What's new

IDP camps being restricted to the NWFP?

Durran3

Reaction score
Thursday, May 21, 2009

By Dilshad Azeem

ISLAMABAD: The Punjab government has decided in principle not to allow camps for the internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the province, The News has learnt.

“The IDPs can cause trouble for the province just like the Afghan refugees. So, we have decided not to permit their entry or setting up of camps for them in the Punjab,” sources in the provincial government said.

However, the Punjab government has formed an inter-provincial coordination committee (IPCC), after consultation with the ANP-led Frontier government, to provide aid to the IDPs at their camps in the NWFP.

The IPCC comprises two members each from the Punjab and the NWFP. “The NWFP members will inform the Punjab government of the requirements of the IDPs.” The director general relief and the district coordination officer (DCO), Attock, would coordinate with the NWFP members of the IPCC as representatives of the Punjab.

“If it becomes mandatory for us to accommodate the IDPs any way, a computerised registration system would be set up to ensure strict check on their activities till their return,” the Punjab official sources said.

As the Punjab describes such restrictions as part of its security policy, the Frontier government believes that such a step would create provincial disharmony as no Pakistani citizen could be barred from staying at any corner of the country.

Director Public Relations (DPR), Punjab, Mohiuddin Wani, while speaking on behalf of the

provincial government, said any final decision about the issue would be taken once the IDPs started migrating to the province.

Responding to a query, the DPR said the Punjab government would welcome the displaced persons whenever it deemed necessary. ìPresently, the NWFP government is absorbing all the IDPs.î

Also, Director General Relief, Punjab, Rizwanullah Baig, said the people of the province were donating generously for the IDPs. ìWe will provide all kinds of material assistance to the displaced persons through a coordination committee.î

However, ANP Vice President Haji Muhammad Adeel said: ìYes, we have heard that the Punjab is not willing to take the IDPs and this step will send a wrong message to other provinces.î Adeel said the Punjab should also declare war on terror as the Frontier province had done. “Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has announced assistance for the IDPs, which is only peanuts in view of the fact that Punjab is the elder brother.”

PML-N Chairman Raja Zafarul Haq, in his talk with this correspondent on Monday, had given “rising temperature” as the major reason for not allowing the establishment of the IDPs’ camps in the Punjab.

A PML-N consultative round held in Islamabad last Monday with Nawaz Sharif in the chair had first discussed to adopt a policy of extending help to the displaced persons while retaining them within the NWFP.

Punjab not to allow IDP camps

You decide!! first of all Why does the Punjab government think the IDP's are Afghan Refugees? Are they not Pakistani !!! or is this blunt racism

You decide!! first of all Why does the Punjab government think the IDP's are Afghan Refugees? Are they not Pakistani !!! or is this blunt racism
I disagree with their decision, but I don't think its racism.

IDP's will obviously impose a cost on wherever they are settled - that's the cold hard fact, and I think that is probably why the GoPu went this route.

However, I strongly disagree with this decision since we are all Pakistanis and every provincial government should be willing to settle and assist Pakistanis in a time of crises wherever they can.

The GoNWFP was absolutely correct when it said this:
no Pakistani citizen could be barred from staying at any corner of the country.

That said, I don't believe the GoPu has categorically ruled out taking IDP's, as the article suggests:

“If it becomes mandatory for us to accommodate the IDPs any way, a computerised registration system would be set up to ensure strict check on their activities till their return,” the Punjab official sources said.

Director Public Relations (DPR), Punjab, Mohiuddin Wani, while speaking on behalf of the provincial government, said any final decision about the issue would be taken once the IDPs started migrating to the province.

Responding to a query, the DPR said the Punjab government would welcome the displaced persons whenever it deemed necessary. ìPresently, the NWFP government is absorbing all the IDPs.î

One also has to take in to account the fact that the current IDP's are being accommodated in existing IDP camps in the NWFP, which is easier from a logistical standpoint. If the IDP's can be resettled with a minimal amount of traveling then that is a better option.

