What's new

What's in your Gun Locker?

Get a SAKO 22lr rifle. @Irfan Baloch
interesting Finish Rifle with barrel interchangeability,
I don't know if there is any international dealer in Pakistan. and if bringing one from abroad is worth the hassle. in UK due to COVID the authorities are not issuing any fire arms certificates at the moment that I need to buy and bring it to Pakistan.
I know even with all the legal paperwork and declarations done I will still need to feed the customs at Islamabad airport. so my choice now is down to a questionable rifle with possibility of fake or abused copy vs a rifle costing me much more than its retail price and paperwork :).

My gun locker.

1. Remington 66 - 22 LR self loader
(Vintage, inherited, functional
but not used)

2. Stevens 12 GA DB
Hammer, Side-by-Side
(Antique- Inherited, functional but
not used)

3.,Mossberg 500 Combo 12 GA
Pro-Staff Scope on rifled barrel
( New, and in heavy, use
both smooth and rifled.
barrels.)

4. Savage 110 -30-06
Integral Mag,
( Nikon, Buckmaster scope)
Fairly new, and in use.

As gun buffs can tell (and as is evident from my gun locker), I am a hunter.
From my father I got the Lee Enfield rifle number 5 with iron sight only. I have fired it occasionally
and a .38 Enfield no 2 revolver which is a joy to fire. both are vintage original British army weapons bought and cared for by the family.

From my father I got the Lee Enfield rifle number 5 with iron sight only. I have fired it occasionally
and a .38 Enfield no 2 revolver which is a joy to fire. both are vintage original British army weapons bought and cared for by the family.
These are wonderful weapons. Am intrigued about the Enfield No. 2 though. That's a rare piece. The Royal Indian Army, used both Enfields and Webley MK IV revolvers.

Much before my time, both the SMLE Mk V and Webley Mk IV 0.38/200 were in use in the NCC in Pakistan up to the 1960s.
I have however used both the SMLE MK V and 0.38/200 Webley MK IV on the range at a gun club. The "peep " sights on the SMLE MK V are dead accurate.
Question: Are 0.303 rounds still available?
On the 0.22 LR rifle you wish to acquire:
It depends on what you want it for.
In the old days for hunting, a bolt action Bruno or BSA was preferred due to fit, finish, and finely calibrated iron sights . The stock had to be fitted properly and made of genuine seasoned walnut to prevent warping and interfering with the action and sights.
The top of the line Mauser and Winchester models were horribly expensive.
But times have changed:
Mass production and new materials have drastically reduced costs while maintaining all the quality offered by the Mauser and Winchester Models.
Polymer stocks, chrome lined barrels, teflon coated actions, have produced extremely low priced semi-automatic 0.22 LR rifles that are very rugged and reliable. These rifles don't even have sights because it is assumed you will use scopes. The result is low priced rifles that will match or exceed the accuracy and reliability of the expensive Mauser, Brunos, BSAs .
The Remington 66 was the first of these rifles, though its 14 round tubular magazine is pain to load.
Also it didn't have scope mounts but had to be fitted.
The Ruger 10/22 with a 10 round rotary magazine is my favorite. Even when fitted with a low priced Simmons or Barska scope it gives a great performance. My friend has one,and it is a breeze to shoot.
American 0.22 LRs such as Savage, Marlins, Henrys are low priced reliable, all in the range from $200-$450. There are survival 0.22 LRs , bare bones break open types that are $150.
These rifles are for small game hunting and recreational shooting.
Their extreme long range accuracy is dependent on scopes.
They do not have the accuracy for open sights competition shooting.
Those rifles can cost thousands of dollars.
So it depends on what you want.
A survival rifle, hunting and recreational shooting rifle, a high quality bolt action "collectors rifle ", or an ultra modern competition shooting target rifle.
I personally am satisfied with the Remington Nylon 66 though I wish it had a box magazine.

