepudu, Bendekaya Vepudu, Sambar and Menthi Koora (with rice, of course). For snacks, I have Puliogre powder lined up.

Since @jbgt90 helped me get a second lease of life, I'm making the most of it. No wine, no women, no song - so this is all that's left.

@T-123456

You should try my Imam-bayaldi.

@Indos can you add to this? These were my observations. Some nice Indonesian buffalo dishes that you can recommend. Why does buffalo lend itself so well to the cuisine?

Well, Pakistan does not need to import Beef, as we are also a beef exporter. Our meat industry is very robust, especially around Eid ul Azha.

Cow lynchings of Muslims in India is not because of disdain of Muslims consuming beef, that is only an excuse. The real target was to dislodge Muslims of UP from their monopoly on the meat business. It was basic economic warfare against a minority, to weaken them and deprive them of livelihoods.

Many Indian Hindus consume beef, that is not the issue.

Guess who replaced the Muslim meat sellers-buyers?

Living in gulf countries will give chance to observe indians very closely.i work with them i eat with them.one of my Indian malwari colleague invited me his home many time.his wife cook for us. I first time drunk masala tea and mint zeera lassi at his home.
I dont know about bengalis but i think people from kerala Are more tolerant than any other region from India.they only care about if the person is keralite.muslim hindu or Christian does not matter.they will prefer a keralite religion dont matter.
Beef fry is one of my favourite dish from kerala india.
I tried many time replicate it at home but no success so far.i never reach the perfection of kerala cook.
ate masala dosa many times and liked it.
I never like Indian punjabi food.maybe because of different in spice.
I saw indians like Pakistani biryanis very much.

Well, Pakistan does not need to import Beef, as we are also a beef exporter. Our meat industry is very robust, especially around Eid ul Azha.

Cow lynchings of Muslims in India is not because of disdain of Muslims consuming beef, that is only an excuse. The real target was to dislodge Muslims of UP from their monopoly on the meat business. It was basic economic warfare against a minority, to weaken them and deprive them of livelihoods.

Many Indian Hindus consume beef, that is not the issue.

Guess who replaced the Muslim meat sellers-buyers?

You know there are many Indian Hindus, especially in the North, who are frequent non-vegetarians, but will not eat Halal meat. It wasn't always like this, it's more of a recent trend in the last 2-3 decades. Yes, they want to dislodge the poor Muslims in their cities of their livelihood, and that is textbook definition of economic warfare. I have observed this trend many times.

Fortunately, not everyone does it. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many popular Muslim-owned eateries in all major cities.

Back
Top Bottom