What's new

Why clean India will never work.

The thread title is clearly wrong, perhaps sensationalist or attention-seeking. "Will never work" is different from "may work IF all Indians participate". I do not think that my fellow Indians are incapable of reform. Examples may need to be set. Last week my dad- working in a major PSU Bank told me that 30 year old files in storage- which were decayed and insect infected, were finally disposed off. Things are on the move- and the government machinery is finally shaking off apathy.

This caste problem in India is exactly the reason why it can never become the aspiring superpower it envision to become in the future!
Caste system in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Come to India and then tell us how much caste system you saw. Until then please stop bringing it everywhere when you know almost nothing about the ground realities.

Caste system has mostly disappeared from urban areas and most rural areas. It now exists only in small pockets of the country and it is fast disappearing their too.

Last edited:
No-one is considered as 'untouchable' in India anymore and the Caste system has been legally abolished long ago.......
Old mentalities may still prevail in some remote places of India......but, by and large, India has gotten rid of all religious and cultural prejudices.......

may be caste system has been legally abolished long ago but new laws are being introduced almost every year to create caste based quotas/reservations in every elite institution!

Until and unless we abolish caste based reservation, India is not "caste system" free country!

Come to India and then tell us how much caste system you saw. Until then please stop bringing it everywhere when you know almost nothing about the ground realities.

Caste system has mostly disappeared from urban areas and most rural areas. It now exists only in small pockets of the country and it is fast disappearing their too.

Well said

This is the problem with both Indian and Pakistani posters.

They never get out of their @rses and try to visit the other side. So then they are all reduced to live with stereotypes and misinformation about the other.

sadly

I think that police should carry slim canes to thrash people whop are making a mess. Penalties like fines might make it difficult for poorer people to pay while rich people might consider it a pittance.

Caning is a great leveler, rich or poor gets thrashed and feel the pain.

100% true.
However this will require a large manpower and police forces are already very less in comparison to our population,so who will do the monitoring job??
The first requirement is to impose strict rules and regulations....which would serve two purpose....
First, it would empower the common people by giving them a support on the basis of which they can protest/complain against the perpetrators.....
Second, it will have its usual deterrent effect.....BUT, as you've stated, there ain't sufficient manpower(which shouldn't be the case in such an overpopulated country) for law enforcement which will reduce the deterrent effect.....
Therefore, the rules and regulations must be incredibly strict to compensate for the lack of enforcing manpower....

Let me explain, I travel by train a lot. When I was young, people used to smoke a lot in train compartments, NOW, after the anti-smoking law is introduced(probably in 2008), today I hardly see anyone smoking in train compartments.....
How did that happen with so less enforcing manpower??
The answer is in the very strict anti-smoking law imposing heavy penalty on the perpetrators and its clever implementation.....
Due to lack of manpower, instead of doing regular checks, the enforcing agency used to conduct sudden and random checks once in a while.......the fact that you don't know when and where you'll get caught and once you're caught, the heavy fine ensured that you'll think 20 times before doing such a thing again.........
Like that we countered the menace of public smoking and can control this problem too.....

If i was in charge in India, i'd make an effort to build public facilities (massive construction boom will help gdp that year too :smokin:) and start a massive media campaign (all pervasive-in between Bollywood soaps, before the evening news, on mobiles!) on how it's not good for people, their town and ultimately their country if they make a mess anywhere they feel.

As a stop gap solution, i'd probably use portable toilets, the ones used at construction sites (like potty training.....ppl would first go to toilets at a construction site of a sanitary facility then they would go in the facility itself when it would be finished), with a fleet of collectors cruising between spots where the toilets were placed. If i go a bit wild now, these collectors could be dumping the excrement at some sorts of bio gas electricity plant that can power the community for as long as the excrement is flowing. If you have lots of cow dung, you can add that too!

This together with solar can be a great way to power up the countryside.

Last edited:
Well said

This is the problem with both Indian and Pakistani posters.

They never get out of their @rses and try to visit the other side. So then they are all reduced to live with stereotypes and misinformation about the other.

sadly
PDF join karne ka yahi to benefit hua hai:pdf:

The thread title is clearly wrong, perhaps sensationalist or attention-seeking. "Will never work" is different from "may work IF all Indians participate". I do not think that my fellow Indians are incapable of reform. Examples may need to be set. Last week my dad- working in a major PSU Bank told me that 30 year old files in storage- which were decayed and insect infected, were finally disposed off. Things are on the move- and the government machinery is finally shaking off apathy.

That's Shatterpoitn for you ! He visits India once in a blue moon, writes odes of negativism and then goes back to Australia to seek refuge from his twisted pyschologically raped perspective.

That's Shatterpoitn for you ! He visits India once in a blue moon, writes odes of negativism and then goes back to Australia to seek refuge from his twisted pyschologically raped perspective.

nope... thts a dude who visited india with his family n saw the who .... 101...

Yes. There have to be proper dustbins provided for littering. But it should be sternly enforced with environment officers punishing people and police having unprecedented power to arrest even those who claim to be related to big shots.

I was on a short break to the city of Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. The Vasundhra government has taken good initiative to clean up Rajasthan and make it more attractive to the already robust tourism industry in that state. I was mightily impressed. But the city's cleanliness also was due to people's attitude. Rajasthanis, whether in Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Jodhpur or even capital Jaipur was immaculate. They are polite, decent and accept rules unlike Delhi or Mumbai where everyone thinks they own the city.

This is the same problem we have with fellow Indians who come to visit our state. We tell people not to litter but they don't care and litter. Why? Because the state mentality of many states has been made like that. That has to change.

Well at least we are aligned on somthing.

Facilitation, strict implementation with severe penalties is the key for success. Eventually people and mindset will change and we may not need to force it. Till than Danda must be used.

Any tourist comes here.. What he will tell about India in his country.. The tajmahal or the filth?

I haven't been to India - I hear the stories from co-workers who have been there (for work, not primarily as tourists). A story or two about touristy things, but hours of stories about nastiness, filth, smells, and beggars. One of my co-workers apparently had beggars putting their hands in his pockets! Another co-worker was giving something (money?) to poor kids, and one of our Indian co-workers got angry with him, for encouraging that behavior. Like, really mad. Mostly, the Indian colleagues coach everyone before going out to studiously ignore the beggars, not to eat food or drink that has not been vetted, etc.

Everyone comes back saying you can't believe the poverty till you see it. Again, no personal experience, just stories.

On the upside, the Indian office is very diligent about ensuring that visitors get attention, and get shown around Mumbai, everything worth seeing that there is time for. We are not nearly as good at entertaining them when they visit. :-(

Oh, and the traffic! None of our engineers drives while visiting India - they are universally provided drivers as needed. Very alien for Americans, where you drive yourself around. Having a driver would be ludicrously expensive in the US, well outside the means of engineers. Also, its culturally very popular to drive in the US, so that is just a very different thing, apparently.

You know, sometimes I wish that I was born in a lower caste. You will never understand the hardship we face being a higher caste.
I hope this is sarcasm. Being the trod upon is always harder than doing the treading.

Last edited:
I haven't been to India - I hear the stories from co-workers who have been there (for work, not primarily as tourists). A story or two about touristy things, but hours of stories about nastiness, filth, smells, and beggars. One of my co-workers apparently had beggars putting their hands in his pockets! Another co-worker was giving something (money?) to poor kids, and one of our Indian co-workers got angry with him, for encouraging that behavior. Like, really mad. Mostly, the Indian colleagues coach everyone before going out to studiously ignore the beggars, not to eat food or drink that has not been vetted, etc.

Everyone comes back saying you can't believe the poverty till you see it. Again, no personal experience, just stories.

On the upside, the Indian office is very diligent about ensuring that visitors get attention, and get shown around Mumbai, everything worth seeing that there is time for. We are not nearly as good at entertaining them when they visit. :-(

Oh, and the traffic! None of our engineers drives while visiting India - they are universally provided drivers as needed. Very alien for Americans, where you drive yourself around. Having a driver would be ludicrously expensive in the US, well outside the means of engineers. Also, its culturally very popular to drive in the US, so that is just a very different thing, apparently.

Sounds just about right.

In Large urban centres Begging is an organized crime and children are bench-pressed into doing it. That is why people discourage giving alms to children or youth.

I hope this is sarcasm. Being the trod upon is always harder than doing the treading.

Rather than commenting on that post, it would be better to enquire why he said so.

Back
Top Bottom