What's new

What you will never see again if the Hindutva faction gets their way.

@Shantanu_Left I personally find Indian food too spicy for my tastes.

My diet is more similar to KPK, Kashmir, and North Punjab, consisting of beef, lamb, goat, chicken, mostly grilled or baked, and in karai or qorma.

Somehow I really like BD food though. It can be very tasty sometimes, if I am still alive.

You know there are many Indian Hindus, especially in the North, who are frequent non-vegetarians, but will not eat Halal meat. It wasn't always like this, it's more of a recent trend in the last 2-3 decades. Yes, they want to dislodge the poor Muslims in their cities of their livelihood, and that is textbook definition of economic warfare. I have observed this trend many times.

Fortunately, not everyone does it. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many popular Muslim-owned eateries in all major cities.

My ancestors were non-Muslims, and from what I have heard, they loved beef very much.

Christians will be delighted, various others may be offended. Find out what food is really available, and where, and stop soaking up urban legends.

You might instigate a riot posting this smack dab in the middle of fasting.

On note though,sadly this trend has already been going on here in Pune. Many beef dishes from roadside eateries have disappeared. Earlier, the brave did label them as buffalo, but now beef has been taken out of the menu entirely.

Not to imply you don't get it here, it simply kills the variety. Hyderabad never seemed so dearer.

OK, today Big Basket delivered a half kg packet of murmure (alien-speak for 'muri'). The recipe for jhal-muri is in Bong Eats - recommended by @jbgt90 - and I'm ready to roll. Have to clear a little space in my little fridge first; just got rid of Lahsooni Paalak, Bengali-style Chhola Dal and fluffy white rice, finished off with a totally successful Sweet Bengali (what other kind of Bengali is there anyway?) Tomato Chutney with dates, aam paapad and kismis.

The jhal-muri is for snacking; on the main course is Vangaya Vepudu, Bendekaya Vepudu, Sambar and Menthi Koora (with rice, of course). For snacks, I have Puliogre powder lined up.

Since @jbgt90 helped me get a second lease of life, I'm making the most of it. No wine, no women, no song - so this is all that's left.

@T-123456

You should try my Imam-bayaldi.

I love a lot of Bengali food. Such as the way you cook and serve prawns inside a coconut shell. The resulting gravy tastes very divine.

You know there are many Indian Hindus, especially in the North, who are frequent non-vegetarians, but will not eat Halal meat. It wasn't always like this, it's more of a recent trend in the last 2-3 decades. Yes, they want to dislodge the poor Muslims in their cities of their livelihood, and that is textbook definition of economic warfare. I have observed this trend many times.

Fortunately, not everyone does it. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many popular Muslim-owned eateries in all major cities.

That is still rigid in Uttarakhand; I was taken aback to find that, like the Sikhs, they insisted on 'jhatka'.

That is still rigid in Uttarakhand; I was taken aback to find that, like the Sikhs, they insisted on 'jhatka'.

...and Himachal Pradesh as well. They're all halal haters as if trying to make a statement. My vegetarian friends from those parts used to post videos on my Facebook feed suggesting that Halal is a cruel animal slaughter method. Until I told them to stop tagging me, but they wouldn't listen. So, I had to unfollow them eventually. I was a member of PETA myself during college days but then left it for Greenpeace.

Also many parts of Punjab, Haryana and Delhi, it's common to run into Halal haters. In fact, our Pakistani friends will be surprised to know that the word "halal" itself is sometimes used in a pejorative sense, vilifying the entire Muslim community in every way possible.

In India, the Islamophobia can be quite in your face.

...and Himachal Pradesh as well. They're all halal haters as if trying to make a statement. My vegetarian friends from those parts used to post videos on my Facebook feed suggesting that Halal is a cruel animal slaughter method. Until I told them to stop tagging me, but they wouldn't listen. So, I had to unfollow them eventually. I was a member of PETA myself during college days but then left it for Greenpeace.

Also many parts of Punjab, Haryana and Delhi, it's common to run into Halal haters. In fact, our Pakistani friends will be surprised to know that the word "halal" itself is sometimes used in a pejorative sense, vilifying the entire Muslim community in every way possible.

In India, the Islamophobia can be quite in your face.