Last edited:
These are wonderful weapons. Am intrigued about the Enfield No. 2 though. That's a rare piece. The Royal Indian Army, used both Enfields and Webley MK IV revolvers.

Much before my time, both the SMLE Mk V and Webley Mk IV 0.38/200 were in use in the NCC in Pakistan up to the 1960s.
I have however used both the SMLE MK V and 0.38/200 Webley MK IV on the range at a gun club. The "peep " sights on the SMLE MK V are dead accurate.
Question: Are 0.303 rounds still available?
On the 0.22 LR rifle you wish to acquire:
It depends on what you want it for.
In the old days for hunting, a bolt action Bruno or BSA was preferred due to fit, finish, and finely calibrated iron sights . The stock had to be fitted properly and made of genuine seasoned walnut to prevent warping and interfering with the action and sights.
The top of the line Mauser and Winchester models were horribly expensive.
But times have changed:
Mass production and new materials have drastically reduced costs while maintaining all the quality offered by the Mauser and Winchester Models.
Polymer stocks, chrome lined barrels, teflon quoted actions, have produced extremely low priced semi-automatic 0.22 LR rifles that are very rugged and reliable. These rifles don't even have sights because it is assumed you will use scopes. The result is low priced rifles that will match or exceed the accuracy and reliability of the expensive Mauser, Brunos, BSAs .
The Remington 66 was the first of these rifles, though its 14 round tubular magazine is pain to load.
Also it didn't have scope mounts but had to be fitted.
The Ruger 10/22 with a 10 round rotary magazine is my favorite. Even when fitted with a low priced Simmons or Barska scope it gives a great performance. My friend has one,and it is a breeze to shoot.
American 0.22 LRs such as Savage, Marlins, Henrys are low priced reliable, all in the range from $200-$450. There are survival 0.22 LRs , bare bones break open types that are $150.
These rifles are for small game hunting and recreational shooting.
Their extreme long range accuracy is dependent on scopes.
They do not have the accuracy for open sights competition shooting.
Those rifles can cost thousands of dollars.
So it depends on what you want.
A survival rifle, hunting and recreational shooting rifle, a high quality bolt action "collectors rifle ", or an ultra modern competition shooting target rifle.
I personally am satisfied with the Remington Nylon 66 though I wish it had a box magazine.
for occasional plinking and small game hunting

have no time or interest in competition shooting

for occasional plinking and small game hunting

have no time or interest in competition shooting
You wouldn't even need scopes for normal hunting
Then I would suggest:
1. If a new purchase or import is possible go for a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 64 ( ? ). There are different models, but a base model ( Nylon stock, black matt barrel) would cost around $275-300
2. Break action/ bolt action single shot rifles would be available for $150-$175 (+ import duties)

3. Good condition second hand, Bruno, Mauser, Manlicher, or BSA bolt action rifles would be another option.
Before buying check the actions, safety catch operations, magazines, and inspect the barrel with a torch to check for barrel damage. Always test a used rifle on the range before buying it.
Don't know what these excellent rifles would cost. It would depend on what the owner demands for it.
When new these could cost up to $1500 or more.
You are very likely to get a good deal on an inherited rifle the owner is trying to get rid off.
Another option:
See if you can get an SMLE 22RF range training rifle on disposal from the army. This is a version of the SMLE Mk 2 /3 chambered for .22 RF . This was used for range practice for cadets in the PNCC in the "good old days". Even though these would be at least 50-60 years old, the rifles would be in great shape. These are no longer used as G3 training rifles are now used. The army would be almost giving this away at rock bottom prices. You would need to "sporterize" it, taking away the heavy wooden furniture, so some money will be spent paying a gunsmith. But you will end up with an excellent rifle at the lowest possible price.

Last edited:
You wouldn't even need scopes for normal hunting
Then I would suggest:
1. If a new purchase or import is possible go for a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 64 ( ? ). There are different models, but a base model ( Nylon stock, black matt barrel) would cost around $275-300
2. Break action/ bolt action single shot rifles would be available for $150-$175 (+ import duties)

3. Good condition second hand, Bruno, Mauser, Manlicher, or BSA bolt action rifles would be another option.
Before buying check the actions, safety catch operations, magazines, and inspect the barrel with a torch to check for barrel damage. Always test a used rifle on the range before buying it.
Don't know what these excellent rifles would cost. It would depend on what the owner demands for it.
When new these could cost up to $1500 or more.
You are very likely to get a good deal on an inherited rifle the owner is trying to get rid off.
Another option:
See if you can get an SMLE 22RF range training rifle on disposal from the army. This is a version of the SMLE Mk 2 /3 chambered for .22 RF . This was used for range practice for cadets in the PNCC in the "good old days". Even though these would be at least 50-60 years old, the rifles would be in great shape. These are no longer used as G3 training rifles are now used. The army would be almost giving this away at rock bottom prices. You would need to "sporterize" it, taking away the heavy wooden furniture, so some money will be spent paying a gunsmith. But you wili end up with an excellent rifle at the lowest possible price.
I have lost all my links of people who were into gun collection and always on the prowl for a good deal. so getting a company while buying a good secondhand rifle might not be possible. I know the basic to do list to check out a used rifle for wear and tear and any abuse but it helps to get a second opinion who is more current in this market.

I enjoyed the freedom of iron sights. as for scopes, this is purely for novelty and fun purpose and and I am interested to try in shooting ranges. as for hunting its also to humanely put the animal down. I know scopes can cost same as gun or even more. I aim to keep the budget under say around 1000 dollars for the entire package so as to not buy something rubbish that breaks down and is a disappointment nor something utterly expensive and underutilized and overkill and never a justified buy for my otherwise very busy life..

for caliber I am staying at .22. I am sucker for vintage design so I been checking reviews on Mauser Kar98. that one is being sold by Diana and is the replica of the WW2 German rifle.
as for SMLE 22RF, we happen to have a lookalike in the shape of British .303 that was passed on from army to police till 80s. a common sight in tribal areas but it was bought as a decoration piece and I never took it to armorer to get it checked maybe its decommissioned. the firing pin is missing and has no magazine. I dont know if its training rifle version will be available in Pakistan and I dont want to waste time in UK looking for it and raising suspicions.

as said I have short listed CZ 457 and the Finish SAKO is also another interesting option I want to explore more. Merin and Roger are all good but they are semi auto which can be good for my son but I am avoiding them on purpose until I have exhausted all bolt action rifles options. I might grudgingly buy a Ruger 10/22 as an additional rifle in the end due to its simplicity , lightness and usability for me and kids. but I am not there yet.
Check from Elahi Bux. @Irfan Baloch
where is that gentleman?

I have lost all my links of people who were into gun collection and always on the prowl for a good deal. so getting a company while buying a good secondhand rifle might not be possible. I know the basic to do list to check out a used rifle for wear and tear and any abuse but it helps to get a second opinion who is more current in this market.

I enjoyed the freedom of iron sights. as for scopes, this is purely for novelty and fun purpose and and I am interested to try in shooting ranges. as for hunting its also to humanely put the animal down. I know scopes can cost same as gun or even more. I aim to keep the budget under say around 1000 dollars for the entire package so as to not buy something rubbish that breaks down and is a disappointment nor something utterly expensive and underutilized and overkill and never a justified buy for my otherwise very busy life..

for caliber I am staying at .22. I am sucker for vintage design so I been checking reviews on Mauser Kar98. that one is being sold by Diana and is the replica of the WW2 German rifle.
as for SMLE 22RF, we happen to have a lookalike in the shape of British .303 that was passed on from army to police till 80s. a common sight in tribal areas but it was bought as a decoration piece and I never took it to armorer to get it checked maybe its decommissioned. the firing pin is missing and has no magazine. I dont know if its training rifle version will be available in Pakistan and I dont want to waste time in UK looking for it and raising suspicions.

as said I have short listed CZ 457 and the Finish SAKO is also another interesting option I want to explore more. Merin and Roger are all good but they are semi auto which can be good for my son but I am avoiding them on purpose until I have exhausted all bolt action rifles options. I might grudgingly buy a Ruger 10/22 as an additional rifle in the end due to its simplicity , lightness and usability for me and kids. but I am not there yet.

where is that gentleman?
$1000 is a very generous budget for a 22LR rifle. If it is not for "collection" or snob value you can get a very good rifle with scope for under $350.
A mid range Simmons, Nikon, or Barska scope will cost you about $150 if you buy separately. When you buy a package ( new rifle with scope ) on a sale or deal you will get the scope on a discount. The hunting season will be ending shortly in the USA and Central Europe and the price of new rifles will go down by February.

Ruger and Savage make bolt action rifles too. Marlin ( I think) and Henry make under lever tube magazine rifles and these are all in the range of $350-450. I am not a fan of under lever rifles as these actions unless well maintained do tend to jam. Unlike a bolt action it is hard to see if a live round has failed to eject when unloading.
Also on safety catches:
American rifles ( the Savage being an exception) have trigger safety locks and this is not ambidextrous. A mistake in pushing the button latch the wrong way can result in a terrible accident.
Tang safeties are better and most European rifles have these. The Mauser is famous for its flag safety.
SMLE .22 RF
Well taken on the SMLE .22RF I should also have been referring to
already sporterized conversions.
You may be able to find disposal rifles from the Royal Army Volunteer Reserve, and I was looking at a rock bottom budget. But with your preferences defined I think we are in good shape.

If your son is in his early teens see if he would like a Cricket. This is a very small single shot bolt action 22 LR rifle for training teenagers. You can't really do serious hunting with it. It is more like a survival rifle.
But it is cheap ! About $125.

Try them

I check but they have only two handguns and both pistols, as per best knowledge poorly trained ladies in Pakistan can't operate them under duress and in case of other hurry.
I think some sort of revolver is best. Do you have any idea about locally produce low caliber revolver?

I check but they have only two handguns and both pistols, as per best knowledge poorly trained ladies in Pakistan can't operate them under duress and in case of other hurry.
I think some sort of revolver is best. Do you have any idea about locally produce low caliber revolver?
Curious if generic copies of the Markarov 9 mm are available I have never seen one. Copies of the TT33 are common, and it is a very unsafe weapon. The hammer has a tendency to fall forward on a jolt, or when dropped setting off the round in the chamber.

Last edited:
Irfan:

I had put up a post a few months back about Enfield owners. Glad to see your post.

I have mine - Enfield No 4 Mk2. Use it a few times a year.

RSA is a huge Enfield user base; a lot of people sporterised theirs; i kept mine original. It was produced here locally in 1948. I got it off another friend, it was his grand father's; it was still in original box; just fired a couple of times. Paid 30$ for it.

Still pretty darn accurate at 400m using iron sights.

Curious if generic copies of the Markarov 9 mm copies are available I have never seen one. Copies of the TT33 are common, and it is a very unsafe weapon. The hammer has a tendency to fall forward on a jolt, or when dropped setting off the round in the chamber.
Correct; Maks are known for this issue.

Irfan:

I had put up a post a few months back about Enfield owners. Glad to see your post.

I have mine - Enfield No 4 Mk2. Use it a few times a year.

RSA is a huge Enfield user base; a lot of people sporterised theirs; i kept mine original. It was produced here locally in 1948. I got it off another friend, it was his grand father's; it was still in original box; just fired a couple of times. Paid 30$ for it.

Still pretty darn accurate at 400m using iron sights.
you lucky thing. to have everything in original setting. yes you are right. it was used as a sniper rifle with scope as well. its very accurate indeed. its a joy to shoot. its report is awesome. makes boys men and impregnates your women.
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom