What's new

Afghan Taliban capture Pakistani soldiers in cross border attack

Fourteen missing Pakistani soldiers traced

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Thursday it had traced 14 soldiers who were among more than 50 reported missing after a weekend Taliban attack on their checkpoint.

Afghan authorities handed the troops to the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad after they crossed the border into eastern Afghanistan, military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said.

“Fourteen soldiers have been handed over in Jalalabad consulate and they are being flown back to Pakistan,” Abbas told AFP.

He said 11 had already returned while the rest remained missing.

Taliban militants attacked the soldiers' Gwar Pari post in Mohmand tribal district on Sunday, according to local administration and security officials.

A Taliban spokesman said its fighters killed seven soldiers and captured 10. But a security official Wednesday refused to confirm the Taliban claims, saying that “we have not seen the bodies”.—AFP

Fourteen missing Pakistani soldiers traced

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Thursday it had traced 14 soldiers who were among more than 50 reported missing after a weekend Taliban attack on their checkpoint.

Afghan authorities handed the troops to the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad after they crossed the border into eastern Afghanistan, military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said.

“Fourteen soldiers have been handed over in Jalalabad consulate and they are being flown back to Pakistan,” Abbas told AFP.

He said 11 had already returned while the rest remained missing.

Taliban militants attacked the soldiers' Gwar Pari post in Mohmand tribal district on Sunday, according to local administration and security officials.

A Taliban spokesman said its fighters killed seven soldiers and captured 10. But a security official Wednesday refused to confirm the Taliban claims, saying that “we have not seen the bodies”.—AFP

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Fourteen missing Pakistani soldiers traced

I am sorry but I dont see why we should be celebrating
its war and these soldiers knew what they were getting into so no excuses
surrender is not an option
because getting captured at the hands of taliban means giving them the pleasure to behead these soldiers and make movies about that.

I have no sympathy for the captured or missing. regardless of the number of Taliban they should have faught and died
so many times these soliders have dropped their weapons and then got executed later on

50 soliders means alteast 1 capiton and 3 or 4 JCO's with atleast 3 or 4 light machine guns and 12.7 heavy machine gun on top.
thats enhough fire power to push back any attack if they are well ditched and determined.

Afghanistan returns 14 missing troops

PESHAWAR: Fourteen of about 40 Pakistani soldiers who went missing after a militant attack on a security checkpost this week have been found in Afghanistan and flown home by helicopter, military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas told Daily Times on Thursday. Afghan authorities handed over the 14 Frontier Corps soldiers to the Pakistani consulate in Jalalabad city. The 14 soldiers include five who were handed over to the consulate in Jalalabad on Wednesday. staff report

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

1100972356-1.gif

Out of 54, 24 are back

because getting captured at the hands of taliban means giving them the pleasure to behead these soldiers and make movies about that.

I have no sympathy for the captured or missing. regardless of the number of Taliban they should have faught and died
so many times these soliders have dropped their weapons and then got executed later on

50 soliders means alteast 1 capiton and 3 or 4 JCO's with atleast 3 or 4 light machine guns and 12.7 heavy machine gun on top.
thats enhough fire power to push back any attack if they are well ditched and determined.

Bro, these soldiers are humen like us, they are not programmed robots, they have feelings, fear, family and everything. i think we shold appreciate their bravery for standing against the inhumen taliban and fight them, it is war, everything happens including being captured. instead of that we should condemn the taliban for their barbarism.

Spoken like a real Keyboard Warrior. This is not a tom Clancy novel, this is reality.

You are talking emotional. In Rah-e-Rast Army retreated from a checkpost after being attack. Later it was found from debrief that more than 400 talib attacked merely 30 to 35 soldiers. Let teh boys come back. Then we'll know what really happend. Dont forget it was these soldiers who liberated the whole area for us by giving their lives.

Afghanistan hands over 14 missing personnel

athar_abbas_608.jpg

The soldiers have been handed over to the Jalalabad consulate and they are being flown back to Pakistan: ISPR. —Reuters Photo

By Fauzee Khan Mohmand
Friday, 18 Jun, 2010

GHALANAI: The Afghan authorities have handed over 14 of the 65 Pakistani soldiers who had gone missing after a militant attack on a border checkpoint on Sunday.

The soldiers are expected to arrive on Friday.

A security official said that a helicopter had been dispatched to Jalalabad, Afghanistan, to bring back the soldiers to Peshawar.

According to last reports, their departure from Jalalabad was delayed because of the arrival of 12 militiamen from Kabul. The soldiers were shifted to Kabul from Kunar. Two of them were kept in Jalalabad, he said.

Another official said that 65 personnel of the Mohmand Rifles had gone missing following Sunday night’s simultaneous attack on border posts at Mattak, Goraparai, Shokarai and Marjhana.

Fourteen of them were taken by their captors to Afghanistan. Officials claimed that 20 others returned to their base camp in Ghalanai.

Militants have returned the bodies of six militiamen after negotiations with a tribal jirga in the border region of Baizai. The body of Subedar Janas Khan was sent to his native town.

The officials admitted that 13 to 15 militiamen were still missing, but said that they might not be captured by militants.

Ikramullah Mohmand, a spokesman for militants, claimed that 10 militiamen had been held hostage and negotiations were being held with a jirga about their fate.

The officials told Dawn that such a high-level attack on Pakistani border posts could not be possible without the help of the Afghan National Army and Afghan border police in Kunar.

They said that Islamabad had on several occasions raised the issue with Kabul and the Nato’s eastern command, but no action had been taken.

“The way the attack was launched with heavy weapons in the dark has all the tell-tale signs of support from the ANA and Afghan border police,” the officials said.

An official at the political administration in Mohmand told Dawn that militants pushed out of Bajaur, Malakand and Swat had taken refuge across the border and were now attacking Pakistani security posts.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Afghanistan hands over 14 missing personnel

Pakistan recovers bodies of six soldiers

June 18, 2010

AFP

Taliban militants have handed over the bodies of six Pakistani soldiers killed in an attack near the Afghan border but the hunt is still on for 34 who remain missing, officials say.

The bodies were handed over to tribal elders late Thursday, taken to a military base in the Mohmand tribal district and sent to their homes after funeral prayers, a military official said on Friday.

Some 34 soldiers are still unaccounted for, he said.

Pakistan recovers bodies of six soldiers

If Afghans accept this reality and agree to become a good neighbor and not be dictated by our arch enemy, then Pakistan also can think about becoming a really good neighbor

It should be mutual, you kick them out, we will kick these beasts out, otherwise this war is gonna keep on going

I suppose by "arch enemy" you must be referring to your friendly eastern neighbour.

You are mistaken in assuming that Afghanistan is anybody's puppet, nor is there any credible reason to believe that India is doing anything other than helping the Afghan people.

Secondly, you cannot dictate what nations Afghanistan should or should not have friendly relations with.

Thirdly, it is not only immoral but also misguided to threaten the Afghans that you will continue to support beasts unless Afghanistan obeys your diktats. You will never be able to control the "beasts" that you are supporting, as the interview posted by Ahmed illustrates:

Insurgent commander tells of links with Pakistani intelligence service | World news | The Guardian

For a Taliban commander fighting well-resourced foreign forces, help from the Pakistani intelligence service is a shameful necessity.

The militant agreed to meet the Guardian in one of Kabul's ritziest restaurants, in a hotel-shopping complex, where he bemoaned the ISI's influence.

"Whoever disrespects your country and interferes in it is your enemy, but sometimes you need to ask for help from your enemies," said the wiry 52-year-old, as he scooped up food with bark-like hands, hardened by his day job as a farmer.

Because of orders "from superiors" to talk to foreign media, he had been prepared to travel by taxi for several hours from his village. He passed easily through the extra security laid on for the second day of President Hamid Karzai's peace jirga – a gathering he said was controlled by the Afghan president's foreign backers and was therefore pointless.

As with the nine Taliban field commanders who met the author of the LSE report on the ISI's connections to the Taliban, he spoke freely about his unease at the role of Pakistan's spy agency, which he blamed for attacks where ordinary Afghans were killed or hurt.

He said: "We do everything we can to avoid civilian causalities. But there are different types of Taliban – there are those like me and there are those that follow direction from the ISI. Those are the kind that kill elders and attack schools. They don't want to have schools in this society. They want to keep Afghanistan in the darkness of no education."

There is no reason to believe that India has anything to do with this latest incident. Every soldier's life is precious, and one feels for their families [although it is hard to sympathize with elements that believe that it is legitimate to kill Indian soldiers in Kashmir.]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom