What's new

China rolls out AWACS aircrafts for Pakistan Air Force

The Pakistan Air Force has received its first Chinese-built ZDK-03 AWACS aircraft.

November 15: The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) received its first Chinese-built ZDK-03 Advanced Warning & Control Systems (AWACS) aircraft on November 13 at a ceremony at Hanzhong in China attended by Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, Chief of the Air Staff for the PAF.

CETC of China is building four aircraft for the PAF from a $278 million (€204 million) contract signed in 2008. The ZDK-03 is a variant of the Shaanxi Y-8, itself a derivative of the Soviet-designed Antonov An-12 transport aircraft and has a Chinese Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, reported to have a greater range than that of the PAF's Saab 2000 Erieye system.

AFI

what is there to argue about!

I hope this will shut many noisy mouths.
Sir FatMan, whats the source of this article ?

Sir, can you be more specific about which article are you talking as i did not saw any article saying anything like that.

Help out if possible to that specific part which you are talking about.

All i could see was one member, saying it, that KJ-200 was not being given for export, nothing official to back it up, rather it was his speculation that this may be the reason.

Thanks for correcting me brother, i may have missed the speculation part and thought it was an actual article.

Now that is setting few lines straight.. if Pakistan has got this AESA thing, which we do, and with transfer of tech as reported (to whatever degree but I presume upto a level that we needed) the AESA Radar for JFTs is more rational and nearer down the road! :tup::pakistan:

RATIONALE OF BUYING ZDK-03 OVER KJ-200 ?

On the issue of inferiority vs the KJ-200
[ZDK-03, conventional rotadome doppler radar, not the more modern advanced AESA types]

SPECULATIONS;

After some negotiations a much improved design has been under development based on PAF's specifications -- The variant is now dubbed ZDK-03 and is based on the new Y-8 Category III Platform featuring 6-blade propellers.

At a cost of $278 for 4 aircraft, ie $70million for each ZDK-03, it represents fantastic value for money--alongwith tot

ZDK-03 was a redunancy for eyree

Chinese were not willing to export the KJ-200

using IL-78 meant heavy maintenance which kept PAF away from IL-78 and more interested in turboprop platform

guys , i guess my post spawned all this debate-- im sorry--

these are merely ''speculations'' being discussed on different forums and no senior official has yet commented on it , some speculations might be purely wrong , others outdated ,i only wanted sir pshamim/ sir murad etc to give there practical input on it

Do Saab Erieye have AESA radar?

yes .. . .. . . . . .
The Erieye radar system, is an Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) developed by Saab Microwave Systems (formerly Ericsson Microwave Systems) of Sweden. It is based on the Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA). The Erieye is used on a variety of aircraft platforms, such as the Brazilian Embraer E-99 or EMB-145. It has recently been implemented on the Saab 2000 aircraft.
link . . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erieye_radar

so if china can build an AESA radar for AEW&C

how much time china will take to build an AESA radar for J-10B and JF-17....?

:china::pakistan::china::pakistan::china:

Last edited:
Congratulation Pakistan , it is indeed an achievement. Keep doing good work .:yahoo:

Sir, you are clearly delusional. 278M for a total of FOUR planes SIGNED in 2009! Today is 2010 sir! and the first delivery is expected end of 2010! What is so hard to understand?

You sir, are in denial!

First of four Pak-Chinese ZDK-03 Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) Karakoram Eagle for the Pakistan Air Force was displayed in a rollout ceremony was held at Hanzhong in China. Pakistan Air Force’s chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman was the guest of honor for this ceremony at this ceremony. It was also attended by the Commander of the PLA Air Force and other military and civil officials from the China.

Pakistan Air Force signed an agreement for the joint development of four ZDK-03 AEW&C aircraft Karakoram Eagle which were to be configured to meet Pakistan's specifications in 2008 with China Electronics Technology Group Corporation.

The ZDK-03 AEW&C is specifically designed to meet the requirements of the Pakistani airforce. It has very advance AESA radar along with other sensors and communications equipment. This arrangement is similar to the one being used by the E-2C/D Hawkeye Airborne Early Warning Aircraft used by the USN.

