What's new

A few questions about turkey

There is no such thing called Ottoman Language. What you called Ottoman Language is Turkish written in Arabic Alphabet and it was exactly Turkish. (How would you able to explain the 400 year-old-gap otherwise? It is not like burying something to the ground and taking it out 400 years later.) Sure, it was affected by Arabic and Persian but that doesn't necessarily make it a language other than Turkish just like today's Anatolian Turkish's affection by English and French doesn't make it something else, it's still Turkish. Today, many word that you still use is Persian: menekşe, lâle, sümbül, şebboy, zanbak, beste, güfte, ahenk, namaz, oruç, yonca, yulaf, havuç, turp, zeytin, badem, bülbül, kumru, eğer, etc... and many words are Arabic: ahlak, acayip, akrep, bariz, emare, baytar, battal, kalem, kitap, vatan, himaye, eflatun, hasıl, cefakâr, dahi, delil, hayat, etc... (I am telling all these because it was like this back then and it still is now.)

As a person who has sufficient skill in Ottoman language, i can claim that between 16th and early 19th centuries, there are at least 2 different Turkish language and some levels between those.

17th century Koroglu's language (Turkish folk language) and 17th century Ottoman court language are totally different. I can talk Ottoman here with many Persian and Arabic borrowed words, No single Turkish forum member would get the meaning.

"Ameden-i Sultan Mehemmed Han ez canib-i vilayet-i Bogdan" is Ottoman.
"Mehmed Han'ın Bogdan topragindan gelişi" is Turkish.

Turkmen and Turk didnt have the skill to speak Ottoman, only privileged ones. And purification of Ottoman Turkish started in 19th century, not during the Republic of Turkey.

I favor Latin script to Arabic script, since we cannot return to Orkhon script. Easier to read, far more easier to write.

Hey,
I got a few questions about turkey, and was hoping that the turkish members could shed some light
1. I understand the Arabs have problem with Iranians because of the sect difference, but since Turks (After the revolution) don't care much about Arab policies, why do they still have major disagreements with Iran?

From what I've read online, it seems like they haven't had any major conflict for a long time, and have secure/stable borders.

2. Is it true that the Athan (call to prayer) is said in the turkish language instead of Arabic in Turkey?

3. What is the popular opinion of secular minded muslims in Turkey regarding relationships with Arabs, and the Arab culture.

4. Is Ottoman history a mandatory topic taught in Turkey? (Since it is turkish history), and is it regarded as something to be proud of or as a mistake that shouldn't be repeated?

5. What are the major differences between Arab and Turkish traditions - in terms of the religious activities. For example, the veil is look upon as a cultural statement in Turkey, whereas in Arab states it is looked on as a religious symbol (and mandatory in some countries).

Thanks

1. I think we should name it "competition" instead of "major disagreement". Turkey (Turks) and Iran (Persians) have always been two main and primary actors of this region and have always been in a competition and this is a fact of life.

This is a phenomenon like France and Germany competition in Europe but unfortunately we are not able to create something like a "European Coal and Steel Community" or "EU" but two cultures are mature enough to keep peace as status quo since 1639.

2. It was said in Turkish Language between the years 1932-1950 as there is no rule in Islam that it has to be said in Arabic.

3. Secular minded citizens of Turkey as they are "Secular" do not take religious beliefs as references but interests, benefits and positive science for governance of the state. But we should not ignore the main conception for Arabs which is widely accepted by most of the Turkish citizens whether they describe themselves as secular or not is, "they betrayed us in WWI"

4. Yes it is. Mostly it is taught neutral as history science like any history class in western world.

5. I think it is better to ask what are the main similarities between Arab and Turkish traditions as they are two different cultures unlike both seen as quite same in western world.
The main similarity is vast majority of two people are Muslims and rest are similar as the similarity between an Englishman and a French.

What is behind Turks problems with Greeks.

I think we should ask the question as "What is behind Greeks problems with Turks."
Let me try to explain.

Modern Greece has seperated from Ottomans and became independent in 1822 and mainly backed by Great Britain and it's allies (that day's super power) as an element of weakening big agricultural empires (Ottoman Empire was one of them) and replace them with many nation states.

Unlike it is succesfully promoted and widely accepted as successors of Ancient Greeks, there is more or less 2000 years of gap between modern Greece and them. So a fake connection has created between Modern Greece and Ancient Greece and a modern day nation called "Greece" has artificially formed.

For any newly created nation you will need a common value that will unite people, and "Turkish hate" (Also used for many new states that separated from Ottomans) has choosen for modern Greece which also would hinder Turkish influence and dominance in Balkans and Eastern Europe which was (and still is) not something preferred for Western Big Bros after a strong Ottoman Empire experience in history.

So being anti-Turkish is the key element for modern Greece and this is the main reason of problems.

Back
Top Bottom