What's new

How should Pakistanis view the Mughals?

Well yes. The Pakistani cuisine has a more central asian origin than south asian origin and yes the Mongols enabled that not Mughals if one has to be blunt.
Might as well add Russians and Chinese to the list!! Since when did Mongol eat baryani, beef nahari, kabobs. Which Mongol ruled over India?

Everything note worthy in Pakistan and Indian Muslim has to claim is the legacy of Mughal Empire. Art, culture, language, food even their conversation to Islam.

I respect your view, but it doesn't apply to Pashtun and Baloch people.

From reading this thread it seems to me that if you scratch some Pakistanis a Hindu emerges from underneath.

It’s not what I was expecting. There seems to be a high degree of common sentiment with Indians. Modi is also rewriting Indian history to demonize and eliminate Muslim history and create a fantasy account of Hindu history. Many Pakistani ethno-nationalists seem to be driven by the same sentiment.

Why is Modi so scared of history textbooks?

Mughals are a part of Pakistan.

Hilarious when a Lahori is saying this. They basically built all the beautiful places in Lahore.

GT Road

And the cuisine…

Come one man, what kinda peanut butter jelly weirdo shit is this thread?

Mughals are a part of Pakistan.

Hilarious when a Lahori is saying this. They basically built all the beautiful places in Lahore.

GT Road

And the cuisine…

Come one man, what kinda peanut butter jelly weirdo thread is this?
Dude I am not MAKING ANY claim on this thread, I just read some differing opinions on em from different quarters of pak SM and than shared a personal account - which is not representative of pakistanis in anyway

This is just a discussion post on what kinda relationship should the people and state of Pakistan have with Mughalai history- my personal opinion was I feel neutral towards, I don't big em up nor do I dislike em
Although I deeply respect extra ordinary generals, prime ministers, ministers, governor's from our region

If we open a thread on em you'll be surprised to see such figures who achieved legendary feats especially our generals and prime ministers

But in this thread I wanted to know the general opinions of people on this forum

Last edited:
Dude I am not MAKING ANY claim on this thread, I just read some differing opinions on em from different quarters on SM and than shared a personal account - which is not representative of pakistanis in anyway

This is just a discussion post on what kinda relationship should the people and state of Pakistan have with Mughalai history

Mughal badshahi ended. Their ancestors today have green passport. What is there to say?

Our history is thousands of years old. Why is there an obsession with Mughals who were here for just two to three hundred years? It means nothing significant in historical timeline. Move the hell on.

Mughal Hindustan was the largest economy in the world during Mughal times, along with China. They were much richer than the Ottomans, the next largest Muslim empire.

All our culture derives from them, including culture, language, food, dress, art, architecture etc. Why should we not be proud of the most fabulous times of Muslim history in South Asia?

Mughal armies used to win ALL battles, as opposed to none now. They fought few battles really, because when the Mughal army moved into battle the Hindus used to vanish.

By the way, Mughal and Mongol are the same thing. Babur was a Muslim descendent of Genghis Khan and came from Samarkand, which is now in Uzbekistan. The early Mughals were Mongols and their mother tongue was Turkish, but the official language in Delhi was Persian. Therefore they spoke both languages.

Here's a video of the world GDP from the year 1600. Previous to that also, Muslim Hindustan was the largest economy along with China. It was destroyed after the coming of the British.

Last edited:
Mughal Hindustan was the largest economy in the world during Mughal times, along with China. They were much richer than the Ottomans, the next largest Muslim empire.

All our culture derives from them, including culture, language, food, dress, art, architecture etc. Why should we not be proud of the most fabulous times of Muslim history in South Asia?

Mughal armies used to win ALL battles, as opposed to none now. They fought few battles really, because when the Mughal army moved into battle the Hindus used to vanish.

By the way, Mughal and Mongol are the same thing. Babur was a Muslim descendent of Genghis Khan and came from Samarkand, which is now in Uzbekistan. The early Mughals were Mongols and their mother tongue was Turkish, but the official language in Delhi was Persian. Therefore they spoke both languages.

Here's a video of the world GDP from the year 1600. Previous to that also, Muslim Hindustan was the largest economy along with China. It was destroyed after the coming of the British.

Mughal are Tartars not Mongols. From same region but different people. There was some intermixing with Mongol but Mughal are different from mongols.

Pushtuns were part of Mughal army and fabric of Mughal culture. Babur build his army in Afghanistan. Baluch were too little in numbers to really matter back than.

Yeah but we don't see it that way. Although you are speaking facts, Pashtun historians and Pashtun historiographers largely consider the Mughals as an oppressive force that eventually led to a War of Independence.

Our most decorated poet, Khushal Khan Khattak, led the revolt.

Pakistan is a very diverse country which is why you will get differing views and perspectives on empires and kingdoms that have ruled in the region throughout time.

Our history is thousands of years old. Why is there an obsession with Mughals who were here for just two to three hundred years? It means nothing significant in historical timeline. Move the hell on.
No, you have no history. Only thing Pakistan got to show before Mughals is Indus Valley Civilization. Mughals tribes are still in Pakistan but just not in power. Britishers hunted down any sign of Mughal or Muslim leadership after war of Independence in 1857.

Yeah but we don't see it that way. Although you are speaking facts, Pashtun historians and Pashtun historiographers largely consider the Mughals as an oppressive force that eventually led to a War of Independence.

Our most decorated poet, Khushal Khan Khattak, led the revolt.

Pakistan is a very diverse country which is why you will get differing views and perspectives on empires and kingdoms that have ruled in the region throughout time.
Of course, people see things from ethnic lenses. Punjabi see Hindus and Sikhs Punjabi ruling warlords as their hero now just because they fought non-Punjabi muslim King. Similarly, ethnic punshtuns glorify leader of their ethnicity even tho Mughal army had Pashtuns Generals.

Last edited:
I see that some nationalists have divided opinions on Mughals

Pashtuns tribes of Pakistan were clearly in conflict with Mughals- that whole Pashto language of the jinns thing

Punjab I would say it's complicated on one hand we historically celebrated fights against the Mughals ( folk Vaar ballods, my grandpa had a collection dk where they are now)

On the other hand a bunch of Mughal Generals, wazirs, prime ministers, administrators, governor's came from the region

In my experience muhajjir populace consider Mughals as their own in every sense of the word to the point in the early decades of Pakistan, as a state for Muslims of South Asia we were supposed to be a successor state to the Mughals (like how Russian czars were to the Romans or Byzantines were to the Romans - it's not exactly a new concept but we're a republic not an empire, so I'd discourage people to think along those lines)

What "kinda" relationship should we have as a people, country with Mughals?
@M. Sarmad @hydrabadi_arab
This problem/love thing is a virus that has infected the brains of Indians very badly. The world is not binary, and so is human opinion. We can have no opinion on things, and that is perfectly normal. If mughals were bad because they were Malaych or foreigners, then so are all Brahmans who came from Iran and Central Asia.

Back
Top Bottom