Most high end restaurants in the US actually serve Halal meat, because the places they get expensive, fully organic, no steroid meat is Australia, where most high end exports are Halal by default.

There was a list of halal restauranrestaurants. Circulating among Muslim Americans, but many restaurants had to get excluded because Republican tea partiers were boycotting and harassing those restuarants.

It is kind of like 'No Halal movement' by Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka against Muslim businesses. Eventually led to people burning down Muslim areas.

India is also a major beef exporter to Vietnam, even the offal is sold at a premium.

Ironically, many of these beef exporting companies in India are owned by RSS-affiliated Hindutva groups.

Buffalo meat is kosher for us Hindus. The female buffalo is not our mother. The male buffalo is not our father.

With all this "save our cows" going on, the market forces are going to come into play and the dairy farmers are going to all migrate to buffaloes from cows.

What does this mean?

Tell you off line; this is personal.

Before or after the torture you have to endure?

Oh, I've given up on that; nothing to be hoped for.

I keep waking up, hoping that the sound I hear is C 130s, making for Hakimpet Air Force Base, to seize and capture it, and take into custody all intellectuals within a 5 km radius, but it's just those damn' Air Force cadets buzzing around in their wobbly trainer aircraft.

That incredible torture that kept me awake at nights was one leg of the tripod of wine, women and song.

Instead, let me earn a living making Doner Kebabs. If that buys me a portable tape-recorder, at least I'll get song. One out of three is OK.

Buffalo meat is kosher for us Hindus. The female buffalo is not our mother. The male buffalo is not our father.

With all this "save our cows" going on, the market forces are going to come into play and the dairy farmers are going to all migrate to buffaloes from cows.

Very true.

One of the biggest meat processing plants, located somewhere in Maharashtra, I don't remember where, was set up by an SIB friend of the family, a former director of Brooke Bond. Money knows no religion.

As you know I have been to india and loved it but now things have changed sadly. Food is a real unifier. Good post Joe

I hope this nightmare passes, and that you return to India soon, I hope, most of all, to Hyderabad, and that I get a chance to get to Lahore and meet scores of people I need to meet. People who have become friends on the Internet, and only one or two of whom I have actually met in the flesh, in Delhi.

Best wishes for Ramzan.

PS: Many friends have been rolling in the aisles laughing at my idiocy publishing a food thread in the middle of roza. Oh well.....think of what there can be after Eid.

OK, today Big Basket delivered a half kg packet of murmure (alien-speak for 'muri'). The recipe for jhal-muri is in Bong Eats - recommended by @jbgt90 - and I'm ready to roll. Have to clear a little space in my little fridge first; just got rid of Lahsooni Paalak, Bengali-style Chhola Dal and fluffy white rice, finished off with a totally successful Sweet Bengali (what other kind of Bengali is there anyway?) Tomato Chutney with dates, aam paapad and kismis.

The jhal-muri is for snacking; on the main course is Vangaya Vepudu, Bendekaya Vepudu, Sambar and Menthi Koora (with rice, of course). For snacks, I have Puliogre powder lined up.

Since @jbgt90 helped me get a second lease of life, I'm making the most of it. No wine, no women, no song - so this is all that's left.

@T-123456

You should try my Imam-bayaldi.
@Joe Shearer - People are fasting (Holy month of Ramzan)-For their sake - just stop it! Slurp!~drool!
This is so cruel of you- Stealth attack.

Cow lynchings of Muslims in India is not because of disdain of Muslims consuming beef, that is only an excuse. The real target was to dislodge Muslims of UP from their monopoly on the meat business.
You might have a point there- worth doing a bit of research on this.

Beef fry is one of my favourite dish from kerala india.

Just love Malayalee food- So different to the rest of South India.
  • Nadan Kozhi Varuthathu (Spicy Chicken Fry) ...
  • Kerala Style Prawn Curry. ...
  • Karimeen Pollichathu (Fish) ...
  • Kerala Style Fish Molee. ...
  • Nadan Beef (Kerala Style Beef) ...
  • Thalassery Biryani. ...
  • Kallumakkaya Ularthiyathu (Mussel Stir Fry) ...
  • Erachi Varutharacha Curry (Fried-Ground Mutton Curry)
https://traveltriangle.com/blog/kerala-cuisine/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom