What's new

Could a Turkish Landing Ship Tank save the US Army in the tilt to the Pacific?

Bismarck

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I was making a swing around the internet this morning and ran across this story from Defense News.
The impetus to find scant dollars in budgets that have already squeezed out once-critical programs like the Ground Combat Vehicle is, of course, Washington’s strategic rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region.
The Army operates several varieties of watercraft and logistics ships from tugboats to large Logistics Support Vessels, but at issue are the four-decade-old Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) ships that can operate from ship to shore, carrying troops and equipment up to the weight of five Abrams tanks.
The service issued a request for information to industry for the program in early 2013 that it is calling the Maneuver Support Vessel-Light. Read the entire story but my question is this. Is the US Army thinking too small? Some believe that for the near term, the US is going to mainly build relationships, conduct tons of exercises, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

With that being said a couple of ships that can sail together carrying a Brigade Combat Team (-) might be just what the Army needs to get back in the "relevancy" game. For war you would link up with the Navy but for operations other than they could ferry the US Army around the region.

With that being said wouldn't the SNR Tank Landing Ship be a better fit than an LCM? More info on the LST is here.

And if the Army is just stuck on a LCM type vessel then how about something with a bit of speed behind it like the TCG C-155 also from a Turkish Shipyard? Read about this vessel here (make sure to take a look at their proposal for a LST under naval projects).

SNAFU!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you saying? Btw, a nice page.

I was making a swing around the internet this morning and ran across this story from Defense News.
The impetus to find scant dollars in budgets that have already squeezed out once-critical programs like the Ground Combat Vehicle is, of course, Washington’s strategic rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region.
The Army operates several varieties of watercraft and logistics ships from tugboats to large Logistics Support Vessels, but at issue are the four-decade-old Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) ships that can operate from ship to shore, carrying troops and equipment up to the weight of five Abrams tanks.
The service issued a request for information to industry for the program in early 2013 that it is calling the Maneuver Support Vessel-Light. Read the entire story but my question is this. Is the US Army thinking too small? Some believe that for the near term, the US is going to mainly build relationships, conduct tons of exercises, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

With that being said a couple of ships that can sail together carrying a Brigade Combat Team (-) might be just what the Army needs to get back in the "relevancy" game. For war you would link up with the Navy but for operations other than they could ferry the US Army around the region.

With that being said wouldn't the SNR Tank Landing Ship be a better fit than an LCM? More info on the LST is here.

And if the Army is just stuck on a LCM type vessel then how about something with a bit of speed behind it like the TCG C-155 also from a Turkish Shipyard? Read about this vessel here (make sure to take a look at their proposal for a LST under naval projects).

SNAFU!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you saying? Btw, a nice page.
The U.S has to cooperate more with other countries when it comes to international issues because they eventually have to do something about their debt problem. They also know that the American people are tired of war meaning that they cant involved in many more in the short term. Prime examples of this change in U.S strategy was the Libyan Civil war, and allowing the Saudis to conduct operations in Bahrain.

Mark my words @Kaan , in 20 years there will be a war between the USA and China. The war is coming and inevitable.

The comments on the article is quite interesting...

We should check slope of shore in pasific region generally, those ships meant to do landing in aegean and mediterrenean also seakeeping at full loads are checked for this region, for pasific a lower draft might be needed.
since there is no a matter called " patenting" for ship's designing USA just can take a look its design and built it in USA but as i said there is a lot modification needed and conceptually only our LST LCT s can be a solution for them .
ADİK also responsible for production 2 LST beside 8 LCT http://www.adik.com.tr/defaulten.asp?s=9&id=2
One more note a front doored vessels remind me always a Passenger ship was broken apart during sail :) MS Estonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
M/S Estonia sunk due to failure on bow door.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom