What's new

Does Turkey need Aircraft-Carrier?

i think turkey must buy or build large LPD's which can carry helicopters,f-35b instead of a dedicated AC,LPD are cost effective providing amphibious capability as well as fleet air defence and strike capabilities.similar to australias LHD that navantia is proposing.

Yea Turkey is getting some "helicopter carrier" kinda ship.
Also they are developing these by theirself?
Also they got 3 bids from south korea,italy and other country i can't remember.
For 1 light aircraft carrier.

I might be wrong.Correct me.

Hello people.

I was wondering if Turkey needs Aircraft-Carrier?
Yes? No?
Why?

To strengthen NATO's south flank, I think both Greece and Turkey could do with a strategic projection ship like Spain has adopted backed by a ship like the new Dutch JSS, given their current level of amphibous assault capability. Portugal could do with just an JSS. DO any of these countries really need this equipment? No (but we can dream).

Yea Turkey is getting some "helicopter carrier" kinda ship.
Also they are developing these by theirself?
Also they got 3 bids from south korea,italy and other country i can't remember.
For 1 light aircraft carrier.

I might be wrong.Correct me.

Turkey's Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (Savunma Sanayii Müstesarligi - SSM) has issued a request for proposals (RfP) to seven local shipyards for the construction of a landing platform dock (LPD) vessel for the Turkish Naval Forces.

ADIK, Çelik Tekne, Dearsan Shipyard, Desan Shipyard, Istanbul Shipyard, RMK Marine and SEDEF received the RfP in February and have been given nine months to develop their tender responses.

The LPD requirement calls for a logistically self-sustaining amphibious vessel able to transport, sustain and land a battalion-size force in the Aegean, Mediterranean and Black Sea operating areas. The ship will also have a secondary humanitarian relief role.

While the SSM is looking to grow an indigenous naval design and build capability across local shipyards, the complex and unique nature of the LPD project has led officials to opt for a more conservative procurement strategy that allows Turkish industry to bid a solution based on a proven off-the-shelf design. This means that local shipyards are free to team with an overseas yard or design house, either through a licence or subcontract arrangement or in a joint venture.

By Richard Scott, 17 March 2010
Turkey moves ahead with LPD acquisition plan

This is to inform you that 1 (one) Landing Platform Dock (LPD) together with:

- 4 (four) Landing Craft Mechanics (LCM),
- 27 (twenty seven) Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAV),
- 2 (two) Landing Craft Personnel Vehicles (LCVP),
- 1 (one) Commander Boat and
- 1 (one) RHIB (Rubber Hull Inflated Boat),

will be procured by Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM) to meet the Turkish Naval Forces Command's requirements.
http://www.****************/turkey-launches-landing-platform-dock-lpd-project-11373/

Plans to build a total of four TF-2000 class AAW frigates, the acquisition of a Landing Platform Dock (LPD) and a total of six Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) submarines were approved by the Turkish Ministry of Defense on 12 December 2006.

Italy's Fincantieri proposed an LPD concept for the Turkish Navy at the IDEF 2007 military fair in Ankara. Other strong contenders include the Dokdo class (LPX) designed by Hanjin Heavy Industries of South Korea, the Canberra/Juan Carlos and Galicia classes designed by Navantia of Spain, and the San Antonio class designed by Northrop Grumman of the United States.
StateMaster - Encyclopedia: Turkish Navy

Spain's Galicia = Dutch Rotterdam = UK Bay class
Another obvious contender: France's Mistral (might make for nice equipment commonality with Russia's Black Sea fleet in future ;-)

In that money turkey can buy other stuff that more effective.
A Aircraft-Carrie cost alot of money between 5blions$-10blions$
Imagine how match tanks and new artillery turky can buy with that.
Also turkey use old f-4 and f16c it should be upgrated ,f-35 it is a good thing but turkey going to buy only 75-100 and some of the f16c will still be in use.If turkey want that the Aircraft-Carrie well be operational it cost alot of money every year.
And also turky enemys are not far away from turkey

Last edited:
Penguin: thanks for clearing that up.

Adir: Turkish Altay tank which will add 1000tanks to Turkish army. Together with some leopards 2a4(slightly modernized by turkey self).
And some sabra tanks heavily upgraded by Israel.
Is enough i think.
Yea f-4 is old.. some of them are used for advanced training.
Turkish f16c/d are all going to be 50/52+ blocks with the CCIP program.
f35 will be 116(100% produce lincense like f16) and 40 mre optional.

Plus Turkey is doing extremely good with economic.
I dont see why it shouldn't be payable(dont know if thats a word) for an aircraft carrier.
And yes the enemies are close.
To be honest Turkey dont really need them.
But it could motivate the troops and some prestige boost?

What if Hellenic navy gets those Aircraft Carrier?

And what are the plans of turkey to get subs?
Because the Milgem project don't include subs as far as i know.

Isn't Greece and Turkey members of NATO?
As per NATO rules, isnt it obligatory for other NATO members to come to the help of a NATO member which has been attacked?

Penguin: thanks for clearing that up.

Adir: Turkish Altay tank which will add 1000tanks to Turkish army. Together with some leopards 2a4(slightly modernized by turkey self).
And some sabra tanks heavily upgraded by Israel.
Is enough i think.
Turkish f16c/d are all going to be 50/52+ blocks with the CCIP program.
f35 will be 116(100% produce lincense like f16) and 40 mre optional.

Plus Turkey is doing extremely good with economic.
I dont see why it shouldn't be payable(dont know if thats a word) for an aircraft carrier.
And yes the enemies are close.
To be honest Turkey dont really need them.
But it could motivate the troops and some prestige boost?

In that money turkey can buy 2 or 3 nucler submarins,nucler submarine (a sub that the fuel of the sub is from a nucler reactor)without nucler wepond in the sub.This sub can stay 3 to 6 months without refueling.If turkey will have this baby no-one will think to cross turkey water territory.It is more useful then a aircraft carrier.

"But it could motivate the troops and some prestige boost"
army is not for prestige my friend.
:drag:

But does turkey have those nuclear fuel?
If they can get it very easily.
Why dont they get it?
And what makes submarine running on nuclear fuel so powerful?

Well high prestige can shut enemies mouth.

The F-4 has been flown by the defense forces of 11 other nations besides the US (Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps): Australia (24), Egypt (45), Germany (263), Great Britain (181), Greece (121), Iran (225), Israel (268), Japan (154), South Korea (222), Spain (58) and Turkey (233) . It remains in active service in several nations around the world today, including (with 2008 inventory): Egypt (34), Germany (59), Greece (53), Iran (65), Japan (117), South Korea (138), and Turkey (165).

DATE:09/03/10
SOURCE:Flight International

Turkey accepts first Aselsan-modified F-4E Phantom
By Tolga Ozbek

The Turkish air force has received its first of 16 McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantoms to be upgraded under a $24 million deal with local supplier Aselsan.

Dubbed Simsek (Lightning), the project will equip the strike aircraft with new avionics, navigation and secure digital communications equipment, plus replacement flight software and improved mission planning equipment. Related structural renovation work is being conducted by the air force's 1st air supply and maintenance centre in Eskisehir.

The effort follows an earlier project to modernise some of the air force's reconnaissance-configured RF-4Es, which delivered its first aircraft last year.

"The F-4E has been operated in Turkey since 1974, and with this modernisation it will be safer and more efficient," says air force commander Gen Hasan Aksay.

Turkey signed its first Phantom upgrade in 1994, selecting Israel Aerospace Industries to modify 54 aircraft as F-4E 2020 Terminators. Deliveries of the improved model started in 2000, and it is now operated by the air force's 111 Sqn in Eskisehir, 132 Sqn in Konya and 171 Sqn in Malatya.

The Turkish air force has 161 F/RF-4Es in its active inventory, as recorded in Flightglobal's MiliCAS database.

Isn't Greece and Turkey members of NATO?
As per NATO rules, isnt it obligatory for other NATO members to come to the help of a NATO member which has been attacked?

Yes, both are NATO members. The rule you pointed out makes for an interesting case: if Turkey and Greece go to war, then other NATO-members are obliged to come to the help of both countries?

Thanks Penguin for the information.
I will go to Turkey in summer.
I will be landing on Konya military air base.
Nice base there alot of f16 and f4 indeed.

And if Turkey and Greece go in war(probaly turkey will be agressor) then Noone would support.
Maybe some aid help or something for the civilians.

It really pisses me off..
Turkey can't really expand their navy by great numbers due to lack of waters.
I wish Turkey attacked Greece after 2 treats to capture half of Aegean sea.
Then Turkey wouldn't have these problems.

I think we don't need.. Sometimes i believe we have one big carrier in the Mediterranean Sea... :D :D it's much much better than everything !!

LPD will do fine for us. But a Aircraft-Carrier would be nice.

Or turkey builds those nuclear reactors.
so we can produce nuclear weapons?:O
Or nuclear armed subs.. aircraft carriers?
warships?
f35 with nuclear armed weapons?
NUCLEAR:p

Back
Top Bottom