This arrangement will allow ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle to provide 360º radar coverage. Air Chief Marshal Suleman has said that this event as "another milestone in the exemplary history of cooperation between Pakistan and China”. This AEW&C aircraft will strengthen the PAF's capabilities to maintain "peace with honour in the region".

Generally speaking ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle is very much similar to the P-3 Orion aircraft fitted with the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 Airborne Early Warning (AEW) suite which were offered to the Pakistan Navy. ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle will offer PAF with long-range, high endurance and extra internal space for the equipment and personal when compared to the Saab-2000 AEW&C Erieye.

After the development of the KJ-2000 AWACS which is based on the IL-76 military transport aircraft and KJ-200 Balance Beam AEW&C based on Chinese Y08 aircraft in 2001/02, development of the a type of AEW&C aircraft was revealed in 2005. This AEW&C aircraft like KJ-200 is also based on Y-8 Turboprop Transport Aircraft. This AEW&C was based on the Y-8F400 airframe and it was equipped with the conventional rotodome mounted above the fuselage to carry the Radar for Early warning.

The Y-8F-400 aircraft was an improvement over the older Y-8 models. ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle is based on the Y-8F600 which is the most advance variant of the Y-8 aircraft . This version of y-8 has been extensively upgraded with modern technologies including turboprop engine and avionics.

The Y-8F600 is also called “Category-III Platform” which can be used as platform for the airborne early warning, ELINT) or as a maritime patrol aircraft. Y-8F600 features new advanced glass cockpit which only requires only crew of two to operate. Compared to earlier versions Y-8F600 offers significant improvement in the take-off performance from hot and high airports and high altitude cruise performance, reduced noise levels.

Chinese KJ-2000 AWACS based on the IL-76 carries AESA Radar within its fixed rotodome in a triangular arrangement to provide a 360 degree coverage, on the other hand ZDK03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle have a conventional rotating rotodome very much like that of E-3 and E-2C/D to provide a 360 degree coverage.

ZDK-03 AEW&C Karakoram Eagle has single active electronically steered array radar from the Chinese KJ-2000 which is mounted on a turboprop-powered Y-8F600 in a rotating rotodome. It was because of the high performance and low cost of this AEW&C system after joing Pak-China upgrade that forced PAF to reduce its order for the Saab-2000 AEW&C Eireye from 6 to 4 systems.

Pakistan Military Review: Pakistan Military Review: China Rolls out First of Four ZDK03 AEW&C Aircrafts 'Karakoram Eagle' for Pakistan Air Force

IT HAS A SINGLE AESA RADAR!!!!!! FROM KJ-2000!!!
BUT KJ-2000 USES 3 RADARS, BECAUSE ITS ROTODOME DOES NOT MOVE AND THATS WHY IT ALSO HAS HIGH PRICE TAG!!!!!!!!!

HOPEFULLY THIS CLEARED UR BRAIN A LITTLE...

u guyz are fighting with those who even called Su30 MKI is better thn F22 lol and call them self super power even they are not capable to take any action without 5 world's top power lol

man enjOy we got what we need either its cheap or expensive...

hehehehhe our discussion never harm PAKISTAN AIRFORCE! chill maroo

They dont harm the airforce.. but they do tarnish the reputation of this forum.. since their perverted and conceited repeated posts end up leaving even the most composed members to lose it.. since it detracts from constructive discussions.
Its better to "agree to disagree"..and leave..rather than behave like the bad bahu's of Indian soap opera's.:lol:

oh flyinghawkwings where art thou my dear?????
i was a bit late on the thread and as i was reading through from the start and going past ur posts seeing u trying to enrage taimi khan i knew a slam shut was coming ur way and behold here it is thanx to sir fatman........but i must say i miss u and wud like, correction LOVE to hear from u :cry::rofl:

oh flyinghawkwings where art thou my dear?????
i was a bit late on the thread and as i was reading through from the start and going past ur posts seeing u trying to enrage taimi khan i knew a slam shut was coming ur way and behold here it is thanx to sir fatman........but i must say i miss u and wud like, correction LOVE to hear from u :cry::rofl:

Wow.. you said all of that in one go.. :lol:
:tup:

ok lets move forward, I hope now AESA problem is solved

Back
Top Bottom