This is absolutely nonsense and unacceptable, the provincial government has no right to stop them from settling anywhere in Punjab.

From an economic standpoint its cheaper not to have to build, maintain and protect refugee camps. But ethically its a disgrace to Pakistanis. Its going to continue to promote the idea that Punjab decides everything for Pakistan and thus cause inter-provincial tensions.

When you divide people from others, its going to create unique identities among them. Most of the refugees I've seen are speaking Arabic, not Urdu. If the refugees were allowed to come to Punjab, they could have had a better chance of learning about Pakistan.

But either way, Punjab is taking the economic standpoint by not building camps. Note that they HAVEN'T banned refugees from coming and buying/building houses, only disagreed with the idea of building camps.

From an economic standpoint its cheaper not to have to build, maintain and protect refugee camps. But ethically its a disgrace to Pakistanis. Its going to continue to promote the idea that Punjab decides everything for Pakistan and thus cause inter-provincial tensions.

See i understand that from an economic point of view!! But isn't Punjab the richest of all provinces BY FAR!! I am sure they are more than capable of handling a few Displaced Pakistani's. Why should NWFP bear all the brunt, last time i remember this was Pakistan's War not Pakhtun's War..

But i know they will take in IDP's without any problems as they haven't ruled out that possibility! but why make such statements in the first place!!

They didn't call them Afghani, they said that history may repeat itself. But it is rediculous to make such statements, these are Pakistanis, they have the right to stay in every corner of Pakistan. In fact, there is nothing the Punjab government can do to stop them from entering Punjab, all they can do is look like fools in front of their own people by not helping with the arrangement of accomodations. And once there is a massive IDP influx with nowhere to go, guess what, the government has no option but to go back on their word (which is difficult for some, but very easy for politicians). In any case, the general public will be at their doors welcoming these people.

But i know they will take in IDP's without any problems as they haven't ruled out that possibility! but why make such statements in the first place!!

Exactly.

A slap in the face of Punjab? It's a net positive, in the sense that it's so outrageous that it may compel Pakistanis to discuss nationally this whole business of regional and linguistic and ethnic identities and prejudices - it is clear a sectionof society is not sick of these prejudices and in fact hold on to them as if for dear life. Why is that? What's in it for them? Whay are these prejudices more important than the idea of Pakistan as a home of all who claim it as their home? How can these prejudices be attenuated?

Shame on those who are down playing this. First they bombed them for US $$$$ because of its own created Taliban and now they are not even allowed in Punjabi - and excuses are abundant. Ok, then what is this strict computerised whatever... for? Why? Does this apply in any Pakistani's or Panjabi's case? Isn't about winning hearts and minds and helping these poor citizens overcome the truma and provide them with best facilities, or is it really important to worry about putting restrictions on them and taint them as being hazadous or potentialy a danger, danger for what in Panjab? Hypocracy has no limit!

It called trade on Pakhtun blood.

Last edited:
Rubbish Reporting.
No one can stop any Pakistani from travelling to Punjab!
However, setting huge camps in Punjab will be very stupid thing to do at this point in time.
I really dislike such yellow journalism.
Logistically it will not be feasible and the weather is absolutely killing in Punjab with temperatures of 45-50 degrees centigrade and a persisting heatwave even at night.
This temperature is actually killing people due to heatstroke and we should move the mountain folk to Punjab far far away from their homes?

It is clear that the reporter wants to sensationalize something which is just a bag of wind and nothing more.

Do remember the earthquake relief and the massive help rendered out by all including those who live in Punjab, there is no way Punjabis will not help their brothers...to even think on these lines is nonsense and aversion to all past realities.

If later on due to some development the federal government takes a decision that IDP camps need to be established in Punjab then that is something Punjab government will have to comply with no matter what their political agenda.

And here lies the root to all your present and future intra-state conflicts. The same feeling of being ignored and dominated by Punjab and Sindh is harboured by Baluchis & FATA and this single act hjas served to highlight this point. And further underscored the fact that people of FATA and Baluchistan will be "looked down" upon. A stupid attitude by GoPu. And if the Federal government is allowing it, they need a boot on their behinds too.

If no dedicated camps are set up, the displacement will be haphazard and unchannelised as also the relief measures taken up by the GoP for the citizens. In addition, this will lead to social problems in respective areas, as these displaced citizens may have to resort to criminal behaviour to sustain their stay. A counter productive move.

UnKnOwN

From an economic standpoint its cheaper not to have to build, maintain and protect refugee camps.

That is not the issue here as it was known that camps will be needed and huge funding needed for the management of displaced citizens. Even in NWFP you shall need camps, so cost will be incurred irrespective of where they stay.

But either way, Punjab is taking the economic standpoint by not building camps.

Am sure they can cut the crap and ask for additional funding from GoP for the costs incurred. This logic is totally baseless as reimbursement will be done by GoP for any such camps put up.

Note that they HAVEN'T banned refugees from coming and buying/building houses, only disagreed with the idea of building camps

Also please note that when the offensives started in FATA, people did not go to local bamnks to withdraw their savings if any or sell their lands to get some finance to buy/build houses in Punjab!!!!!

What a poor example given by GoPu. It should be denounced for such an attitude.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

By Dilshad Azeem

ISLAMABAD: The Punjab government has decided in principle not to allow camps for the internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the province, The News has learnt.

“The IDPs can cause trouble for the province just like the Afghan refugees. So, we have decided not to permit their entry or setting up of camps for them in the Punjab,” sources in the provincial government said.

However, the Punjab government has formed an inter-provincial coordination committee (IPCC), after consultation with the ANP-led Frontier government, to provide aid to the IDPs at their camps in the NWFP.

The IPCC comprises two members each from the Punjab and the NWFP. “The NWFP members will inform the Punjab government of the requirements of the IDPs.” The director general relief and the district coordination officer (DCO), Attock, would coordinate with the NWFP members of the IPCC as representatives of the Punjab.

As the Punjab describes such restrictions as part of its security policy, the Frontier government believes that such a step would create provincial disharmony as no Pakistani citizen could be barred from staying at any corner of the country.

Director Public Relations (DPR), Punjab, Mohiuddin Wani, while speaking on behalf of the

provincial government, said any final decision about the issue would be taken once the IDPs started migrating to the province.

Also, Director General Relief, Punjab, Rizwanullah Baig, said the people of the province were donating generously for the IDPs. ìWe will provide all kinds of material assistance to the displaced persons through a coordination committee.î

However, ANP Vice President Haji Muhammad Adeel said: ìYes, we have heard that the Punjab is not willing to take the IDPs and this step will send a wrong message to other provinces.î Adeel said the Punjab should also declare war on terror as the Frontier province had done. “Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has announced assistance for the IDPs, which is only peanuts in view of the fact that Punjab is the elder brother.”

PML-N Chairman Raja Zafarul Haq, in his talk with this correspondent on Monday, had given “rising temperature” as the major reason for not allowing the establishment of the IDPs’ camps in the Punjab.

A PML-N consultative round held in Islamabad last Monday with Nawaz Sharif in the chair had first discussed to adopt a policy of extending help to the displaced persons while retaining them within the NWFP.

Punjab not to allow IDP camps

The bold part highlighted is supposed to be from the Punjab government reps but i don't see them making any such claim!
Which concerned official is saying that IDP camps shall not be allowed in Punjab by the Punjab Government?

Also the security in the NWFP camps is also being tightened as we have had few suicide bombings in IDP camps and many real threats are lingering their...security checks will be everywhere whether it is NWFP, Punjab, Baluchistan or Sindh.

Why we Pakistanis fall for such reports is beyond me...there is no such discrimination in most of Pakistan and least of all in Punjab because it is home to people from all the provinces and various ethnicities.
Whereas in Baluchistan or Tribal areas life is not possible for most outsiders...this is not the case in Punjab since it has a lot of ancient cities with very diverse communities.

I was born in Quetta and have been to most of the lovely cities in all the Pakistani provinces so i can say this on my personal experience...
Rest everyone can conclude according to their own perception and mindset!

I have seen here in Lahore many people contributing with all their heart in order to help their afflicted Pakistani brethren...i have never seen the people of Lahore question why they should help non Punjabis...they are true Pakistanis and do not give a damn about the provincial boundaries.

Please do not pay heed to such nonsense and by any means judging Punjabis by their provincial government is also folly; when most of us Pakistanis really dislike our politicians you would judge Punjabis by their politicians???

The bold part highlighted is supposed to be from the Punjab government reps but i don't see them making any such claim!
Which concerned official is saying that IDP camps shall not be allowed in Punjab by the Punjab Government?

Also the security in the NWFP camps is also being tightened as we have had few suicide bombings in IDP camps and many real threats are lingering their...security checks will be everywhere whether it is NWFP, Punjab, Baluchistan or Sindh.

Why we Pakistanis fall for such reports is beyond me...there is no such discrimination in most of Pakistan and least of all in Punjab because it is home to people from all the provinces and various ethnicities.
Whereas in Baluchistan or Tribal areas life is not possible for most outsiders...this is not the case in Punjab since it has a lot of ancient cities with very diverse communities.

I was born in Quetta and have been to most of the lovely cities in all the Pakistani provinces so i can say this on my personal experience...
Rest everyone can conclude according to their own perception and mindset!

I have seen here in Lahore many people contributing with all their heart in order to help their afflicted Pakistani brethren...i have never seen the people of Lahore question why they should help non Punjabis...they are true Pakistanis and do not give a damn about the provincial boundaries.

Please do not pay heed to such nonsense and by any means judging Punjabis by their provincial government is also folly; when most of us Pakistanis really dislike our politicians you would judge Punjabis by their politicians???

cannot comment as i dont have any information but unfortunately there is a campaign in Sindh to deny the IDPs entry into karachi and hyderabad!:tdown: who is behind this? your guess is as good as mine!

who is behind this? your guess is as good as mine!

The MQM and the JSQM [Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz]. Two parties that rarely see each other in the eye but have a common moot point here. Nationalism/Nationalistic politics at play here! :angry:

Actually Hellfire you are not a Pakistani so do not mind when i say you cannot really comment with full background here.

A lot of people close to me were directly involved in Kashmir relief operation after the earthquake...clever people from other provinces also went there and claimed the funds and also occupied land claiming to be the afflicted Kashmiris...made the job really tough!

This kind of nonsense does happen in the world and those who do not take these things into consideration are fools.

There is no need to establish IDP camps far away from SWAT.
It is downright stupid to even suggest at this point in time and will not only be logistically a bad desicion but also need much more scrutiy and checks because instead of SWATIs reaching such a far off camp the chances of others occuppying and leeching onto the fundings are much more real and will have a much higher percentage!
If you factor in the immense heat in Punjab it will be a torture...this is the worst weather of the year in Punjab and many people here also die of heatstrokes!

From all points of view this is not a logical suggestion and the intent of the author to me is clear...brew an ethnic conflict which TTP desperately tries to ignite but has failed to do so.

For your information do have a look at the history of Pakistan, its Presidents, Prime Ministers, Military Chiefs, Governors and IGs...you will see how stupid this Punjabi dominance claim really is.
On the other hand also see the names of the martyrs in the Swat conflict...you will see many Punjabis here so all this conspiracy theory of Punjab lurking in the shadows and making others suffer is BS of the highest order.

Back
Top Bottom