What's new

Capability jump: IAF looks to buy fifth-generation F-35 fighter

I know. That's why I said Su57. Since 'everyone' knows that's fact. I'm tired of calling it FGFA since it's a generic term.

But anyway, the joint project is now called PMF. Perspective Multi-role Fighter. A fighter that India will have equal rights on. At least that's the idea.

I just find Su57 easy, since we're all experts here.:crazy_pilot:
Is PMF is based on Su57 bro

I would love for India to go for F35. This would spell the end for FGFA(PAK-FA) joint venture. Russia, which was already reportedly unwilling to share some high end sensitive tech with India would become even less inclined to do so after seeing billions of dollars being used for F35 instead of going to Russia. On the other hand, unlike in the case of F16, the Americans(and other partners in F35 program) wouldn't want to share their top of the line 5th gen tech with India. So it would just end up being an off the shelf purchase with no ToT of any sort. Their might be some tech that may still come from the Russians bcuz of the money India had put up for PAK-FA project but it wouldn't really count for much.

The F-35 deal, if it happens, will be separate and independent from the FGFA.

9 sqd of 14 A/C= 126.

Thats 3 wings basically.

6 squadrons of 21 aircraft each, including reserve and TACDE.

From 126 MRCA from 2002 to dreaming on F-35 orders. :D

Any idea why the IAF thread from 2018 was merged with some ancient irrelevant thread about the IN from 2010?

This new information obviously deserves a new thread.

Any idea why the IAF thread from 2018 was merged with some ancient irrelevant thread about the IN from 2010?

This new information obviously deserves a new thread.
Create a thread in GHQ with proper links. IDK.

I know. That's why I said Su57. Since 'everyone' knows that's fact. I'm tired of calling it FGFA since it's a generic term.

But anyway, the joint project is now called PMF. Perspective Multi-role Fighter. A fighter that India will have equal rights on. At least that's the idea.

I just find Su57 easy, since we're all experts here.:crazy_pilot:

FGFA won't carry the Su-57 designation, it's a different aircraft and will carry a different designation.

PMF is the Russian project name for the FGFA, which is India's official project name.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-project-with-russia/articleshow/61189233.cms
"The impact of the project will be very positive. FGFA (Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft) is my dream, I am hopeful about it," Raju told reporters on the sidelines of an event.

Since the HAL Chief is using the term FGFA, we should as well.

Create a thread in GHQ with proper links. IDK.

I did. How about just deleting the OP and renaming the thread with the same title as the article?

The F-35 deal, if it happens, will be separate and independent from the FGFA.
How do u know that? Any official statement claiming that both will happen? Or is it just ur opinion? If it's just ur opinion then there's a few things to consider...

1) If F35 is selected and 126 of those are acquired(as the article suggests), it would be expensive...a deal costing IAF billions. Would that leave enough money for FGFA to run in parallel?

2) What use would IAF have of two platforms(F35 and FGFA) of the same generation for the same roles? It would be like going for Rafale and Typhoon...wouldn't IAF want to better utilize its funds and use it on some other project?

I would love for India to go for F35. This would spell the end for FGFA(PAK-FA) joint venture. Russia, which was already reportedly unwilling to share some high end sensitive tech with India would become even less inclined to do so after seeing billions of dollars being used for F35 instead of going to Russia. On the other hand, unlike in the case of F16, the Americans(and other partners in F35 program) wouldn't want to share their top of the line 5th gen tech with India. So it would just end up being an off the shelf purchase with no ToT of any sort. Their might be some tech that may still come from the Russians bcuz of the money India had put up for PAK-FA project but it wouldn't really count for much.

India is willing to buy the PAK-FA. Russia is unable to develop it in the timeframe asked

India is willing to buy the PAK-FA. Russia is unable to develop it in the timeframe asked
Yes I am aware of this. I was just mentioning a scenario where India opts for F35 alternatively as the article suggests.

How do u know that? Any official statement claiming that both will happen? Or is it just ur opinion? If it's just ur opinion then there's a few things to consider...

1) If F35 is selected and 126 of those are acquired(as the article suggests), it would be expensive...a deal costing IAF billions. Would that leave enough money for FGFA to run in parallel?

2) What use would IAF have of two platforms(F35 and FGFA) of the same generation for the same roles? It would be like going for Rafale and Typhoon...wouldn't IAF want to better utilize its funds and use it on some other project?

The 126 number is likely Shukla's opinion. The only news of value in the article is the IAF has asked for a classified briefing. My opinion is in case something like this happens, it will be similar to Rafale GTG with 2 or 3 squadrons in the first tranche. The IAF may release information on numbers if they decide they will buy it.

F-35 and FGFA are not in the same class and will not perform the same roles. No different from the US operating the F-22 and F-35.

If the F-35 deal happens, then it will come into play before the FGFA is inducted. So we could see discussion followed by contract signature by 2020-21 and deliveries from 2023 or 2024. FGFA could take as long as 2028 or even 2030 for the first squadron. It's already 2018 with no signature yet and the R&D program is at least 8 years long.

If the F-35 does go up to 126 jets, it will likely include indigenous production and will replace the SE MII program. So it will replace the need for F-16/Gripen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom