What's new

A Tale Of Two Bengals Where Never The Twain Shall Meet

Rather than taking pride on other people's work and spending the whole life doing that, do something so that others are proud of u! That'll be a better idea!

You don't have to worry about me. I make a pretty good living. I was a junior trader a few years back and then decided to step into web authoring from which I now make a better living, so I am not someone who spends all my time on forums. But I want to do something that others can appreciate, and not just for myself. This is why I am here so I can hopefully shape the minds of a few of other Bangladeshis along my line of thinking.

I would like to settle back in Bangladesh permanently some years down the line and do my bit to contribute to its success. I would love to get into a position of advisor to the government. I have my own grand plans on how we should take the country forward. For one, I would like the current government from being so pro-India. I do agree with the other poster when he says we need to reign in Muslim hardliners, but for me, not because they are anti-India but more so because they create political instability which can dissuade foreign investment. I was one of those people who use to be a fierce advocate of Bangladesh and West Bengal reuniting (if they broke away from India) but have completely gone off it now. I'd rather we build a closer relationship with Pakistan, our fellow Muslims. We don't want to become East Pakistan or anything like that but just greater understanding between the two nations, which will increase trade, other business partnerships, as both countries rise economically in the years to come.

I would like Bangladesh to have quite a strong Islamic ethos but be secular at the same time. We decided all those centuries ago we were going to be shaped by Islam and so we must continue. Islam now forms the backbone of Bangladeshi culture. However, I don't want any of this Islamic 'expansionism' nonsense taking grip of our country. If you allow Muslim hardliners to cause chaos then the chances of thriving as country, economically and otherwise, lessens.

Last edited:
Yes I realise there is diversity in Bangladesh, sometimes even in the same family you can have different looks. But I am worried about the future. We live close to people who shouldn't even belong in South Asia (the mongoloids). And history shows people inevitably start getting mixed when they live close by. We have to guard our borders with barbed wire, and even take measures of electrocuting anyone trying to enter.

I honestly think we should end our relationship with India for good. We should only have limited trade with them. We should look further afield for our products and services.

I am a bit curious, what you got against mongoloids?

Well, of course partition was a good idea for us Bengalis. It has allowed us to form a nation for our own ethnicity. We don't have to share our country with lots of other ethnicities. You can take more pride of your people when you know almost everyone belongs to the same tribe.

Well, we Indians never had any problem with taking pride of our people and their achievements, irrespective of their ethnicity or tribe.

Ironically, I found Bangladeshis to be much more concerned about their religious identity than their ethnic identity.

I am a bit curious, what you got against mongoloids?
Nothing. In fact, I'd rather see China do better than India. But I don't want them coming into our lands. Them coming for trade and business is fine, but I don't them coming over and changing our genetics.

Let me reiterate, we don't want to be part of another country, be it India, Pakistan or whatever. However, I think we should get over 1971 already and build good relations with Pakistan. We should also have good relations with China. Having good relations with other countries is good for business. I am developing a strong dislike for India of late.

Last edited:
You don't have to worry about me. I make a pretty good living. I was a junior trader a few years back and then decided to step into web authoring from which I now make a better living, so I am not someone who spends all my time on forums. But I want to do something that others can appreciate, and not just for myself. This is why I am here so I can hopefully shape the minds of a few of other Bangladeshis along my line of thinking.

I would like to settle back in Bangladesh permanently some years down the line and do my bit to contribute to its success. I would love to get into a position of advisor to the government. I have my own grand plans on how we should take the country forward. For one, I would like the current government from being so pro-India. I do agree with the other poster when he says we need to reign in Muslim hardliners, but for me, not because they are anti-India but more so because they create political instability which can dissuade foreign investment. I was one of those people who use to be a fierce advocate of Bangladesh and West Bengal reuniting (if they broke away from India) but have completely gone off it now. I'd rather we build a closer relationship with Pakistan, our fellow Muslims. We don't want to become East Pakistan or anything like that but just greater understanding between the two nations, which will increase trade, other business partnerships, as both countries rise economically in the years to come.

I would like Bangladesh to have quite a strong Islamic ethos but be secular at the same time. We decided all those centuries ago we were going to be shaped by Islam and so we must continue. Islam now forms the backbone of Bangladeshi culture. However, I don't want any of this Islamic 'expansionism' nonsense taking grip of our country. If you allow Muslim hardliners to cause chaos then the chances of thriving as country, economically and otherwise, lessens.

Good! You speak sense! Anyhow I just contradicted you as you were mentioning some East West Bengal reunification stuff, which I being a Bengali from Calcutta don't support and no Indian Bengali support that. So that hypothesis is void!
India, Pakistan, Bangladesh are seperate entities with seperate people and would always be like that. Period!

Rest of your comments I am fine with.

And regarding Islamic brotherhood and Co operation with Pakistan, that's good!
We are none to comment on that as it's none of our Business!

Well, we Indians never had any problem with taking pride of our people and their achievements, irrespective of their ethnicity or tribe.

Ironically, I found Bangladeshis to be much more concerned about their religious identity than their ethnic identity.

We need to strike a good balance. To much religious fervour can lead to economic stagnation.

What have you West Bengalis against Bangladesh? Most of the crimes against Hindus were done a long time ago by invaders, and then after 1947 until 1971, by Pakistanis. Most Bangladeshis have not mistreated Hindus outside a few isolated incidents, usually carried out by remnants of the pre-1971 regime. I think you West Bengal folk should turn against India and take to the streets, and seek an independent West Bengal. Anything can happen. Just witness the Arab Spring. When people are determined enough, changes can be effected. And when the conditions are right we can then reunite as a bigger, more powerful Bengal nation. We will be one of the world's richest in total GDP. Bangladesh is a fast growing economy and has been included in Goldman Sach's Next11 report they've compiled and also in the Global Growth Generators countries, a separate Citigroup study.

Last edited:
Good, we are making progress. So like I said, once the RAWAMI govt is gone, undo the 'Indian Invasion', redraw maps and God bless you. :tup:

Also please do answer - what name have you thought for Dhaka? There are many many others, but let's start with the capital.
i have not thought of anything yet. i just realized you have really been asking that. why you ask?

What have you West Bengalis have against Bangladesh? Most of the crimes against Hindus were done a long time ago by invaders, and then after 1947 until 1971, by Pakistanis. Most Bangladeshis have not mistreated Hindus outside a few isolated incidents, usually carried out by remnants of the pre-1971 regime. I think you West Bengal folk should turn against India and take to the streets, and seek an independent West Bengal. Anything can happen. Just witness the Arab Spring. When people are determined enough, changes can be effected. And when the conditions are right we can then reunite as a bigger, more powerful Bengal nation. We will be one of the world's richest in total GDP. Bangladesh is a fast growing economy and has been included in Goldman Sach's Next11 report they've compiled and also in the Global Growth Generators countries, a separate Citigroup study.

Haha..... U prosper, grow, good for u!
But we are Indians first and then Bengalis. So we can't and don't want to join u.
We are Indians and you are descendants of Arabs, so we people are way different as well.
Why don't you rejoin Pakistan rather. They will readily accept u. After all you are bound by Islamic brotherhood! We are Hindus.

What I know you guyz and not the Pakistanis started the demand of a seperate nation first in 47. So now why again think of rejoining. Give up that thought!

"Some differences" may not justify invasion of East Bengal by India but following points definitely justified it-

1. Mass murders and rapes of East Bengalis, especially Hindus by West Pakistani forces.
2. Huge influx of impoverished East Bengali refugees into India, putting an intolerable strain on India's already overburdened economy.
3. The aerial bombing of Indian airbases by PAF during Op Chengiz Khan which was the immediate cause of 1971 war.

The thing is because of above facts, East Bengal crisis did not remain an internal matter of Pakistan. In fact, Pakistanis themselves involved India into this (read points 2 & 3).
to 1. mass murder and rape figures were significantly distorted and overinflated to discredit United Pakistan. this has been discussed at lengths on the forum. india already had separatist elements on its payroll for a long time in EP, particularly in leftist parties and among extreme Pak Awami Leaguers, and had been planning to invade any Pakistani territory possible (as we already saw in 1947 and 1965 wars). they used the political instability in East Pakistan in 1970-71 to pull that off.

in fact E. Pakistan/E. Bengal/Bangladesh was doomed from the start – its geography seriously handicapped it and hardly inherited any defence from British era. even if it was an East Pakistan fully separated from West Pak right from the start in '47, India could have still invaded EP and made it into Indian territory or installed a puppet political system essentially to significantly undo the two nation theory.

to 2. Inflated figures and crisis itself was orchestrated by india

to 3. The cause of the 1971 war is rooted in India’s opposition to the existence of its Muslim neighbours as a self-governing country or countries. India was determined to ‘get involved’ in the affairs of its Muslim neighbours. Op Cengiz Khan came looong after India's transgression into United Pakistan

Well, of course partition was a good idea for us Bengalis. It has allowed us to form a nation for our own ethnicity. We don't have to share our country with lots of other ethnicities. You can take more pride of your people when you know almost everyone belongs to the same tribe.
what had 1947 Partition to do with one ethnicity? not only was formation of East Pak/Bangladesh not involving just one ethnicity, the whole history of Muslims of Bengal had a dynamic heterogenous ethnic pool of people

what had 1947 Partition to do with one ethnicity? not only was formation of East Pak/Bangladesh not involving just one ethnicity, the whole history of Muslims of Bengal had a dynamic heterogenous ethnic pool of people

That might be so. Our origins are heterogenous but are now homogenous. All us mainstream Bangladeshis are the same ethnicity. All foreign blood, etc has been absorbed.

We were always 'idhar kay', we were always Indians, we are not like your mohajirs.

Its East Bengalis I'm addressing with.....who falls in deficit of both race and religion politics simultaneously:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom