What's new

Any other Pakistani facing similar problems?

Once while boarding a flight from Dubai to Manchester, an immigration officer (Indian origin) stopped me and after looking at my passport color. Asked me some very ridiculous questions like what is the purpose of your visit, when were you there last time, where would you stay. The questions were even more irritating because he could see my student visa very clearly.

I got so irritated and shouted "I know why are you questioning me; You being an Indian couldn't let go this opportunity"

And guess what, He was shocked and embarassed :lol:

What was ridiculous in the questions asked ?

These are routine questions that are asked by immigration officials world wide. Even at tourist destinations like Maldives are such questions asked. Also being a student is no guarantee against mischief.

As mentioned in post No 9, you should consider yourself lucky.

What was ridiculous in the questions asked ?

These are routine questions that are asked by immigration officials world wide. Even at tourist destinations like Maldives are such questions asked. Also being a student is no guarantee against mischief.

As mentioned in post No 9, you should consider yourself lucky.

Check my edited post. I did not mention the whole incident before.

For all these instances, and generally for immigration checks, please remember that the officials are just trying to do their jobs. Being adversarial never helps. Put yourselves in their position and see how difficult it really is to differentiate the nutcases from the regular folks. With that in mind, being courteous, short and to the point with "yes", "no" and "correct" being most of the limited answers (or simple, short sentences) will make everything quite smooth.

Please ignore these comments if you do not agree with them.

well usually they never stop me... and i do agree its their job so and i was happily answering to each and every question unless they started asking me about Peshawar and if my birth place has any relevance to this city.

Wasn't my first trip either. I came from UK to see my family in Dubai and was going back.

I lived in UK for 3 years and this incident took place while I was residing there.

I found his questioning ridiculous coz he could see my student visa, arrival and departure stamps and every thing etc. And on top of that he took me on the corner and made me wait 20 mins. Also he invited his peers to interrogate me as if i was a illegal immigrant lol

You make it sound like having a student visa makes you untouchable, if anything it's exactly the opposite.

Makes sense. But it would help if they have some general knowledge as well! Try explaining to a German what a Sikh means.

Most of the staff at major airports do know the differences. Sometimes, it is more informative to try and provoke a passenger and see how he/she responds under stress. It is a well know technique. Responding very calmly without rising to the bait always works well.

for me it happened the other way .. on my last business trip to Taipei (Taiwan) and while coming back to Kuwait... i cleared all my immigration formalities like in 5min, but my fellow colleague who happens to be indian (indian pp) was asked the similar set of questions raheel1 mentioned at immigration counter..... btw they r doing their job..

well usually they never stop me... and i do agree its their job so and i was happily answering to each and every question unless they started asking me about Peshawar and if my birth place has any relevance to this city.

Please see my reply above to Vibs (#20).

You make it sound like having a student visa makes you untouchable, if anything it's exactly the opposite.

You know I have always been treated with respect in every airport in UK due to my student visa. No body does it that way he did. You can tell who is asking for his genuine concerns and who is doing it deliberately and taking cheap jabs at you!

I don't buy the argument that these people are just doing their job. For every 4 people 'just doing their job' there is one as*hole who uses it as an opportunity to indulge in racism.

I have known so many people who were needlessly harassed at airports by immigration agents and their supervisor later apologized for the behavior of their colleague. And the racist harassers are just as likely to be black, hispanic, or Asian rather than white.

I don't buy the argument that these people are just doing their job. For every 4 people 'just doing their job' there is one as*hole who uses it as an opportunity to indulge in racism.

I have known so many people who were needlessly harassed at airports by immigration agents and their supervisor later apologized for the behavior of their colleague.
Thats also true

Please see my reply above to Vibs (#20).

I understand my friend and I am not arguing about it

I have travelled by plane for at least 37 times in my life so itna to knowledge hota hi hai

The only little hiccup I ever had in Europe was when scanners at a baggage control picked up something long, pointy and metallic in my cabin baggage. I told them it was only a sword! It was in its sheath, out of an antique shop and meant to put on the wall. Still they made me reroute my sole light bag through hold baggage and waste time collecting it, but the security people seemed awfully amused.

The only little hiccup I ever had in Europe was when scanners at a baggage control picked up something long, pointy and metallic in my cabin baggage. I told them it was only a sword! It was in its sheath, out of an antique shop and meant to put on the wall. Still they made me reroute my sole light bag through hold baggage and waste time collecting it, but the security people seemed awfully amused.

you were carrying sword in the flight :woot:

hahaha nice nice!

You were expecting to travel with a sword in your cabin baggage.. Please tell me this was a sarcastic post (though I fail to see the pun) :azn:

I have been moving around a bit and have faced similar situation dozens of times...Just deal with them as a curious child..give them well thought,concise and easily understandable answers and all will be ok.
I used to take it as a general discussion and engage them in a discussion..and tried to clear their concept..it always worked for me,.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom