What's new

Elections 2008

I always thought the 2002 Elections were very fair as well, all the parties did well in their respective areas with MMA being the surprise. President Musharraf was very popular then.

PPP and PML-Q shared the votes with 25% each but because of the constituencies PML-Q ended up with more seats.

its not really understandable what and why was it was importatant for musharaf, that he let BANAZIR AND NWAZSHARIF comeback into pakistani politics?

This doesnt make sense. It is better to have a non corrupt leader surrounded by corrupt people, than a courrpt leader also surrounded by corrupt people. There will be less abuse of the system that way. Additionally, an uncorrupt leader will not take on corrupt people if he is truly corrupt unless he's forced into it..it's like the coalition with the MMA..it wasn't wanted, but it was necessary..

Most sane people would say that it is better to have an uncorrupt leader and an uncorrupt govt.

I wonder how well the "islamic" parties will do without govt backing

I think the observers have mentioned it's an unrigged election..for the first time in Pakistan's history - the only other one being the 1970 elections..oddly enough the military was in charge then too..

Musharaff was not going to get away with rigging the elections with the whole world watching even if he wanted to.

It's still ludicrous how anyone can vote for Zardari,.

Let elections keep taking place when there supposed to and the people will eventually learn there lesson for voting for the wrong people.
You vote the wrong person in and he does nothing for the people....tuff....next time dont vote him/her into power.
You deserve what you get....but at least with free elections we can throw the ruler out if we dont like there policies.

One has to pick Musharraf, even over Nawaz Sharif. .

NO...just you and a minority in pakistan would support Musharraf over Nawaz Sharif...........that viewpoint is going of the election results so far.

Your thinking is lacklustre like those who vote for Zardari also.

lacklustre........nice word to explain the election results so far for Musharraf mob.

And I agree with you...to me as his supporter, his mistake has been the appointment of the thieves like the Ch. brothers...to me there is no difference in them and the likes of BB, NS, Zardari etc..

they lost becuz they were associated with Musharaff

ISLAMABAD: Elections 2008 came with myriads of changes in its lap with great images in the national politics crashed to the ground, as Pakistan Muslim League head Chaudhry Shujaat Hussein and the former federal Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed were defeated in their respective strongholds.:victory::smitten::enjoy:

According to the details, former federal minister and former PPP Secretary General Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar defeated the former ruling PM-Q Chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussein with a wide margin of at least 13293 votes.

Two other candidates Alhaaj Mirza Saeed Baig and Chaudhry Gul Nawaz were also contesting from the same constituency, but they could not pocket any vote.

Another personality charisma was defeated in Rawalpindi, where Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) defeated Sheikh Rashid.

There's still a very long way to go in the elections. It's not over at all

Musharraf looks to be leading in Punjab there.

Most sane people would say that it is better to have an uncorrupt leader and an uncorrupt govt.

No government in Pakistan will be uncorrupted. That's an impossible vision. An uncorrupt leader and a little bit of crookedness in the party is normal.

Musharaff was not going to get away with rigging the elections with the whole world watching even if he wanted to.

But Musharraf did not have to invite in the observers. He could have banned them like Bhutto did in the 90s, and Nawaz Sharif.

Let elections keep taking place when there supposed to and the people will eventually learn there lesson for voting for the wrong people.
You vote the wrong person in and he does nothing for the people....tuff....next time dont vote him/her into power.
You deserve what you get....but at least with free elections we can throw the ruler out if we dont like there policies.

That's not how democracy works in Pakistan. It is still feudal in several areas with people being either told how to vote, or being bribed. A lot of people don't have tv or internet to get data from. Sardari systems cannot work in elections, plus with so many illiterate people, how can they get information? They need to rely on other people's word. That is why it does not work as you say it would.

NO...just you and a minority in pakistan would support Musharraf over Nawaz Sharif...........that viewpoint is going of the election results so far.

I think you're jumping the gun here. But Nawaz Sharif was hugely corrupt. Ask any educated Pakistani. Are they all wrong?

lacklustre........nice word to explain the election results so far for Musharraf mob.

The election results have only just started. There's another 200+ seats to count up.

I got it as Musharraf on 23 seats in Punjab, "The Lion" on 7 seats, and "Mr 10%" with 13 seats.

Its very very difficult to say about Election 2008, but MMLN & PPPP are in Majority...

I haven't seen any evidence for this..but then can never trust Pak media. I'm going on the map evidence. And that has Musharraf leading in Punjab clearly.

I haven't seen any evidence for this..but then can never trust Pak media. I'm going on the map evidence. And that has Musharraf leading in Punjab clearly.

I see far more blue and red districts in Punjab on that map up there :what:

PML-Q has lost it big time.. by sometimes such a freaking close margin.

We might end up seeing Musharraf with PML-Q, PPPP, MQM

OR

Nawaz with PPPP.

This is the funny side of elections 2008:

7-year-old voter thanks NADRA​

KARACHI: Seven-year old Akbar Ali was given the right to vote by the National Database Regulatory Authority (NADRA). Ali is a student of class one at St. Patrick’s High School. During a visit to the different constituencies Monday to observe the elections Daily Times learnt that this was unique case in Ratan Talaw with in the jurisdiction of the Preedy police station in NA-250 and PS-112. In a photocopy of the voter list that was given to polling agents at polling station number 292 (Government Boys School Ratan Talaw) vote No. 18 on page No. 23 in book No. 117,220,106 presented Ali as a voter. “There were a hundred other mistakes such as when Nazia turned into Niaz but this mistake was a proof of all other mistakes,” a polling agent said. amar guriro

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

So exactly how are you or those supporting Nawaz Sharif and Zardari any different from those of us who want Musharraf to stay on? You also want more of the same...in our case, at least there was some progress, in the case of NS at least, the country's growth was retarded and I have no dillusions that things would be any different this time around under him or Zardari (Amin Fahim? Well lets see, I would give him a chance even though he is from the same feudal aristocracy that has plagued Pakistan). By the way, I could have bought your argument had NS or Zardari been newbies on the scene but they are not, they have been tried and rejected (twice directly and indirectly)...also the majority in Pakistan can go jump in the lake and that does not make for a smart thing to do...so this talk of majority vs. minority is as flawed as hoping that change for the sake of change is good.

It seems Pakistanis for the foreseeable future will continue to be bitten twice, thrice and only God knows how many times more by the same old crooks running around...but I am fine with it if that is what the majority wants. I prefer to remain with the minority.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom