What's new

Who will be Pakistan’s next Army Chief and Joint Chief of the military

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM Imran will hold consultation on new army chief when time comes: President Alvi

Riazul Haq
February 15, 2022

President Dr Arif Alvi sits down for an exclusive interview with DawnNewsTV's Adil Shahzeb. — DawnNewsTV

President Dr Arif Alvi sits down for an exclusive interview with DawnNewsTV's Adil Shahzeb. — DawnNewsTV

President Dr Arif Alvi said that Prime Minister Imran Khan had not undertaken any consultation regarding the appointment of the new army chief with him, adding that he would "definitely do when the times comes".

The president expressed these views during an interview with DawnNewsTV's Adil Shahzeb, scheduled to be aired later today. His comments come a day after Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Qamar Bajwa held rare same-day talks with President Alvi and Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Although the army chief’s meeting with the prime minister took place on the sidelines of the apex committee on Afghanistan’s session, it is rare for an army chief to meet both, the head of the state and the head of the government, on the same day.

During the interview, Shahzeb asked President Alvi if PM Imran had initiated consultations on the matter of appointing the new COAS, noting that the premier had last month said that no decision had been taken.

The president replied in the negative, saying: "No, [the PM has not consulted me] but I think he will definitely [do] when the time comes.”

Shahzeb then pointed out that a column was published in an Urdu daily which claimed that the premier had gotten two important summaries signed by the president in regards to parliament and an "important personality" and that "no one knew what was the content of those orders".

But the president said that he was not aware of any such development, adding that "nothing like that [the PM getting documents signed from me and keeping them] had happened because whatever I sign becomes public,” Alvi said.

Gen Bajwa's tenure will be up in November. Last month, PM Imran had said he had so far not thought about an extension in the army chief's tenure.
It is pertinent to mention here that the Gen Bajwa's tenure was extended for three years by the prime minister in Aug 2019, just three months before he was set to retire.

The extension was taken up by the Supreme Court, which after much debate had allowed the COAS to retain his position for six months and asked the government to legislate on the matter in that time. The legislation on this matter was passed in Jan 2020, allowing the premier to extend the army chief's tenure once.

Now situation is very fluid, and nobody knows for sure.....................

I think the most senior should be made the chief. We have seen the deteriorating effects of out of turn chiefs in the forces.

PM must follow the seniority. The senior most officer should get the role. CJCSC should be from Air Force or Navy this time around.
It's been long long time since we have seen CJCSC from other forces remember Farooq Feroz and Admiral Serohi when I was grade 12 student I hope khan sb will make ur wish come true

COAS Bajwa ?
Faiz or Nadeem one of two

Last edited:
i will vote for Lt Gen. Sahir Shamshad Mirza a truly inspiring story when joined Army, he had not even a single family member in this world. He was an orphan, He once said that I have no other person & family member in this world except my unit & Pakistan Army and even he wrote ‘8 Sindh’ in the ‘Next of Kin’ column .

Any updates.
As new govt. is coming and again influence by other powers................

I could tell you who it wouldn't be...Gen Faiz!

If it's N-league still in power, then you can bet it would be the most junior officer or the most unexpected choice (read timid).

Brain washing Cinema. Try portraying anything even indirectly mocking anything Jewish. Media and govt will turn everything upside down. They will ask for fines, permanent bans and even try to go for hate crime investigation.

If IK survive this guy. If opposition wins. They will make an example of him for sipping a victory cup in Kabul. Folk in all corner of US defense establishment were deeply embarrassed and hurt the way Kabul fell.

1648850716901.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom