What's new

Australian Deputy PM did nothing on attacks on Indians

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Australian Deputy PM did nothing on attacks on Indians

Julia Gillard, then the deputy prime minister of Australia, visited India in 2009 after a series of attacks on Indian students in the country, but the visit was a "wasted opportunity" that did nothing to address the anger in India, according to WikiLeaks cables.

Shabbir Wahid, former Australian consul general to Mumbai, said Gillard spent more time talking to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about educational opportunities rather than the violence against Indian students, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Wahid, a prominent Melbourne businessman, told the US consulate in Melbourne that Australia was missing substantial commercial opportunities in India.

Gillard was also the education minister at that time.

"According to Wahid, Gillard focused too narrowly on her education minister portfolio, coming away from her meeting with PM Singh with only vague commitments," then US Consul General Michael Thurston wrote in a cable from the Melbourne consulate Oct 20, 2009.

A visit by the then Victorian premier John Brumby was "similarly ineffective", the state's treasurer John Lenders said to Thurston.

"High-level visits by Australian officials have had only a limited impact on cooling tempers still hot from a spike in violence," Thurston wrote.

The then foreign minister, Stephen Smith, compared the India-Australia relationship to a 20/20 cricket match, saying: "Short bursts of enthusiasm followed by lengthy periods of inactivity."

According to the cables, Manmohan Singh described India and Australia as "countries with so much in common, but so little to do with one another".

Citing a report by Australia's Tourism Forecasting Committee (TFC), the BBC reported there were more than 70,000 Indians studying in Australia in 2009.

Gillard did nothing on attacks on Indians: WikiLeaks - Hindustan Times

Australians' forefathers were prisoners and thieves. They don't have any culture. How can they respect us ?

Because they are not!!!

Learn to distinguish between real and yellow journalism

I dont know the color codes of journalism. But why didnt he(aussie minister) try to clear up the matter if it is false ?

May be they are good people but whole india is not on pdf right ? they dont have access to your wise counsel !!

Indian students aren't coming to Australia anymore , a dramatic 65% drop in numbers coming to the country. Issue wont be serious anymore.

Another biased article from the racist,biased and unprofessional Indian Media.

There were no series of "Racist" attacks against Indians in Australia. The Indian Media invented the story to get more viewers. This is why Julia Gillard never spoke about the so called "Racist" attacks"

Crime is committed against EVERY single race in Australia, it's got nothing to do with race. It's just normal everyday crime. White people get robbed, black people get robbed, asian people get robbed. Indians need to stop thinking that it's ONLY them that is having crime committed against them.

The Indian media know this, but it won't stop them from making up lies to get more viewers.

Some Indians will no doubt say "OH YES, RACIST ATTACKS EVERYWHERE!" but ask yourselfs this, if there are so called "Racist" attacks happening, why aren't Pakistanis getting attacked? They are the same race pretty much.

I wish the Indian Media would stop making up lies, and i bet the 900,000 + Indian community who live in Australia would also like the Indian media to stop making up lies aswell.

Australians' forefathers were prisoners and thieves. They don't have any culture. How can they respect us ?

Before you decide to speak, you should probably research what you are talking about.

Most Australians forefathers were not prisoners and those that had ancestors who were prisoners were sent here for political crimes (eg, speaking out against the monarchy)

Indian students aren't coming to Australia anymore , a dramatic 65% drop in numbers coming to the country. Issue wont be serious anymore.

Yeh it shows how much lies can do to a countries reputation.

The Indian students are being replaced by Pakistani and Chinese students, so it's ok.

Have a nice day :smitten:

There were no series of "Racist" attacks against Indians in Australia. The Indian Media invented the story to get more viewers. This is why Julia Gillard never spoke about the so called "Racist" attacks"

Crime is committed against EVERY single race in Australia, it's got nothing to do with race. It's just normal everyday crime. White people get robbed, black people get robbed, asian people get robbed. Indians need to stop thinking that it's ONLY them that is having crime committed against them.

The Indian media know this, but it won't stop them from making up lies to get more viewers.

Some Indians will no doubt say "OH YES, RACIST ATTACKS EVERYWHERE!" but ask yourselfs this, if there are so called "Racist" attacks happening, why aren't Pakistanis getting attacked? They are the same race pretty much.

I wish the Indian Media would stop making up lies, and i bet the 900,000 + Indian community who live in Australia would also like the Indian media to stop making up lies aswell.

Before you decide to speak, you should probably research what you are talking about.

Most Australians forefathers were not prisoners and those that had ancestors who were prisoners were sent here for political crimes (eg, speaking out against the monarchy)

I agree with you. Some Indian media has highlighted the reason as well. But most of them keep telling it is racism.
Are you satisfied with the performance of your govt and police force?

I've met some decent australians.. There are however racists in every square inch of "Mother Earth"

Since most of the jobs here in the US are being outsourced to either India or China, I've suddenly seen a sudden increase of prejudice towards Asians in general..

Then again I don't know much about the percentage of Indian students in Australia.. I've heard it's dropped drastically though :frown:

Yeh it shows how much lies can do to a countries reputation.

The Indian students are being replaced by Pakistani and Chinese students, so it's ok.

Have a nice day :smitten:

Err..... Did you bother reading the article? It was a reporting of a conversation between U.S. diplomats & a former Australian Consul General. Where do Indians come into the picture? This is from wikileaks and the cable was reported in the Indian press. There is absolutely no editoralising in the above article. If you don't like what was said, take it up with your citizen who has been quoted above. While I agree that Indian media reporting on the attacks on its citizens in Australia are frequently over the top( & quite brainless actually), this is not such a case.

Back
Top Bottom